Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

John T

Feb 15, 2022
For the new Switch, can Taiko tell us the specs of the DC input barrel, so we can order a suitable linear power supply?
- polarity (e.g., inside negative)
- inner and outer diameter
- voltage and current requirements

Polarity is not standardized, so anyone ordering a LPS should be careful to get this right. Not sure what happens if you reverse it, perhaps just blowing a fuse?
As far as inner/outer diameter. I always find 2.5mm ID loose, 2.1mm ID is typically more snug. My JCAT LPS came with 2 DC cables. The one I power my router with is a bit loose (not surprising) I A little trick is a round toothpick 2.1mm will not fall out.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
As far as inner/outer diameter. I always find 2.5mm ID loose, 2.1mm ID is typically more snug. My JCAT LPS came with 2 DC cables. The one I power my router with is a bit loose (not surprising) I A little trick is a round toothpick 2.1mm will not fall out.
Sounds like you might be using a 2.5mm barrel connector on a 2.1mm chassis connector.
I will advise you to replace your DC cables/connectors.

if you are using the TACDA card with the analog/RCA output, you can play any format PCM/DSD files, and any resolution
Per the DAC chip specs:
Sampling Frequency 32 kHz to 768 kHz (PCM mode)
DSD 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz, 22.4 MHz Available
BTW, this DAC chip is a very good candidate for PGGB.

For SPDIF digital output, my guess is that the limit is 192 kHz PCM.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
are all of you who are spending big money on an LPS doing this as a stop gap until the BPS arrives or are you not going with the BPS? Emile said that a cheap wall wart will suffice until the BPS arrives

Reactions: Armsan

John T

Feb 15, 2022
are all of you who are spending big money on an LPS doing this as a stop gap until the BPS arrives or are you not going with the BPS? Emile said that a cheap wall wart will suffice until the BPS arrives
I think many of us already have a decent LPS, I'm just using what I have until BPS comes to fruition...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

I have a Sean Jacobs DC3 that I built for my Buffalo switches. I will use it to power the Taiko Switch.

• Love
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think many of us already have a decent LPS, I'm just using what I have until BPS comes to fruition...
That was my plan as well.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Sounds like you might be using a 2.5mm barrel connector on a 2.1 chassis connector.
I will advise you to replace your DC cables/connectors.

Per the DAC chip specs:
Sampling Frequency 32 kHz to 768 kHz (PCM mode)
DSD 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz, 22.4 MHz Available
BTW, this DAC chip is a very good candidate for PGGB.

For SPDIF digital output, my guess is that the limit is 192 kHz PCM.
Your right JCAT used 2.5 rather than 2.1. The point I should have made was many times the chassis connector is mislabeled as 2.5mm. I'm going to re-solder the proper 2.1 on the JCAT cable. Believe me that would be much easier than to have them do it or send me the proper cable.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Instead of the BPS?
I will not be getting the BPS. I have good incoming AC and have Shunyata AC filtering and grounding solutions. I don’t think spending $20-$30K on a BPS will give me enough of a benefit over the excellent power supply already built into the Extreme and the aforementioned incoming AC quality.
I also don’t want to be without an Extreme while it gets shipped back and returned without its internal power supply!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Standard DC barrel polarity
I guess you didn’t read my post thoroughly ;) and Taiko has not confirmed this (I did see Christiaan’s PDF, thanks).
There is no such thing as a “standard DC barrel polarity”. I have components with both polarity setups in my system…

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
+1. I will power mine with an ordinary 12 Volt, 60 Amp, ordinary AGM battery until the arrival of the BPS, if I can afford it.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I'm sure this has been addressed and I apologize for redundancy. Is The Taiko Switch 2.5mm ID?? Someone please confirm, many thanks...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Instead of the BPS?

Well, I don't have the BPS yet (obviously) and I am not sure if I will get it since it will expensive. Once Emile provides the cost and the upgrade path I will decide.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I guess you didn’t read my post thoroughly ;) and Taiko has not confirmed this (I did see Christiaan’s PDF, thanks).
There is no such thing as a “standard DC barrel polarity”. I have components with both polarity setups in my system…

Inside is positive, outside “ground”, as it should be.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Your right JCAT used 2.5 rather than 2.1. The point I should have made was many times the chassis connector is mislabeled as 2.5mm. I'm going to re-solder the proper 2.1 on the JCAT cable. Believe me that would be much easier than to have them do it or send me the proper cable.
I would look into the Elecaudio DC plugs. The fit is best I have found so far with barrel plugs. Much better than the Oyaide which seem to be the standard. They are also made with solid copper rather than brass so conductivity will be better which could mean better sound.

Attachments

• elecaudio-dct-25g-jack-dc-55-25mm-connector-tellurium-copper-gold-plated-3.jpg
    elecaudio-dct-25g-jack-dc-55-25mm-connector-tellurium-copper-gold-plated-3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 21

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For powering the switch I will be ordering a custom DC cable from Ghent Audio with 2.1mm at one end (Uptone LPS 1.2) and 2.5mm at the other end.

This would be my choice:
ghentaudio --- DC-GAC4 Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) Cable

Ditto. I have an Uptone JS-2 and use the Gotham 11301 JSSG360 you identified. Ghent Audio is an outstanding direct sales vendor. THis is an excellent combo on my Nordost QNET switch. I may keep the Nordost switch in series with the Taiko (is "pre-conditioning" valuable?) but the nice part of the JS-2 is that is can output to 2 devices easily so all I'll need is another cable.
I also have another Chinese power supplies that is excellent. For $130 each, it could probably serve equally well. (It can be found on Ali Express with several manufacturer labels, none of which you have ever heard of.)

Reactions: simorag

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing