Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
@cp

in the photos for the beautiful system in Viet Nam, there is one that shows a full screen xdms image of what looks like an album cover. i have yet to see that screen view in my system, although i do get the mini-player at the bottom.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
@cp

in the photos for the beautiful system in Viet Nam, there is one that shows a full screen xdms image of what looks like an album cover. i have yet to see that screen view in my system, although i do get the mini-player at the bottom.
When you go to an album view click on the expansion arrows next to the picture, then click on expansion again. You will get a full screen display.

Steve Z

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
When you go to an album view click on the expansion arrows next to the picture, then click on expansion again. You will get a full screen display.

Steve Z
thanks Steve.
since i only use folder mode, i'd never seen this :cool:

Reactions: oldmustang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They use software and hardware from Merging (Hapi ADC/DAC) and other high end devices.
You find some info about here:

Matt

Thanks - very interesting comments. It is nice that they use Merging products - some of my best digital recordings were recorded using Merging recording solutions.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Yes we actually most likely will. In this case we‘d be looking for a degree market adaptation and this has been a very expansive project meaning it would probably end up retailing at the same 10-20K if only purchased by say just 20% of Extreme owners currently owning a DAC in that price range…

I am not sure I realize what is the full value offered to an Extreme user by the PCIe card.

It is clear that an user without a top flight DAC (as myself) could benefit from the onboard DAC, but I assume that most Extreme users have already a DAC above 20k, or (as myself) have one in the purchase pipeline, aiming to the best possible SQ.

As I understand it, the upcoming PCIe card will not be equipped with the TACDD proprietary physical interface. Is it correct?

However, given that the PCIe card will have "regular" digital outputs, I assume that they will provide better SQ than USB to an existing DAC.

If that is correct as well, the roadmap for an Extreme user aiming to top SQ would be in the short term to get the TACDx card and using it as a DDC (digital-to-digital) converter only (limited to 24/192), connected to a top flight DAC via e.g. BNC, and wait for a future development where Taiko provides a new PCIe card equipped with the proprietary interface, and the receiving DAC has the corresponding interface available.

Finally, I understand that the DAC receiver module could be installed as a retrofit of a current production DAC and does not necessarily require a DAC developed from scratch with it.

Am I getting all this right?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The value is:
-a start with addressing one of the largest SQ limiting issues in high res digital playback
-being able to offer a much requested feature (one box solution)
-significantly upgrade our SPDIF output option
-a potential direct upgrade for about 20% of our customers
-expanding to a medium timeframe upgrade for about 60% of our customers (2023)
-over a longer timeframe possibly providing an upgrade to 90% of our customers (into 2024)

It is not meant to replace USB with SPDIF.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Taiko Audio
Emile,
is an Extreme with a less expensive casework (to fund partially the BPS) still on the roadmap?
Thx

Matt

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@Taiko Audio
Emile,
is an Extreme with a less expensive casework (to fund partially the BPS) still on the roadmap?
Thx

Matt

We‘ll have several options when the time comes, our focus though has shifted to as much in house manufacturing, finishing included, as possible, this may affect the options we‘ll offer.

Markus87

Feb 10, 2021
Solothurn, Switzerland
The value is:
-a start with addressing one of the largest SQ limiting issues in high res digital playback
-being able to offer a much requested feature (one box solution)
-significantly upgrade our SPDIF output option
-a potential direct upgrade for about 20% of our customers
-expanding to a medium timeframe upgrade for about 60% of our customers (2023)
-over a longer timeframe possibly providing an upgrade to 90% of our customers (into 2024)

It is not meant to replace USB with SPDIF.
Hi Emile,

Am I interpreting this correctly...
1) The 20% for a direct upgrade are the customers that have a DAC worse than the PCIe onboard DAC plus maybe some that have no or non XMOS USB DACS and/or want a one box solution (server plus DAC)?
2) the additional 40% are all that could replace the XMOS or Amanero receiver in their DAC with an upcoming TACDD receiver replacement board?
3) the rest is the ones that can count on direct TACDD implementation by DAC manufacturers you are working on a collaboration like MSB or Lampizator?
4) as the first next gen card is not meant to replace the USB card, it will not provide superior sonic performance via SPDIF vs the current USB option - leaving the sample rate limitation to 24/192 a side of course? So no intermediate upgrade track for current XMOS DAC owners?

Markus

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks a lot for the answers Emile!
Please let me rephrase question 4.

If one is fine with 24/192 and no DSD/DXD, would SPDIF on the next gen card provide a sonic upgrade vs USB XMOS?

Markus

Not sure, the thing is, the more time we spend with it, the more improvements we find, parameters effecting sound quality, some expected, some unexpected, even just the driver code has an incredibly large effect on the resulting sound, what we are used to listening too is severely compromised with regards to transients, dynamics and timing but also texture, spatial information, decay..

Bottom line, we‘re just getting started here, it‘s brand new technology.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Is the new network card plug & play or will there be drivers to install?

drjimwillie

Mar 26, 2020
I would like to confirm please,
if you are using the TACDA card with the analog/RCA output, you can play any format PCM/DSD files, and any resolution i.e. PGGB files that can be processed by your CPU?

do you have a ballpark for the cost? $3k and under, $5k and under?

can it be powered externally?

this is extremely exciting, thank you

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
For the new Switch, can Taiko tell us the specs of the DC input barrel, so we can order a suitable linear power supply?
- polarity (e.g., inside negative)
- inner and outer diameter
- voltage and current requirements

Polarity is not standardized, so anyone ordering a LPS should be careful to get this right. Not sure what happens if you reverse it, perhaps just blowing a fuse?

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
For the new Switch, can Taiko tell us the specs of the DC input barrel, so we can order a suitable linear power supply?

Polarity is not standardized, so anyone ordering a LPS should be careful to get this right. Not sure what happens if you reverse it, perhaps just blowing a fuse?
Power Connector and Consumption

The Switch consumes around 500mA @ 12V
Standard DC barrel polarity
2.5mm Connector diameter
The Switch has a pretty wide range input of 12V-19V DC

See https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...treme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-845617

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

This information and a ton other is in the PDF posted by @Christiaan Punter a day or so ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing