Taiko Audio Extreme Router

You have 2 options. One is getting a NAS like Steve did which is high powered and can hold a huge library. This choice probably eliminates your ability to power the NAS from the DCD since it draws a lot of power.

The other option is to get a lower powered NAS which is what I got. Synology DS224+. I power this from the DCD and it is located near the router. I have 2 12 TB drives in it which gives me about 20 TB which is way more than I will ever need.
I really wanted to power mine via the DCD but as you said my library was too large and not enough power so
I have it in a bedroom downstairs attached to my main router and it sounds terrific. I had my doubts going this way but as always Taiko said to have faith, which I did and I couldn't be happier

Reactions: dminches
Thx for your answers!
So I would need a hard disk drive inside the Synology.
A Synology hard disk would be good? Other, better choices?

Running it from the DCD certainly is a good thing, I think.
Best to connect it to:
ips router (Fritzbox 5590 fiber)
Taiko router
Taiko switch
with a LAN cable

for both downloads and replay?

Remote placement, another lps, connecting it to a switch in another room: is it less desirable?

This would be also a backup for recordings I plan to put on the internal storage of my Extreme.
I am looking forward to the DSD and DXD downloads QOBUZ has announced.

Cheers, Ulrich

Attachments

• IMG_4677.jpeg
    IMG_4677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4678.jpeg
    IMG_4678.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
As David correctly mentions, using a NAS is already an option with the Olympus and Extreme Router.

I see the confusion here. I have an Extreme and a router and want to know when that combo will support an NAS functionality.

I see the confusion here. I have an Extreme and a router and want to know when that combo will support an NAS functionality.

Marty, do you mean for XDMS? I have an Extreme and a router and already use a NAS for Roon. As long as the router is on your network, either the Taiko or home, you can access it for Roon running on the Extreme. XDMS does not currently support a music library that is not internal.

Thx for your answers!
So I would need a hard disk drive inside the Synology.
A Synology hard disk would be good? Other, better choices?

Running it from the DCD certainly is a good thing, I think.
Best to connect it to:
ips router (Fritzbox 5590 fiber)
Taiko router
Taiko switch
with a LAN cable

for both downloads and replay?

Remote placement, another lps, connecting it to a switch in another room: is it less desirable?

This would be also a backup for recordings I plan to put on the internal storage of my Extreme.
I am looking forward to the DSD and DXD downloads QOBUZ has announced.

Cheers, Ulrich

I am using Western Digital Red drives. I don't think it is necessary to get Synology drives.

Remember, a NAS is not a backup so whatever you have on the NAS should be backed up elsewhere. I am not running a RAID array with any redundancy so if either drive fails I have to rebuild the entire volume. That's why a backup is essential.

Reactions: Taiko Audio
@engadin , good suggestions from @dminches , you could even opt for 2 single bay (drive) Synologys and have one backup to the other automatically. I would make backups in stead of syncing content as if you sync and you delete and/or corrupt the source you lose your backup anyway as the corruption will be replicated. You can even set this up using 2 different locations, like one at the office and one at home.

Reactions: dminches
Marty, do you mean for XDMS? I have an Extreme and a router and already use a NAS for Roon. As long as the router is on your network, either the Taiko or home, you can access it for Roon running on the Extreme. XDMS does not currently support a music library that is not internal.

of course i use xdms :)

so @taiko, when will xdms support music on an NAS?

my understanding was that this functionality was coming via the router, which
i had assumed (wrongly?) the router implementation made it extreme/olympus independent. if this is available with both boxes but only with roon, i'm blocked here.

of course i use xdms :)

so @taiko, when will xdms support music on an NAS?

my understanding was that this functionality was coming via the router, which
i had assumed made it extreme/olympus independent. if this is available with both boxes but only with roon, i'm blocked here.

Hi @cat6man ,

XDMS NAS support is unrelated to the router, it “only” needs the ability to use an ip-address in stead of a drive letter as the music storage location. As for the ETA on that, best ask Ed.

The discussion here is exclusively about turning the Router into a large capacity (but single drive) NAS which, to be practical in use, should enable it to support content from mac or pc formatted filesystems on large harddrives. It currently only supports linux (ext4) formatted USB sticks. This functionality is under development.

What we don’t currently know is if this is going to perform the same, better or worse than a NAS (I strongly suspect the same).

Reactions: Armsan
Hi @cat6man ,

XDMS NAS support is unrelated to the router, it “only” needs the ability to use an ip-address in stead of a drive letter as the music storage location. As for the ETA on that, best ask Ed.

The discussion here is exclusively about turning the Router into a large capacity (but single drive) NAS which, to be practical in use, should enable it to support content from mac or pc formatted filesystems on large harddrives. It currently only supports linux (ext4) formatted USB sticks. This functionality is under development.

What we don’t currently know is if this is going to perform the same, better or worse than a NAS (I strongly suspect the same).

I'm almost there.
So NAS on router is defined by USB HDD plugged into the router, with router software providing the nas functionality.

With this or any other nas on the network, xdms still needs a new feature to permit an IP address to be used as the music drive.

When this feature is available, will it be possible to have 2 drives, internal plus an NAS

Q: what if the nas is mapped as a windows drive? Could D: be replaced by another drive such as E:?

Regarding the router HDD, my home is all linux and ext4 already! Is this something I could do now or would this still have to wait for xdms support for IP addresses?

I'm guessing that the Olympus can use an NAS today because of roon functionality?

Going forward, it would be good in these discussions to identify extreme/Olympus and xdms/roon.

I'm almost there.
So NAS on router is defined by USB HDD plugged into the router, with router software providing the nas functionality.
Correct

With this or any other nas on the network, xdms still needs a new feature to permit an IP address to be used as the music drive.
Correct

When this feature is available, will it be possible to have 2 drives, internal plus an NAS
Yes, there’s no real limit though I’d stop at say 252 ;)

Q: what if the nas is mapped as a windows drive? Could D: be replaced by another drive such as E:?

That’s possible but degrades SQ, it’s better to just use the direct IP-address

Regarding the router HDD, my home is all linux and ext4 already! Is this something I could do now or would this still have to wait for xdms support for IP addresses?
You will need to wait for xdms support for IP addresses

I'm guessing that the Olympus can use an NAS today because of roon functionality?
Correct

Going forward, it would be good in these discussions to identify extreme/Olympus and xdms/roon.
Good suggestion!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu