Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Christiaan Punter

My switch is coming shortly so I will see for myself, but it appears that there are TWO DAC cable ports from the recent comments vs. what the drawing on the Taiko Switch page shows. Is this the case?
View attachment 105715
There are two SFP+ ports that can take either SFP modules (such as FTP or Fiber connector modules) or indeed DAC cables (that connect in the slots directly). In most use cases, a combination of RJ45 and DAC will be used, with RJ45 on the "source" or "upstream" end, coming from the Router.

Reactions: Rhapsody

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
There are two generic ports. You can switch DAC vs RJ45 based on the adaptor.

Reactions: Rhapsody

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
The Extreme must be powered off for the removal/installation of any internal hardware components. After that, it can be switched back on and then the installation script can be run.

As it is winter, I would like to add that grounding oneself by touching the chassis of the Extreme for a few seconds while it is connected to the mains to discharge oneself will be helpful.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I could hear a difference (maybe because I am using only headphones). With the DAC cable installed nearer to the power DC inlet, the sound is smoother, more organic, and coherent. When I had it the other way round, it was thinner and sounded hollow.

I prefer it with the DAC cable installed nearer to the power DC inlet.

I do prefer it that way aswell :)

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022
That is a good suggestion.

Btw. for the ones that have more dust built up (due to carpets and so forth), is there a best practice recommend by Taiko for getting the dust of the Extreme’s valuable „intestines“ while we already have removed the top plate?
I was thinking about a Swiffer anti-dust magnet fluffy thing (which I regularly use on the outside for my components), but I‘m not sure if it‘s not potentially causing a static charge?
Maybe if applied very slowly and then do the above described static discharge / grounding routine, before turning the Extreme back on again?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated to safely take care of our baby! :)

Reactions: gereric

Christiaan Punter

As it is winter, I would like to add that grounding oneself by touching the chassis of the Extreme for a few seconds while it is connected to the mains to discharge oneself will be helpful.
That is a good suggestion.
This has been added to the documents, along with various other helpful bits of info. As always, the latest versions can be found on the Taiko website at the bottom of the product pages.

Reactions: oldmustang

Christiaan Punter

Btw. for the ones that have more dust built up (due to carpets and so forth), is there a best practice recommend by Taiko for getting the dust of the Extreme’s valuable „intestines“ while we already have removed the top plate?
I was thinking about a Swiffer anti-dust magnet fluffy thing (which I regularly use on the outside for my components), but I‘m not sure if it‘s not potentially causing a static charge?
Maybe if applied very slowly and then do the above described static discharge / grounding routine, before turning the Extreme back on again?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated to safely take care of our baby! :)
I would caution against swiffering or otherwise swiping/cleaning/vacuuming the insides as these actions may indeed add static charges. Please don't worry about accumulated dust on the inside. For the most important parts, the cooling takes place on the Extreme's outside via massive over-specified heatsinks.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Christian please confirm if this is correct.

1.- We install the Network card.

2.- We turn on Extreme, BUT WITH THE OLD NETWORK CONNECTION, IE WITH AN ETHERNET CABLE TO AN RJ45 PORT ON THE EXTREME MOTHERBOARD.

3.- Run the Script connecting with VNC

4.- Restart Extreme

5.- Remove the RJ45 cable from the RJ45 port of Extreme and connect the DAC cable to Extreme and the Taiko Switch.

6.- We connect Switch Taiko and our Router with Ethernet cable

7.- We pray fervently

8.- We load XDMS

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
There are two SFP+ ports that can take either SFP modules (such as FTP or Fiber connector modules) or indeed DAC cables (that connect in the slots directly). In most use cases, a combination of RJ45 and DAC will be used, with RJ45 on the "source" or "upstream" end, coming from the Router.
Then in fact the drawing that only shows one output port on the Switch page is not accurate. No big deal, looking at the diagram always made me think there was one input port and one output port.

OR are there only two ports and they are generic as you say so that you can use either port for input or for output? But it seems using the port closer to the power port for output sounds better?

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
For sure. Next time we do a larger volume presale we’ll allocate an extra 2-3 weeks for assembly/preparation and perhaps smaller batches. This has been, and still is a little crazy :)

@Taiko Audio

Do you think the balance of the switches will go out this week?

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

Then in fact the drawing that only shows one output port on the Switch page is not accurate. No big deal, looking at the diagram always made me think there was one input port and one output port.

OR are there only two ports and they are generic as you say so that you can use either port for input or for output? But it seems using the port closer to the power port for output sounds better?
The Switch has two identical ports, both SPF+ and you can insert either SFP adapter modules for RJ45 or Fiber, or DAC cables directly. The diagram shows the most common use case.

Christiaan Punter

Christian please confirm if this is correct.

1.- We install the Network card.

2.- We turn on Extreme, BUT WITH THE OLD NETWORK CONNECTION, IE WITH AN ETHERNET CABLE TO AN RJ45 PORT ON THE EXTREME MOTHERBOARD.
Correct. You can also connect to the new Ethernet Card but do note that it will have a different IP Address which affects XDMS/Roon remote control and VNC access.
3.- Run the Script connecting with VNC

4.- Restart Extreme
A restart is automatically prompted by the script.
5.- Remove the RJ45 cable from the RJ45 port of Extreme and connect the DAC cable to Extreme and the Taiko Switch.

6.- We connect Switch Taiko and our Router with Ethernet cable

7.- We pray fervently

8.- We load XDMS
Correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If the network card works even if you don’t run the script why do you have to first connect to the Extreme using the MOBO ethernet port?

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Once the Taiko OS update became available a year ago, I got rid of the switches and fiber in my IT chain with a great improvement in SQ. I’ve since spent the past few months re-optimizing my IT network in preparation for the new network card, switch and router to get my Extreme to sound as good as possible with only a modem, router and two LAN cables in the chain between the ISP cable coming into my place and the Extreme. This made it possible to evaluate just the LAN cable type/length as well as linear power supplies for the modem and router to find the best combination. The ISP uses coaxial cable to my place. So even when the Taiko router becomes available, I will need to keep a modem to convert from coaxial to ethernet cable (WAN). For that I’m using an Arris SB8200 modem with a Farad Super3 PSU with level-2 copper DC cable.

Recently I switched from a Ubiquity Amplifi all in one dual band wireless router located in my music room to an Edgerouter-X located near my modem and a Ubiquity AirCube access point located in my listening room about twenty feet away from the Extreme. The router is powered by a Plexir Elite BPS 12-volt supply with their upgrade DC cable. I’ve found the Plexir supply to be more engaging than the Farad. The Farad does nothing wrong, but the Plexir definitely makes more music in my system.
The AirCube access point is 2.4GHz only which is fine for using with a controller tablet and minimizes RF in the listening room. With the antenna gain turned all the way down using its app. I still get three out of four bars on my controller tablet. The Aircube is powered by an IFI iPowerX 5 volt supply.
With the router now located near the modem, I’m using a one-meter Sablon internet cable between the two. Then a 20 foot CAT5e UTP (Belden 7928A with Molex 0449150021 connectors) from the router to the Extreme. This particular Belden cable uses 26-gauge solid copper conductors with Teflon insulation. The connectors use heavy gold plating and the pins crimp directly to the wires. Making a simple and direct connection.
Surprisingly the Belden cable sounds better in one direction than the other as I found out by accident when I was evaluating cables and accidently switched up the direction. It sounds more transparent when it is oriented with the signal flow in the opposite direction of the writing on the cable jacket. I wonder if this will be the same for DAC cables? When the Taiko router becomes available, I plan to try a 20 foot DAC cable between the router and Taiko switch.
This particular combination of modem, router, cables and power supplies is producing the best sound that I have ever heard in my system by far. To the point that I don’t want to leave the listening chair. Everything sounds totally engaging, natural and organic. I could listen to it forever.
Changing even one device, PSU or cable in the IT chain can make or break the sound that I have right now. I’ve landed on a sweet spot and have no desire to touch anything until the new network card and switch arrive (tomorrow) and eventually the router when it becomes available.
If the SQ gets even better after adding the Taiko switch, card and DAC cable I may have to incorporate a porta-john in my listening chair.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
More convenient for those who don’t know how to update their VNC IP address.

I guess I will know once I do this but won’t the IP address change once you do start using the card?

Reactions: cat6man

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
What diagram? The net work card came with instructions. The switch(I assume is name, Man is it heavy for such a small item) came with no instructions. They are both installed and functioning is there anything else I have to do? I believe my extreme was previously fully updated.
Thanks

Reactions: Taiko Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing