Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019

Safety first with LiFe batteries. Astonishing current delivery

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I've been an enthusiastic follower of this thread. I was wondering if Taiko will be opening a dedicated thread. That would be convenient for discussing other products such as the switch, network card, the upcoming router, etc. This thread has been very unwieldy when trying to find specific information. I feel now, with newer products, this single thread will make it even more difficult to parse specific info relating to individual products. Thoughts?
Pretty easy to search this thread for posts by Emile or other Taiko Audio staff members (most everything else is speculation if it concerns products):

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 5.53.13 PM.png

If you click on "Advanced" you can get even more granular searches.

My personal preference only, but if the existing thread is divided up then I have that many more places to check each day and that many more searches to do when I want to learn what Emile, Ed, Christiaan or other Taiko team members have to say. So I am not in favor of a bunch of sub-threads.

Steve Z

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I've been an enthusiastic follower of this thread. I was wondering if Taiko will be opening a dedicated thread. That would be convenient for discussing other products such as the switch, network card, the upcoming router, etc. This thread has been very unwieldy when trying to find specific information. I feel now, with newer products, this single thread will make it even more difficult to parse specific info relating to individual products. Thoughts?
No

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Definitely not

I understand your comments but everything that you are seeking can be found on the Taiko audio website. Also the same information has been posted here many times by ChristiaanP

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Need some input: Reached out to Support, eventually I'm certain I will hear back. I'm sure they can look at the Extreme log for stoppages. New Switch, old network card, RJ45 in/out. I'm using Roon. Getting a pause in Albums. This morning it did it after 9 tracks, I'm counting to see if its symmetrical, its not, just did it again. I have changed cables, power supplies, continues to do it. 1 gig internet, speeds are fine. Old switch M12 never had this issue. When the pause occurs 5-10 seconds and it go's back to where it pauses. I hit play and it resumes. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I'm GETTING FRUSTRATED...

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Is this with streaming or with local files?
A pause with local files could point to an all too common troublesome roon release. Once queued, roon continues playing even if you unplug the network cable. I doubt the switch could be at fault im this scenario.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022

John T

Feb 15, 2022
A pause with local files could point to an all too common troublesome roon release. Once queued, roon continues playing even if you unplug the network cable. I doubt the switch could be at fault im this scenario.
It doesn't do it with the M12 Switch...

Reactions: RyanTX

John T

Feb 15, 2022
With reluctance I just inserted the M12 back in the system, I'll continue with it in the system all day to see if anything occurs. Did it yesterday without incident but not for over a prolonged period of time...If it doesn't do it with the M12 I don't know what else to conclude?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Its not the new Switch! Just happened again with the M12! Must be ROON related!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank You, Roon requested an update yesterday. Up to yesterday no issues so its seems as though it is as you suggested Roon related...

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Thank You, Roon requested an update yesterday. Up to yesterday no issues so its seems as though it is as you suggested Roon related...
Good to hear and unfortunately not surprising at all. It seems to me Roon has considerably shortened their release cycles. Luckily we have XDMS to the rescue!

Reactions: Armsan

QuantumWave

Feb 5, 2021
I am not sure if this will help anyone, but I was having a buffalo switch upstream and I had to disable Jumbo frame and flow control, it seems to impact negatively on everything (sonically and in network performance) and interfere with the switch.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Good to hear and unfortunately not surprising at all. It seems to me Roon has considerably shortened their release cycles. Luckily we have XDMS to the rescue!
I wish I had XDMS, for now still using TAS as my backup. To be honest ROON was working perfectly up to yesterday...Thank You Again...John

Reactions: Armsan

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I wish I had XDMS, for now still using TAS as my backup. To be honest ROON was working perfectly up to yesterday...Thank You Again...John

Is TAS working as expected?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Is TAS working as expected?
So far so good with TAS. Now I'm wondering if I run ROON through my laptop and not ipad if that will prevent the pausing issue?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm getting pauses while playing files or streaming. Never had this happen. With Roon into the Album it stops, it says nothing playing, after about 5 seconds it go's back to where it paused. I have to hit play from here or play and it resumes. Its done this several times...Its not speeds I have 1gig...EDIT Just switched from the plain Jane inexpensive UTP CAT6a to CAT8, lets see if this stops the pausing...EDIT # 2 Its not the cables pause happened again...

I have been getting pauses with Roon for more than a week. I found that re-starting the Extreme solves the problem for a couple of days, so I am doing it occasionally. I tested the net link - perfect 198 Mbps - it should not be a network problem. Sometimes the playback stopped and I had to press play to resume playing.

Reactions: John T

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
So far so good with TAS. Now I'm wondering if I run ROON through my laptop and not ipad if that will prevent the pausing issue?

If TAS is working why did you think it was a hardware issue? Any time Roon isn’t working you should try TAS since it is unlikely a hardware issue.

Last edited:

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I’m ordering an aftermarket dac cable for my switch from qsa-lanedri.com as they have a deal going on. I've tested it, and it sounds significantly better than stock.

Is there any further news on whether the LAN cable or the DAC cable sounds best between the Taiko Router and Switch?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing