Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Will the DC cable in the last switch be considered of more importance than DAC cable in a switch to switch configuration?

Last edited:
I agree with what has been said about the fantastic SQ of the new Backend, but would add the wonderful bass control it provides. Control and extension. Danger because I live in an apartment building…….

Reactions: DW101 and simorag
I don’t see anything there by the Ramones…..
It might not be the Ramones but I agree that there is not one single album suggested here that would ever get a play on my system.

Anyone try 2 Extreme Switches, connected together by fiber cable? How's the resulting sound? Thanks.

As much as I’d like to sell 2 switches in stead of 1, it would be inferior to 1 Extreme switch with RJ45 in, mainly due to the fiber SFP modules power consumption.

As much as I’d like to sell 2 switches in stead of 1, it would be inferior to 1 Extreme switch with RJ45 in, mainly due to the fiber SFP modules power consumption.
Hi Emile,
If the two Extreme Switches are connected by a DAC cable, the overall result is still inferior to using one Extreme Switch?
Thanks.

Hi Emile,
If the two Extreme Switches are connected by a DAC cable, the overall result is still inferior to using one Extreme Switch?
Thanks.

Hmm, it does sound different but we have another, imho smarter, method of “tuning” coming up.

Hmm, it does sound different but we have another, imho smarter, method of “tuning” coming up.
gosh I 've been waiting to hear about routers as Emile drops another pearl of the day

We’re just finishing up the documentation. Should be up in 1-2 hours.

Emile, based on your testing, how would you compare the impact of adding the router (along with isolating the Extreme on its own network) on top of the switch to the effect we experienced with just adding the switch and network card?

Reactions: Armsan
Emile, based on your testing, how would you compare the impact of adding the router (along with isolating the Extreme on its own network) on top of the switch to the effect we experienced with just adding the switch and network card?
Same question!!! :)

I spent the entire day here with @Christiaan Punter trying to gauge just that.

Although they impact sound quality in different ways we feel the distribution is as follows.

Setting 100% improvement as a baseline (actual improvement subject to your perception), Networkcard and Switch combined 60%, Router 40%, drilling down further, Networkcard 20%, Switch 40%, Router 40%.

This however does not include the new Extreme DC power distributor, which allows you to power both Switch and Router from one single power supply with significant improved performance over using 2 power supplies with the additional option to tailor the sound to your personal preference.

Reactions: ctydwn and John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing