Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Can anyone explain technically what these Alt router settings are doing? (without divulging anything proprietary)?
The three outputs (Default, Alt1, and Alt2) represent the Power Distributor's different noise filter types. Please see the DCD document for more in-depth information.

Attachments

• Extreme DC Power Distributor_v012.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: wil and oldmustang
i’m patiently waiting for a comparison between the TACDA and the Formula XHD.
any thoughts Christian?
Alas, I've not yet heard the TACDA. This is to be planned shortly and you can be sure I will write my impressions here:)

As it stands, based on what Emile and Ed tell me, I have the impression that the Taiko DAC as implemented in the Extreme Music Server is exceptional and will at the very least challenge the Formula in certain areas. But it will be best to first make the comparison in person before I make any harder claims.

For those who are trying various DCD combinations- have you also found that the signature of the filter is stronger when used on the switch?

So how does all of this shake out when or if you go to the BPS? You have your ears now wrapped around what you like, Default, ALT1, AL2, what ever floats your boat. Then you go to BPS and eliminate the Power Distributer. It seems to me then you have total realignment...
Or, you go with BPS and find out you still like the sonic presentation with a particular combination of DC power distributor outputs.

It really is much too early tell though being audiophiles I'm sure speculation will run rampant. The proof will be in the listening.

Steve Z

Or, you go with BPS and find out you still like the sonic presentation with a particular combination of DC power distributor outputs.

It really is much too early tell though being audiophiles I'm sure speculation will run rampant. The proof will be in the listening.

Steve Z
You have to admit that listening to alt2 on Router and default on switch makes for a powerful argument for DCD. I was interested to read that if one prefers alt2 they will likely prefer Roon. For me it was just the opposite. Roon was indeed terrific but the sonic signature from XDMS is the one which floats my boat

Just a brief note about last night's music session, Taiko DC power distributor filters still burning in with load plugs, router and Taiko switch powered from the DCD unfiltered outputs, about 24 hours of 24/7 burn-in so far.

The only experiment I tried was briefly switching back to XDMS to compare with what I've been hearing from Roon. Despite reading Steve W and others' comments I was still somewhat surprised to hear that Roon right now does indeed sound superior to XDMS. Where before I thought Roon was a little flatter, greyer and fuzzier than XDMS, I found their attributes to be reversed -- Roon sounding much more interesting and absorbing to listen to.

Going back to Roon, there is nothing in my description from yesterday that I'd care to retract. I'm hearing nuance and detail and expansive energy that I up unitl now hadn't heard at this level from either of the two players. My wife and I had a nice long evening enjoying music, which helped somewhat with our disappointment over the Braves being eliminated from the playoffs by the stinkin' Phillies.

IMG_2546.PNG

Steve Z

Last edited:

Steve Z
Valid point Steve...Proof will be in the pudding as things unfold...Sorry about your Braves, I was pulling for them just for you and your wife...

Reactions: oldmustang
¡Esperamos sus impresiones sobre los filtros DCD!
Hi Emile.
Are orders from May 1 still being sent, or are orders already being sent after that date?

Just a brief note about last night's music session, Taiko router filters still burning in with load plugs, router and Taiko switch powered from the DCD unfiltered outputs, about 24 hours of 24/7 burn-in so far.

The only experiment I tried was briefly switching back to XDMS to compare with what I've been hearing from Roon. Despite reading Steve W and others' comments I was still somewhat surprised to hear that Roon right now does indeed sound superior to XDMS. Where before I thought Roon was a little flatter, greyer and fuzzier than XDMS, I found their attributes to be reversed -- Roon sounding much more interesting and absorbing to listen to.

Going back to Roon, there is nothing in my description from yesterday that I'd care to retract. I'm hearing nuance and detail and expansive energy that I up unitl now hadn't heard at this level from either of the two players. My wife and I had a nice long evening enjoying music, which helped somewhat with our disappointment over the Braves being eliminated from the playoffs by the stinkin' Phillies.

View attachment 118136

Steve Z
I will be interested in what you come up with after everything is settled in. I thought that the Switch/NIC propelled Roon into new sonic territory, for the better...Then there are times when I think XDMS sounds divine and I say to self "you don't know what the F--K your doing" Bottom line the Extreme provides some great listening sessions...

Reactions: ctydwn
Just a brief note about last night's music session, Taiko router filters still burning in with load plugs, router and Taiko switch powered from the DCD unfiltered outputs, about 24 hours of 24/7 burn-in so far.

View attachment 118136

Steve Z
Steve
as stated Roon continues to sound excellent however it’s the sonic signature of.XDMS that I prefer. and truly love what I hear now after almost 4 days of burn in on alt2. I find that I am so much more drawn to the music with XDMS even though Roon sounds the best I’ve ever heard

Reactions: cmarin and Armsan
Steve
as stated Roon continues to sound excellent however it’s the sonic signature of.XDMS that I prefer. and truly love what I hear now after almost 4 days of burn in on alt2. I find that I am so much more drawn to the music with XDMS even though Roon sounds the best I’ve ever heard
That's a very good way to phrase it "Sonic Signature Of XDMS" It has a stillness to it that is hard to put into words...

Reactions: Armsan

Steve Z
I hear you Steve !
BPS infulence should be a magnitude / summary of all devices connected.
Imagine the much better power quality to :
1 processor
2 RAM memory chips
3 motherboard
4 Optane disc
5 Local memory
6 USB card ( hope fpr a separate rail)
7 network card ( hope for a separate rail)
8 Taiko switch ( separate rail with DCD)
9 Taiko router. ( As above on the same rail)
10 north bridge on motherboard

We have minimum of 10 elements that should benefit from the BPS.
That must be giganic difference in overall SQ presentation.

I am just hoping Emile will find a way to isolate some of those elements from eachother with DC distributor filters . This is based on DCD experience that is very good in everyones opinion.
That filteting could be done for each rail getting out of BPS.
To make it smaller that could be limited to 1 defult filter for each rail.
Am I to crazy to hope for that to happen ?

Steve Z

If you go with our BPS the DC distributor has no effect as there’s no noise to filter.

If you however hookup a “regular” battery supply the DC distributor will work to filter the noise generated by the battery supply BMS (Battery Management System). These are indeed “noisy” which is why we had to design one ourselves.

A BMS monitors all the individual battery cells, it balances them so all cells have an equal charge, and it protects the battery from being drained too far or from overcharging, both of which can damage the cells, and depending on the type of cells use, even cause them to leak or catch fire. It’s therefor a mandatory addition to lithium battery cells, which you’ll use as the other types of batteries are pretty useless for audio, high impedance, noisy etc.

However you can still use the DC distributor to improve your sound by using it for your ISP modem or Router which gives you a similar effect as on our Switch/Router, or you return it as a trade in towards a BPS which we’ll accommodate ofcourse.

If you go with our BPS the DC distributor has no effect as there’s no noise to filter.
Duh! (sound of hand slapping forehead).

Good point about other non-Taiko battery power supplies, though.

Steve Z

Hi Emile.
Are orders from May 1 still being sent, or are orders already being sent after that date?

I think they’re at May the 2nd or 3rd. But I’ll let you in on a little secret, being nowadays I’m not personally involved with anything having to do with assembly, order processing or anything involving general company operations. We have a general manager taking care of that and a support team answering customer questions on those matters. If you need information on your order status the way to get that is by contacting support@taikoaudio.com. So I’m actually not completely in the loop on this which in turn allows me to focus on getting our new developments finished and post here :)

Steve Z

There’s nothing “magical” about these different filters beyond having slightly different filtering points and slopes. The outcome of your preferred filter can be a combination of strength of particular offending frequency ranges, how those affect your gear, or perhaps even you. The filters are designed to specifically target typical frequency ranges transmitted by network appliances but also their interaction with AC-DC powersupplies combined with noise generated by those themselves.

Did not expect it but my story looks very simmilar In regards to the DC distributor exits.
After burning all the exits I tried different combinations and ended with
alt2 to router
default to switch
There is something very special with alt2 . Very „magical” exit.
The only price to pay is the bass being not as controlled as on others.

I agree on the bass but “alt2” will firm up with burn-in. Though it will never be as “tight” as “alt1”.

Do note that the bass does not actually change, it’s the high frequency patterns which influence your perception of bass, if I’m allowed to post something controversial :)

Steve Z
I thought you meant one might prefer the Power Distributer in the mix over the BPS...

I agree on the bass but “alt2” will firm up with burn-in. Though it will never be as “tight” as “alt1”.

Do note that the bass does not actually change, it’s the high frequency patterns which influence your perception of bass, if I’m allowed to post something controversial :)
Im on day 4-5 with burn in. I am only listening to XDMS and my bass sounds very bit as good or better than what I have heard before. The only X factor in my system is the use of the Valvo G2504 as rectifier for my Horizon. What it did to the bass is somewhat of a gob smack when compared to the bass I was getting with the RGN 20004

Not sure if the question ws ever answered but some asked if the burn in on the Router and DCD needed music playing through it or is just having them power on sufficient for burn.In my experience playing music is the great facilitator however I also feel just having them powered on also helps with burn in as my sound each morning is a little less veiled that what it was the night before

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing