Taiko Audio XDMS - Extreme Direct Music Server Software

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I looked at the list of things the latest backends updates, .5 and .6, address and they are apparently all UI type fixes.

Why would we be expecting sound quality changes?

.5 and .6 are not back-end updates. They address the app. However, there was a back-end update uploaded yesterday. It addressed some bugs but should not affect sound quality.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
.5 and .6 are not back-end updates. They address the app. However, there was a back-end update uploaded yesterday. It addressed some bugs but should not affect sound quality.
So, the recent 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 are different from yesterday’s backend update? How does one get this backend update?

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They can be downloaded on Discord.

Reactions: wil and oldmustang

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
So, the recent 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 are different from yesterday’s backend update? How do get this backend update?
Don’t forget to run the db_cache_change.exe file.

Reactions: oldmustang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No

Reactions: theaudiogeek

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
:eek::eek::eek: Ed installed NSM this morning and I’m gobsmacked, it’s everything you guys said it was. If I had to use one word it would be immersive.

Thank you Ed, Emile and the Taiko team.

ticktock

Oct 3, 2020
NSM is really a remarkable step forward. There is so much more musical information coming through that it took my brain a few days to adapt to the new normal. In my experience, NSM is the most emphatic nail yet in the coffin for the notion that software alone cannot affect sound quality.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
NSM is really a remarkable step forward. There is so much more musical information coming through that it took my brain a few days to adapt to the new normal. In my experience, NSM is the most emphatic nail yet in the coffin for the notion that software alone cannot affect sound quality.
Emile did promise many months ago that the 2 biggest sonic upticks in the Taiko developmental path would be NSM and ultimately the BPS. The unknown for me remains XDMI as I feel this will be revelational and a new paradigm in the audio world. Can't wait for the Olympus and I/O to arrive to complete that part of the puzzle. Curiosity will have me trying the analogue board first and hope that I don't choke upon hearing this internal DAC as I remain committed to my Horizon and Lukasz developing an XDMI inoput at his end that will allow we Lampi users to hear XDMI 'native'

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...Ed installed NSM on my system this afternoon, and I have just finished a couple of hours of listening. There is a lot to like, but my initial take is the soundstage is silly deep! A very, very nice "depth" of sound. Detail. Tone. Still great punch. Layered presentation. Silly deep soundstage. I could listen all night, but the dog will pee her pants if I don't get outta the chair and walk her. Thanks @EuroDriver and crew!

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
I use 2 different items to play XDMS - 1 is my iPad which has the test flight to easily perform updates and 2 is my old Dell Windows I7 laptop which usually requires Ed's magic to perform those updates since I am not that great on programming computers.
On the last update, I couldn't access Qobuz on my laptop.
Ed came on today and performed another miracle and found that whenever we turned off Kaspersky firewall, Windows 11 would automatically (sneaky bastids) would turn on Defender firewall. It was preventing access to Qobuz.
So, I had the 2.3.9+1 update on it and suddenly I noticed a definite, not HUGE like NSM, but significant for me to notice an increase in SQ. Everything was cleaner, clearer, more precise. It is impossible to think that it could get any better than NSM update, but for me, it did!
I cannot thank Ed and the Taiko Team (TT) for hitting a walk off, bases loaded, home Run in the World Series of music!!
You guys are the greatest!!
And nope, I haven't taken any unusual drugs since yesterday's adverse reaction :D :D :D to some new Rx meds.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I use 2 different items to play XDMS - 1 is my iPad which has the test flight to easily perform updates and 2 is my old Dell Windows I7 laptop which usually requires Ed's magic to perform those updates since I am not that great on programming computers.
On the last update, I couldn't access Qobuz on my laptop.
Ed came on today and performed another miracle and found that whenever we turned off Kaspersky firewall, Windows 11 would automatically (sneaky bastids) would turn on Defender firewall. It was preventing access to Qobuz.
So, I had the 2.3.9+1 update on it and suddenly I noticed a definite, not HUGE like NSM, but significant for me to notice an increase in SQ. Everything was cleaner, clearer, more precise. It is impossible to think that it could get any better than NSM update, but for me, it did!
I cannot thank Ed and the Taiko Team (TT) for hitting a walk off, bases loaded, home Run in the World Series of music!!
You guys are the greatest!!
And nope, I haven't taken any unusual drugs since yesterday's adverse reaction :D :D :D to some new Rx meds.
Looking at the 2.3.9+1 update notes on Dischord, I see two items:

— Fix for adaptive format values
— macOS rejected message issue resolved

How do these result in a sq improvement?

and, are we talking about updates done through Test Flight on the remote or is this a “backend update” (which I still haven’t gone to the trouble to figure out how to accomplish!)

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017

and, are we talking about updates done through Test Flight on the remote or is this a “backend update” (which I still haven’t gone to the trouble to figure out how to accomplish!)
It could have been from 2.3.8 or 2.3.7 since I think I was on 2.3.6 before I did any recent updates.
I have no idea, but my ears noticed it immediately.
This update was on my Dell Windows laptop which Ed performed.
Yesterday, he addressed the Windows 11 issue that I had since last week at 2.3.6 of not being able to access Qobuz streaming from the laptop.
I had not touched the laptop since early or mid of last week since a bug with Win 11 that left me not being able to use Qobuz on the laptop.
It turned out to be a firewall issue and not a bug.
I was always able to access Qobuz via my iPad and did the update to 2.3.8 thru test flight yesterday.
Maybe it was something to do with the firewall hindering the sq from the start???
Both Kaspersky and Defender firewalls were preventing me access to Qobuz.
Again, I can't say why I have the improvement, but to me, it was quite noticeable and I mentioned it to Ed immediately when I was halfway thru the first song after the firewall Windows 11 issue was resolved.
Ed worked his magic again!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
It could have been from 2.3.8 or 2.3.7 since I think I was on 2.3.6 before I did any recent updates.
I have no idea, but my ears noticed it immediately.
This update was on my Dell Windows laptop which Ed performed.
Yesterday, he addressed the Windows 11 issue that I had since last week at 2.3.6 of not being able to access Qobuz streaming from the laptop.
I had not touched the laptop since early or mid of last week since a bug with Win 11 that left me not being able to use Qobuz on the laptop.
It turned out to be a firewall issue and not a bug.
I was always able to access Qobuz via my iPad and did the update to 2.3.8 thru test flight yesterday.
Maybe it was something to do with the firewall hindering the sq from the start???
Both Kaspersky and Defender firewalls were preventing me access to Qobuz.
Again, I can't say why I have the improvement, but to me, it was quite noticeable and I mentioned it to Ed immediately when I was halfway thru the first song after the firewall Windows 11 issue was resolved.
Ed worked his magic again!
There is a new XDMS-NSM backend build dated January 11 thats available on the XDMS Apha Testers Discord server. Famester has this build which elevates streaming (Qobuz only at the present time) to a new level. I have to say even listening on my battery powered laptop to a RME USB headpohone DAC I am Gobsmacked by the Sound Quality. Quite magical :)

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
There is a new XDMS-NSM backend build dated January 11 thats available on the XDMS Apha Testers Discord server. Famester has this build which elevates streaming (Qobuz only at the present time) to a new level. I have to say even listening on my battery powered laptop to a RME USB headpohone DAC I am Gobsmacked by the Sound Quality. Quite magical :)
That is correct.
I forgot that there was an backend update to XDMS-NSM for Qobuz.
Ed must have included that in the update.
Sweet!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Steve Williams

There is a backend update also for download. FWIW, I thought there was a slight uptick in SQ wrt SQ as well as clarity and better definition in the deep bass. Having said that IMO the uptick although there is not on a par with previous back end updates

Reactions: cat6man

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
First post from this computer illiterate person. Had a big mess : can't play Qobuz, no toggle to switch to Roon, can't play DSD, updated to 2.3.10 and can't play anything. Ed asked : what build have you got? Dunno. Show your IP address? Where to find it? Do you have ip scanner like Fing? Nope. Take a photo of your Extreme back panel? That I know.

Ed had all the patience for me and spent two hours on a Saturday to sort out everything. Probably with the new build, NSM has never sounded so good : dynamics, speration, huge soundstage all were there, and much improved than before.

Thanks so much Ed!

At least we listen alike! I also have the CJ ART88 and ART108As!

Cheers and so happy to be in the Taiko group!

Steve Williams

Has everyone who updated to NSM switched their sound profile from default to "alternative"

The uptick in SQ in my system was greater going to "alternative" than was the Jan 10 back end update for Qobuz. Has anyone else found the same?

Using alternative in my system was quite a revelation

Reactions: seatrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing