Tesla Model Y performance

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have never owned or even considered an EV. I am searching for a replacement for my lease which ends in a few months and all the European Cars I have owned previously have gone up in price by a lot.
I see a lot of Tesla's in my area and was looking for some practical knowledge based on owners experience with this vehicle.
If you own one I would like to here what you experience has been as far as service, charging availability, reliability and of course driving one.
Thanks

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Be aware. There are next to no buttons. I find them dangerous to drive as in adjusting a mirror is removing your eyes from the road to look at a computer screen and peruse through settings.
They are also pretty low to the ground. I like an SUV. Yes I have a Porsche Cayman S as well as my Mercedes ML550. I drive the Mercedes 97% of the time.

I like the Rivians better. Buttons and up higher.

Technically your best option is a hybrid. 40 mpg and unlimited range.

• Haha
Reactions: adyc and djsina2

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Be aware. There are next to no buttons. I find them dangerous to drive as in adjusting a mirror is removing your eyes from the road to look at a computer screen and peruse through settings.
They are also pretty low to the ground. I like an SUV. Yes I have a Porsche Cayman S as well as my Mercedes ML550. I drive the Mercedes 97% of the time.

I like the Rivians better. Buttons and up higher.

Technically your best option is a hybrid. 40 mpg and unlimited range.
thanks but you didn't answer my question. I am considering this since they are really affordable even for a 24 month lease. Rivians aren't and most other EV's are stupidly priced. I have a Macan S and it went up over 20k in 3 years and Porsche is putting money on the street at 8.9 percent. Which is totally stupid. The only EV I would consider is Tesla as they actually sell them and have loads on the street.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I did answer your question. I went to Budget and rented them twice. I did not like them. They are far to reliant on a computer screen that draws your attention from on the road. They seem dangerous to me. Go rent one and drive it around a while. Spend a day on a road trip. I used them for about 8 days of driving total and said not for me.

You will also hear people say they love it. You should drive it yourself. If Budget still has it. It was such a failure as a rental the CEO of Budget was removed over the debacle.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Elliot

Ive driven Mercedes and Porsche my entire adult life but with the price of gas here in SoCal we sold our ICE and bought a Model S and a Model 3 Performance and we have had them now for about 10 months and will never go back to ICE especially since my house is 100% solar. We have not had an electric bill in almost 5 years even with both EV's over the past year. As for the comments by kingrex I ca tell you that it took me 4-6 weeks until I fly comfortable driving the car. The concerns for looking at a screen I certainly understand however after the learning process it becomes second nature . The lease rates for used Teslas are good. As for service, there really is nothing to service except replacing windshield wiper fluid. The only time I have been to a Tesla service center was for some minor warranty work. Everything is done on the Tesla app and if I have one negative comment, it would be that you never ever speak to a live person. It is virtually impossible unless you are at the service center but TBH we have only had some minor warranty repairs . If you like the sound of your Porsche as you rev the engine, you hear nothing but silence yet from a standing start the Tesla will leave your Porsche in the rear view mirror. They are ridiculously fast. We have partial auto pilot on the S and it is a fun experience but I will not have full auto pilot until it has been completely perfected. What I do have now is the ability for the car to drive hands free and slow when there are cars in front of you. Full autopilot, will change lanes, stop at stop signs and street signal lights etc but I just don't have the cajones to buy into that at the moment. Updates happen several times per month and they they are always making the computer better. As for computers this is truly the most sophisticated computer and app I have ever seen. It is truly a computer trying to be a car but at the end if the day, the money you will save in electricity vs gasoline is substantial. The app will show you how much you have spent in electricity and what comparable would have cost you in gas . In the 10 months we have had the cars we have saved well over $3000. It is a totally different beast to drive and there is a learning curve before you feel comfortable doing things without looking away from the road at the computer. Like Rex I had my insecurities but as stated after 4-6 weeks everything becomes second nature. I will charge both cars at home 99% of the time and do it between midnight and 0600 weekdays and between midnight and 200 PM weekends as the rate is all of $0.16/kwh which I easily cover during the day with my solar panels. Yesterday we were coming home from Los Angeles and I had 18% charge, The computer directed me immediately to th closest charge station, told me how many stalls were there and how many were available. I charged to 80% and at end of the charge I had 310 miles showing. I checked the cost on the app and it showed my cost as $30.03. I am certain your Porsche would have cost double that to fill here in California. Love them or hate them, they are not only here to stay but every major car company has multiple EV models . Tesla however is so far ahead of the pack that I personally did not have any desire to look beyond Tesla and have no regrets.

Reactions: adyc

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
And the best thing driving my EV to me is one foot driving. I hardly use brake except in need of hard braking. Regenerative braking will take care of braking in most cases. I will also never go back to ICE.

Reactions: christoph

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry not a Model Y owner but have been a Model 3 Performance owner for 4 years now. Range has reduced around 10% over the 4yr period which is acceptable. My thoughts on Tesla -

Pros
- most reliable charging infrastructure IMHO
- are producing at large scale now and therefore sharp on price
- their app works well
- regular over the air updates which you can do from home via Wi-Fi (although not all of them are positive updates)
- sentry and dog modes (for security and cooling car when shopping - BMW for example don’t have sentry mode, and their cooling mode when away from the car has limitations)
- Netflix on the big screen while waiting to charge your car!
- Model Y does make good use of interior space relative to some others

Cons
- build quality is not as good as European cars (however it is improving).
- not having a head up or speed display in front of the driver is unacceptable, but we have learned to live with it
- ride quality not as good as some others
- rain wiper sensors aren’t always reliable and if you need to go into the menu to activate them, it’s not great (this seems to be a random issue for some reason - many talk about it but not all experience it)
- ghost braking (occasionally the car will brake without warning due to its safety sensors). Longer-term Tesla owners tend to know about this but I’m not sure if this has been fixed in the Model Y’s and newer Model 3’s as it is a software issue.
- you can no longer adjust the regen braking which is a shame (my model you can and it is nice to have the option)

There’s no doubt Tesla are ahead of the pack, but many others are starting to catch them and there are now way more options on the market which will hopefully keep Tesla on their toes and continue to evolve. We recently drove the BMW i4 and iX1 as we are looking at a replacement EV. The Tesla is still an option for us as we understand it and can rely on its charging network but there are some compromises. When comparing the Tesla v BMW, in short it’s a tech company making an EV v a car company making an EV.

Tesla is a very solid EV choice IMHO at a reasonable price point, but it does have its flaws and takes some time to adjust to the centre screen. I hope this helps.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

The ghost braking as you call it is an alert built in that if you drift into the next lane the wheels will briefly brake to remind you where you are

as far as other makers catching up , name one. :rolleyes:There is no other EV that does what Tesla does IMHO

like you I have need to use the brakes due to regenerative braking. My son has had his 3 for over 5 years and has never had need to change the brakes

djsina2

May 30, 2019

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
The ghost braking as you call it is an alert built in that if you drift into the next lane the wheels will briefly brake to remind you where you are

as far as other makers catching up , name one. :rolleyes:There is no other EV that does what Tesla does IMHO

like you I have need to use the brakes due to regenerative braking. My son has had his 3 for over 5 years and has never had need to change the brakes
The phantom braking is a separate issue to what you are referring to - here is a link on the Tesla site for those that want to read more https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/major-phantom-braking-issues.287676/

As I said, there are plenty more EV options for buyers now - Tesla do have the advantage for sure, but not in all areas. I love my Tesla but am happy to concede its flaws, which there are a few. This is just my opinion based on experience having owned a Tesla for 4yrs and now driven recently alternatives.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
thanks but you didn't answer my question. I am considering this since they are really affordable even for a 24 month lease. Rivians aren't and most other EV's are stupidly priced. I have a Macan S and it went up over 20k in 3 years and Porsche is putting money on the street at 8.9 percent. Which is totally stupid. The only EV I would consider is Tesla as they actually sell them and have loads on the street.
Elliot, You’re presently driving the best midsize sport crossover on earth! I’ve owned both a Macan GTS and base Macan 4 banger. The Macan chassis is simply without peer.

i would never own a Tesla. Elon’s propensity to reduce retail pricing in order to maintain market share- which is highly unusual in the auto business- makes resale value a total moving target. As does Chinese competition and EV technologie’s rapid evolution which makes future value calculations a dart board exercise.

Play with an EV on a short lease if you want. However, if you’re a car guy and I know you are don’t buy an attractive lease deal- on any type of car- and get a vehicle in return- you’re putting the cart before the horse.

Reactions: Bruce B

Steve Williams

C
The phantom braking is a separate issue to what you are referring to - here is a link on the Tesla site for those that want to read more https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/major-phantom-braking-issues.287676/

As I said, there are plenty more EV options for buyers now - Tesla do have the advantage for sure, but not in all areas. I love my Tesla but am happy to concede its flaws, which there are a few. This is just my opinion based on experience having owned a Tesla for 4yrs and now driven recently alternatives.
id still like you to name one. You kept saying there are several Which makes and in what areas are they better. I’ve owned Porsche and Mercedes my entire life and loved them. However at gas prices in California of $6 per gallon we have never looked back. Finally I never lease. I only buy. I rarely sell my cars so if you can beat no car payments and no electricity payments I say go for it. For my wife and I, we couldn’t be happier. I still want to know which make and model is ahead of Tesla. Finally I’m not into racing but try putting your Porsche up against a Tesla from a standing start You’re going to lose. A neighbor here just took delivery of the Cyber truck trimotor The
Beast . It does 0-60 in 2.6 secs and probably weighs 3x what the Porsche weighs. I agree it is a learning experience but for us in SoCal we will never go back to ICE

Steve Williams

You must have a really big garage, Steve
well we do . My point is I have driven a sports car for most of my life and have appreciated everything that you claim as I too have experienced it. However the world is a different pace now when it comes to the sale of gas and electricity. Also I live in a private gated community that is serviced by the most expensive electrical utility company in the country where a kwh sells at some times for a much as $0.65. We also live in a community where a safe estimate would say it is full of Tesla users . In fact on my street of 9 homes there are 5 Teslas and at least 60% of the homes have solar panels on their roof tops. For my wife and I th money we have saved along with the enjoyment of driving the cars made it all worth it for us, along with a $7500 tax credit was the icing on the cake. We don't make a habit of buying and selling as my wife's car was 13 years old and mine was a 16 yo SL55AMG which was a rocket until I got into my S. It brings a smile to my face when the app shows me what we have saved in gas this year plus we have not had an electric bill in over 5 years. At this point in my life these are all positives

Reactions: slowGEEZR

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
well we do . My point is I have driven a sports car for most of my life and have appreciated everything that you claim as I too have experienced it. However the world is a different pace now when it comes to the sale of gas and electricity. Also I live in a private gated community that is serviced by the most expensive electrical utility company in the country where a kwh sells at some times for a much as $0.65. We also live in a community where a safe estimate would say it is full of Tesla users . In fact on my street of 9 homes there are 5 Teslas and at least 60% of the homes have solar panels on their roof tops. For my wife and I th money we have saved along with the enjoyment of driving the cars made it all worth it for us, along with a $7500 tax credit was the icing on the cake. We don't make a habit of buying and selling as my wife's car was 13 years old and mine was a 16 yo SL55AMG which was a rocket until I got into my S. It brings a smile to my face when the app shows me what we have saved in gas this year plus we have not had an electric bill in over 5 years. At this point in my life these are all positives.
I totally understand all the good reasons you’re a Tesla owner. I also totally appreciate long term car ownership, even though I’m generally not particularly good at. Just last week my son traded in a 2006 Nissan Titan pickup, which I bought new in late 2005. The memories associated with that almost 20 year old truck are like a beautiful travelogue. To think it’s gone is very sad, like loosing a family member.

The only questionable aspect of owning a 16 year old AMG SL would be the maintenance costs. I hope they weren’t too oppressive.

Steve Williams

I totally understand all the good reasons you’re a Tesla owner. I also totally appreciate long term car ownership, even though I’m generally not particularly good at. Just last week my son traded in a 2006 Nissan Titan pickup, which I bought new in late 2005. The memories associated with that almost 20 year old truck are like a beautiful travelogue. To think it’s gone is very sad, like loosing a family member.

The only questionable aspect of owning a 16 year old AMG SL would be the maintenance costs. I hope they weren’t too oppressive.
It’s the maintenance on both cars that made our minds up. We have had both cars for a year and have only had it in for warranty fix but other than that all we have done is change the wiper fluid in the 3

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, You’re presently driving the best midsize sport crossover on earth! I’ve owned both a Macan GTS and base Macan 4 banger. The Macan chassis is simply without peer.

i would never own a Tesla. Elon’s propensity to reduce retail pricing in order to maintain market share- which is highly unusual in the auto business- makes resale value a total moving target. As does Chinese competition and EV technologie’s rapid evolution which makes future value calculations a dart board exercise.

Play with an EV on a short lease if you want. However, if you’re a car guy and I know you are don’t buy an attractive lease deal- on any type of car- and get a vehicle in return- you’re putting the cart before the horse.
I love my Macan S, truly and I have a lot of miles on it without issue, however the new ones are so expensive and at my age I just don't' want to spend that much on a daily driver. I thought about the Tesla as it is an attractive lease however i think I want to buy this car and keep it and that with an EV is to me an uncertain future. I'm still looking at options like the BMW and VW and need to drive both and see which I prefer. I do thatnk you for your comments.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
I love my Macan S, truly and I have a lot of miles on it without issue, however the new ones are so expensive and at my age I just don't' want to spend that much on a daily driver. I thought about the Tesla as it is an attractive lease however i think I want to buy this car and keep it and that with an EV is to me an uncertain future. I'm still looking at options like the BMW and VW and need to drive both and see which I prefer. I do thatnk you for your comments.
Have you considered a CPOd Macan? The one thing about current Macans that I find unacceptable is that they don’t come standard with Blind Spot Monitoring. At $70K+ it certainly should be standard equipment. I would not buy a vehicle without it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing