The All Analog, All Lamm, PBN M2!5 System of JeffreyT

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
During a very quick visit back to Jeff's today, I feel like whatever bit of sibilance I heard previously from Jeff's vdH Colibri Koa Stradivarius cartridge has been ameliorated by natural break-in or VTA adjustment or both. Only the very hot vocal on Thelma Houston's "I've Got the Music in Me" (Sheffield Lab) revealed the slight sibilance "issue" I have had personally with vdH Colibri cartridges.

In fact, when Jeff played for me the Bill Henderson "Send in the Clowns" I actually asked Jeff if we were listening to the vdH, so absent was the tell-tale sibilance I still was expecting to hear generally.

I think I want Jeff's exact model of vdH cartridge, instead of the Opus 1, after all! Or the higher output vdH Gran Cru at .5mV model -- to take a little pressure off of the Aesthetix Io.
The Thelma album is super hot, and it’s hot with my SPU’s and vintage MM carts. I don’t hear any sibilance with the VDH, it’s a fantastic cartridge in every aspect.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It's been a long time since I've updated my system. There has been a lot of changes that I'll start sharing over the next few days:

1. New racks (Atacama Evoque Eco 60-40)
2. New turntable (Garrard 401 with PBN custom plinth)
3. New tonearms (additional SME 3012R and Groovemaster II)
4. Additional amp to complement my Lamm amps (First Watt SIT-3)

COVID 19 has cost me a lot of money!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's obviously left you incapable, Jeffrey.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
7F886D77-3579-4635-A405-B6DAAB5BB7D0.jpeg
Two weeks ago I purchased one of the last First Watt SIT-3’s and I have to say I’m quite impressed with the sound. With 30 watts into my 4 ohm speakers, there is plenty of drive, top end and bass coming out of my system. The SIT-3 does something quite special in the midrange, with some of the best texture I’ve had from my system ever. If you have the right speakers, this $4,000 amp is absolutely fantastic.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a fun afternoon at Jeff's a couple of weeks ago, when KeithR and I visited to hear the Pass SIT-3.

My thoughts are highly conditional because I spend very little time listening to systems with solid-state amplifiers. I know I like the Gryphon Mephisto, and I probably personally would prefer the Gryphon Antileon Evo over the Mephisto.

My only recent experience with solid-state amplifiers has been at KeithR's as he has auditioned different transistor amplifiers on his YG Hailey 2s. Oh, I also heard solid-state McIntosh amplifiers on our mutual friend's Wilson XVX system.

But there's no getting around the fact that I do not have in my head the data points of experience with solid-state amplifiers in familiar systems that I have with tube amplifiers. Tube amplifiers are my thing. Solid-state amplifiers are not. But I try to go in open-eared. With all of those caveats in mind . . .

1) I think the SIT-3 may be the best sounding solid-state amplifier I've ever heard (as Jeff correctly says, provided you match it with a perfectly sympathetic speaker) with no direct comparison to any other solid-state amplifier.

2) I think the higher damping factor of the solid-state output stage controls Jeff's big 15" woofers better than his Lamms. I agree with Jeff that the low frequency reproduction is the best I have heard in Jeff's system.

3) What Keith described from the Pass as an SET-ish sound, I think I perceive as a familiar and attractive slight midrange emphasis. I find solid-state amps in general to sound neutral and flat, whereas I like the slight midrange-y emphasis of many tube amps.

4) I hear the Pass as having a flatter top end then the Lamms. In general, I prefer the slightly rolled off top end of tubes.

5) I feel the Pass is a touch dryer sounding than Jeff's Lamms. The slightly more liquid sounding way tube amps reproduce vocals is the main reason I love tube electronics.

6) I feel the Pass is a touch flatter sounding dimensionally than the Lamms. I think I hear slightly greater depth or spaciousness ("layering"?) with the Lamms.

7) Overall, sonically that Pass amplifier must be the biggest bargain for a solid-state amplifier in high-end audio. With some systems which are driven by high power, very neutral solid-state amplifiers (e.g., Soulution, Boulder) I feel like I walked into the wrong room. It just is not a sound I cotton to or want to acclimate to. This Pass did not sound alien to me the way solid-state amps often sound to me. No acclimation was needed. There was no brightness, no edginess, no fatigue after three hours.

8) I completely understand Jeff wanting to remove all issues of amp reliability and seriously considering staying permanently with the SIT-3 amplifier.

9) It was interesting to run right over to JimFord's and play all of the same tracks on his system that I played at Jeff's. I felt that at Jeff's on "Great Gate of Kiev" the Pass ran out of steam, and I feel that my replay of the same track at Jim's confirmed it. Jim's 200 watt push-pull triode Canary amps drove the Tannoys to greater and greater heights and volume with no change in sonic character whatsoever.

10) It is a very delicate and totally subjective set of compromises, but I, personally, would want to try to re-capture the slightly greater liquidity and depth of tubes by using a 100 or 150 watt VTL stereo or mono amp with EL-34, KT-88 or 6550C tubes, with adjustable damping factor, triode/tetrode switching and local factory support. Personally, I still like tubes on the PBN M2!5 Jeffrey T Special Edition's fantastic JBL waveguide driver.

Thank you, Jeff, for a very fun and educational afternoon!

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had a fun afternoon at Jeff's a couple of weeks ago, when KeithR and I visited to hear the Pass SIT-3.

My thoughts are highly conditional because I spend very little time listening to systems with solid-state amplifiers. I know I like the Gryphon Mephisto, and I probably personally would prefer the Gryphon Antileon Evo over the Mephisto.

My only recent experience with solid-state amplifiers has been at KeithR's as he has auditioned different transistor amplifiers on his YG Hailey 2s. Oh, I also heard solid-state McIntosh amplifiers on our mutual friend's Wilson XVX system.

But there's no getting around the fact that I do not have in my head the data points of experience with solid-state amplifiers in familiar systems that I have with tube amplifiers. Tube amplifiers are my thing. Solid-state amplifiers are not. But I try to go in open-eared. With all of those caveats in mind . . .

1) I think the SIT-3 may be the best sounding solid-state amplifier I've ever heard (as Jeff correctly says, provided you match it with a perfectly sympathetic speaker) with no direct comparison to any other solid-state amplifier.

2) I think the higher damping factor of the solid-state output stage controls Jeff's big 15" woofers better than his Lamms. I agree with Jeff that the low frequency reproduction is the best I have heard in Jeff's system.

3) What Keith described from the Pass as an SET-ish sound, I think I perceive as a familiar and attractive slight midrange emphasis. I find solid-state amps in general to sound neutral and flat, whereas I like the slight midrange-y emphasis of many tube amps.

4) I hear the Pass as having a flatter top end then the Lamms. In general, I prefer the slightly rolled off top end of tubes.

5) I feel the Pass is a touch dryer sounding than Jeff's Lamms. The slightly more liquid sounding way tube amps reproduce vocals is the main reason I love tube electronics.

6) I feel the Pass is a touch flatter sounding dimensionally than the Lamms. I think I hear slightly greater depth or spaciousness ("layering"?) with the Lamms.

7) Overall, sonically that Pass amplifier must be the biggest bargain for a solid-state amplifier in high-end audio. With some systems which are driven by high power, very neutral solid-state amplifiers (e.g., Soulution, Boulder) I feel like I walked into the wrong room. It just is not a sound I cotton to or want to acclimate to. This Pass did not sound alien to me the way solid-state amps often sound to me. No acclimation was needed. There was no brightness, no edginess, no fatigue after three hours.

8) I completely understand Jeff wanting to remove all issues of amp reliability and seriously considering staying permanently with the SIT-3 amplifier.

9) It was interesting to run right over to JimFord's and play all of the same tracks on his system that I played at Jeff's. I felt that at Jeff's on "Great Gate of Kiev" the Pass ran out of steam, and I feel that my replay of the same track at Jim's confirmed it. Jim's 200 watt push-pull triode Canary amps drove the Tannoys to greater and greater heights and volume with no change in sonic character whatsoever.

10) It is a very delicate and totally subjective set of compromises, but I, personally, would want to try to re-capture the slightly greater liquidity and depth of tubes by using a 100 or 150 watt VTL stereo or mono amp with EL-34, KT-88 or 6550C tubes, with adjustable damping factor, triode/tetrode switching and local factory support. Personally, I still like tubes on the PBN M2!5 Jeffrey T Special Edition's fantastic JBL waveguide driver.

Thank you, Jeff, for a very fun and educational afternoon!
Thx Ron for the detailed viewpoint.

I might add that a 30 watt transistor amp will not have the same dynamic headroom (perception wise) as a 30 watt SET. It has a lot to do with clipping effects and just instantaneous delivery capabilities (very good articles in Stereophile by Peter Van Willenswaard cover this topic). This could be why you perceived the limits on the Westminsters, whereas with a SET the onset of clipping might have gone unnoticed.

Reactions: tima

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I might add that a 30 watt transistor amp will not have the same dynamic headroom (perception wise) as a 30 watt SET. It has a lot to do with clipping effects and just instantaneous delivery capabilities (very good articles in Stereophile by Peter Van Willenswaard cover this topic). This could be why you perceived the limits on the Westminsters, whereas with a SET the onset of clipping might have gone unnoticed.

Possibly. But I am more comfortable placing my bet on the headroom afforded by 200 triode push-pull watts from Jim's Canary amps, for no clipping at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
View attachment 74398
Two weeks ago I purchased one of the last First Watt SIT-3’s and I have to say I’m quite impressed with the sound. With 30 watts into my 4 ohm speakers, there is plenty of drive, top end and bass coming out of my system. The SIT-3 does something quite special in the midrange, with some of the best texture I’ve had from my system ever. If you have the right speakers, this $4,000 amp is absolutely fantastic.
Beautiful setup Jeff ! The SIT3 is in good company.. Enjoy !

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know Zu designer Sean Casey loves the SIT on his spkrs. Interesting Jeffrey that you talk about the mids being a strong point of the SIT...for me, it's the mids that invariably fail moving away from triodes.

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Possibly. But I am more comfortable placing my bet on the headroom afforded by 200 triode push-pull watts from Jim's Canary amps, for no clipping at all.
True, the headroom would be substantial but I am not convinced of the SQ of big push pull tube amps. I prefer the purity of a simpler design.

Reactions: cjfrbw and ddk

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I know Zu designer Sean Casey loves the SIT on his spkrs. Interesting Jeffrey that you talk about the mids being a strong point of the SIT...for me, it's the mids that invariably fail moving away from triodes.
I’m breaking in a SIT3 amp... It is very similar to a SET sound, built from the midrange up.. The output devices are current gain, Transformers are used for the voltage gain, like tubes.. it has that SET characteristic presentation.. yet slightly different.. so far..

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Particularly SET.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’m breaking in a SIT3 amp... It is very similar to a SET sound, built from the midrange up.. The output devices are current gain, Transformers are used for the voltage gain, like tubes.. it has that SET characteristic presentation.. yet slightly different.. so far..
It will still have the harmonic distortion distribution of the transistors used and not a triode tube (or pentode) and this will be audible. It might be a very good sound but it is likely to remain...different.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
It will still have the harmonic distortion distribution of the transistors used and not a triode tube (or pentode) and this will be audible. It might be a very good sound but it is likely to remain...different.
The SIT’s will overload and distort just like tube triodes, with second order harmonics, actually they will distort less than tubes and have the same square wave as tubes. which is why they were developed.
Just like tubes, which were designed for audio from the start, The SIT transistor was designed just for audio. Generalizations to transistors do not apply to this design.. which was its intended goal.

Reactions: jeff1225

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The SIT’s will overload and distort just like tube triodes, with second order harmonics, actually they will distort less than tubes and have the same square wave as tubes. which is why they were developed.
Just like tubes, which were designed for audio from the start, The SIT transistor was designed just for audio. Generalizations to transistors do not apply to this design.. which was its intended goal.
I am sure they do not behave like triodes. There might be superficial similarities but that is all. I don’t generalize transistors. For example, bipolar and Mosfets have quite different transfer functions and will sound quite different but neither sounds like a triode... even when used single ended. The perceived dynamics for a given power are different too. Tubes tend to compress the signal before they go into hard clipping and can be used easily without feedback. Read the articles by Van Willenswaard in stereophile where he demonstrated this in practice.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Ron did not hear the SIT-3 on the Westies. He heard my system with the SET and then heard Jim’s with the 200 watt Canary’s.

I have not heard the SIT run out of headroom on my system and disagreed with Ron when he believed it was.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ron did not hear the SIT-3 on the Westies. He heard my system with the SET and then heard Jim’s with the 200 watt Canary’s.

I have not heard the SIT run out of headroom on my system and disagreed with Ron when he believed it was.
Ah ok, thx for clarifying Jeff. A SET of course can run out of headroom if people are playing loud and if the load of the speaker gets tough in a power region (like mid bass).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I am sure they do not behave like triodes. There might be superficial similarities but that is all. I don’t generalize transistors. For example, bipolar and Mosfets have quite different transfer functions and will sound quite different but neither sounds like a triode... even when used single ended. The perceived dynamics for a given power are different too. Tubes tend to compress the signal before they go into hard clipping and can be used easily without feedback. Read the articles by Van Willenswaard in stereophile where he demonstrated this in practice.
let me guess- you've never heard one

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing