The argument for/against room treatment

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Here's another product that also uses fractal patterns to accomplish broadband diffusion. I sat right up against the rear wall with a SD9F panel behind me @ Aaudio Imports when he was in Colorado and could not hear any reflected sound. It was very impressive.

https://www.goldenacoustics.com/productsLine.php

That panel goes down to 70Hz, but is quite a bit bigger than the ZR panels... Depth: 9in, Length: 94in, Width: 34in, Weight: 150lbs.

View attachment 80009
Looks like the inside of an alien craft, perhaps they‘ve been studying humans a long time and decided a guitar motif reminded them of their favorite snacks (humans)!

Reactions: cal3713 and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I don't know, it could double as a climbing wall ;)
If i fell asleep in a listening room with Wadax gear surrounded by those diffusers, i would definitely think i had been kidnapped by a Klingon Byrd Of Prey spaceship upon waking up ! :eek: LOL ! I wrote this before seeing Bobvins post ! :p

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Different patterns for different frequencies...

Here's their marketing spin:

"Fractals are objects, which have scalable, repeatable properties. So, the unique form, that our distribution panels are based on, is an organically derived, balanced fractal based on a triad of the golden section. The sizing of these Golden Section fractals are such that each size has a specific frequency range, proportioned using a Fibonacci sequence, so that they distribute full spectrum sound waves. The fractals are then positioned and rotated, in relationship to one another creating an array. This is done to utilize one of nature's most profound ratios to reflect the full audio spectrum in the most efficient manner possible. Our broadband, sonic distribution panels, depending on their method of installation, help to equalize the full audio spectrum, from 20 Hz to the upper limit of hearing, 20kHz.

All our products are able to be back-filled with sound absorbing material. This can be done with mineral wool, fiberglass or poly-foam. This allows for an inexpensive method to control reverberation times for any given space."
Thanks Cal ... I did read that ...I think the picture is worth a thousand fractal fibonacci golden rectangles :)
I'm not doubting they used those geometries as it is spooky how the maths throws them up in so many fields but the reflective pattern away from the median plane ( thats the horizontal listening zone in the room ) would be the key to this IMO
I have seen acoustic engineers set up the paremeters for this sort of device ( less complicated) in excel and run the program overnight to optimize it .. its very cool and it does what it says on the can

Phil

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Looks like the inside of an alien craft, perhaps they‘ve been studying humans a long time and decided a guitar motif reminded them of their favorite snacks (humans)!
My bet is on one too many viewings of "Heavy Metal" back in the day.

Reactions: Bobvin

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Sound control is even more important inside a spacecraft, of course!

That practicality is probably Giger's primary inspiration... https://www.hrgigermuseum.com/

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Panel thickness/depth is irrelevant to the ZR technology since the panels don't absorb, diffuse, or trap. You can see in the comparison/price list what the thickness of the various panels is:

In fact, DHDI claims that as long as the trade secret angles/patterns of non-parallel surfaces are maintained the Zero Reflection technology can be incorporated in something as thin as window curtains:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
they solve issues.
Peter, that is so helpful, thank you. I would have guessed you would have said something like "they make money for the manufacturer"

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
If they don't absorb, diffuse or trap, what DO they do?
They "deconstruct"the sound waves at the level of the air molecule (sound rides on air) before reflections can form by bouncing the air off of thousands of tiny non-parallel surfaces (of a specific angle and pattern) per sf of panel. Explanations, reviews, client lists, etc. appear repeatedly earlier in this thread and in my thread "Trying the ZR Acoustics Panels" where I document my experiences testing them head to head against conventional acoustical panels, and provide photos of my ultimate deployment of them in my listening room. At the risk of repeating myself, the client list speaks volumes:

Naturally people steeped in traditional acoustics and/or with no experience with the ZR panels are skeptical of what appears to me to be a disruptive technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Reactions: henrich3

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
They "deconstruct"the sound waves at the level of the air molecule (sound rides on air) before reflections can form by bouncing the air off of thousands of tiny non-parallel surfaces (of a specific angle and pattern) per sf of panel. Explanations, reviews, client lists, etc. appear repeatedly earlier in this thread and in my thread "Trying the ZR Acoustics Panels" where I document my experiences testing them head to head against conventional acoustical panels, and provide photos of my ultimate deployment of them in my listening room. At the risk of repeating myself, the client list speaks volumes:

Naturally people steeped in traditional acoustics and/or with no experience with the ZR panels are skeptical of what appears to me to be a disruptive technology.
Have you tried pointing a fan at them and feeling the air that does/does not come back off the wall?

Reactions: christoph and adyc

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane

I am sure they do work but not by the method stated or to the extent. They are very shallow, not too offensive looking and easy to install so people like them.
As far as I can see there are no measurements backing up the claims. I did see a post that referred to a patent application... I think ? that stated a range somewhere around 250 to 1500 Hz which is very good for the depth so it may well be they have generated a reflection pattern that causes primarily sideways reflection or cancellation or fuzzed it up in some clever way that makes it appear deeper to the sound hitting it so good on them. There are well known ways to do these things.

I think it is the marketing blurb that everyone objects to - it would not be the first product in audio that makes very complicated claims about a new breakthrough that dramatically overstates the case but then show no measurements to back it up. Unlike other areas such as cables this is easily measurable.

I don't think you would get so much eyerolling if you just said you really liked how they worked and avoided repeating the manufacturers claims.
My view on this subject is that "room treatments" are not how we should think about the room, rather it should be acoustic design of the room where all the sound issues likely to arise are considered and dealt with with the minimum of devices that are optimal for the purpose .... this can include furniture, artwork (mount off wall and locate acoustic blanket behind), drapes etc
Banquette seating can become a bass trap, peter A's timber louvres used as diffusers - it goes on and on - if you think about what you are trying to solve use a functional piece of furniture to do the job and where that cant be done you move into the dedicated panels that are specifically designed for the issue identified - it always pains me to see panels all over the place like they were vomited into the room
My own belief is that if you have a calm elegant room that follows these principles you achieve a visually calm and acoustical logical space that enhances your appreciation of the music - its like the visual and aural flow are in balance and you relax more and focus on music... but of course I might be dreaming :oops:

I understand from studies in concert halls that the better your view of performers the betters it sounds regardless of the acoustics ... same with quality of airconditioning - it all allows you to relax and focus on the music - less fatigue etc.

Thats why I would never use ZR panels regardless of how well they worked - the psychedelic era is well gone for me

Phil

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I personally love the look of the wood panels; I'd hang them just for that alone. :)

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I am sure they do work but not by the method stated or to the extent. They are very shallow, not too offensive looking and easy to install so people like them.
As far as I can see there are no measurements backing up the claims. I did see a post that referred to a patent application... I think ? that stated a range somewhere around 250 to 1500 Hz which is very good for the depth so it may well be they have generated a reflection pattern that causes primarily sideways reflection or cancellation or fuzzed it up in some clever way that makes it appear deeper to the sound hitting it so good on them. There are well known ways to do these things.

I think it is the marketing blurb that everyone objects to - it would not be the first product in audio that makes very complicated claims about a new breakthrough that dramatically overstates the case but then show no measurements to back it up. Unlike other areas such as cables this is easily measurable.

I don't think you would get so much eyerolling if you just said you really liked how they worked and avoided repeating the manufacturers claims.
My view on this subject is that "room treatments" are not how we should think about the room, rather it should be acoustic design of the room where all the sound issues likely to arise are considered and dealt with with the minimum of devices that are optimal for the purpose .... this can include furniture, artwork (mount off wall and locate acoustic blanket behind), drapes etc
Banquette seating can become a bass trap, peter A's timber louvres used as diffusers - it goes on and on - if you think about what you are trying to solve use a functional piece of furniture to do the job and where that cant be done you move into the dedicated panels that are specifically designed for the issue identified - it always pains me to see panels all over the place like they were vomited into the room
My own belief is that if you have a calm elegant room that follows these principles you achieve a visually calm and acoustical logical space that enhances your appreciation of the music - its like the visual and aural flow are in balance and you relax more and focus on music... but of course I might be dreaming :oops:

I understand from studies in concert halls that the better your view of performers the betters it sounds regardless of the acoustics ... same with quality of airconditioning - it all allows you to relax and focus on the music - less fatigue etc.

Thats why I would never use ZR panels regardless of how well they worked - the psychedelic era is well gone for me

Phil
The manufacturer's explanation makes sense to me. I don't have any basis for disbelieveing it. I've already talked at great length about how they actually sound - as opposed to speculating.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing