The Best Franco Serblin Designed Loudspeaker?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
In your opinion, of Franco Serblin's own Sonus Faber designs or those designs for his own company. What was his best speaker?

For me it would have to be the Extremas, speakers way ahead of the amplifiers of the day, but amazing nonetheless.

The Electa Amator and the original Amatis are no slouches either....;)

Reactions: Namaste

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Got myself a second pair of Electa Amator 2 as first pair i stupidly sold...

Reactions: bonzo75

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Guarneri takes poll position for me followed by the Ktema

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In your opinion, of Franco Serblin's own Sonus Faber designs or those designs for his own company. What was his best speaker?

For me it would have to be the Extremas, speakers way ahead of the amplifiers of the day, but amazing nonetheless.

The Electa Amator and the original Amatis are no slouches either....;)

The Extrema's, surely. I have owned them but only keep the original Electa Amator with the wood stands and the Guarneri's. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Namaste

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
Stradivari Homage.. Enjoyed them for nearly a decade. I choked up a bit when they were being driven away, hopefully to a good home.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1 and Macattack

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
I think the Extremas with todays SOTA high powered amps would be amazing. Selling these was perhaps my greatest shouldacouldawoulda moment in audio.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My recollection is that the original Extremas thrived on extraordinary power...I remember speaking with people who had heard them with Krell KSA 250s I believe. Today, I think of Gryphon Mephisto, Boulder 2100 or 3000 series...D'Agostino Momentum monos also come to mind. Perhaps the big Pass 0.8-series monos thought I dont know them well.

This is in contrast to the Homage series particularly the Guarneri which while also enjoy high power, also sounded sublime with mid-powered tubes. I think Franco Serblin himself had a Berning OTL in his factory driving the Guarneris during a review.

Reactions: Macattack

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
What do you think about Class D amplifiers, especially the newest (not older!) line of Jeff Rowland, like the 1500W Daemon integrated?
I intend to try my JRDG Daemon with an old Sonus Faber Extrema…

Reactions: RDSChicago

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
I just purchased a pair of Mark Levinson 436 monos which double down to 1400 watts at 2 ohms. They really rock the Extremas. I'd love to try them out on a pair of Ktemas; one of these days!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing