The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do my coffees by pour over/paper filter method. That's the best for me. You need to get a V60 cup or Bonmarche cup of Amazon.

Buy the paper filters. Put one spoon in, and slowly pour water. Each water infusion gets out flavor. So you pour a bit, wait, pour the next bit, wait, so on. Or you can just pour the whole cup depending on how much time you have it is still very good.

The Bonmarche has smaller holes at the bottom than V60, so water drains out slower. That gets out more flavor.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And you can't boil water at 100 if you use a kettle, you need a temperature setting of 85 or 90.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Great stuff...very interesting. We really like the Dr. STrangeglove regular best so far. We HATED the Pineapple Funka one...is that the same as what you meant? My wife, mother-in-law and I each independently had some...none of us liked it. Kind of an odd combination for us...pineapple and coffee. Much preferred the chocolates, biscuits flavors with coffee, even nuts. Dr. Strangeglove as you know is "Dark Chocolate, Kirsch Cherry Liqueur, Toasted Almonds & Maple Syrup"
I hate (with a passion) flavored coffee. To me coffee is only coffee if it is black as a midnight on a moonless night and it is whole bean and ground fresh in my house. Hazel nut, chocolate etc does nothing IMHO except hide the true taste of the coffee

Steve Williams

I do my coffees by pour over/paper filter method. That's the best for me. You need to get a V60 cup or Bonmarche cup of Amazon.

Buy the paper filters. Put one spoon in, and slowly pour water. Each water infusion gets out flavor. So you pour a bit, wait, pour the next bit, wait, so on. Or you can just pour the whole cup depending on how much time you have it is still very good.

The Bonmarche has smaller holes at the bottom than V60, so water drains out slower. That gets out more flavor.
My least favorite way

If I ever brew my coffee in a manner other than with my Jura, I always use a coffee press which makes fabulous coffee

Reactions: ack

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to admit I tried a pinch of ground cardamom this morning with my espresso shot, mixed into the grind; not bad. I took after arabic coffee

Reactions: Steve Williams

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Haha ok.

The other Brazilian I was referring to is Pantano. It seems to be back in stock. Very different from red ruby
Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I hate (with a passion) flavored coffee. To me coffee is only coffee if it is black as a midnight on a moonless night and it is whole bean and ground fresh in my house. Hazel nut, chocolate etc does nothing IMHO except hide the true taste of the coffee
Hi Steve, I get it...but dont most coffees (like wines) have all of these descriptors to how they taste? People dont put cigar smoke in their wine barrels...but they often talk about 'hints of chocolate, crumbled cigars, or nuts and sprigs of cinammon, etc, etc'...and it think that is about the soil, and sometimes if it was stored in a certain kind of barrel.

I dont think anything actual is being added to our whole coffee beans...it is just that they are being grown near blueberries, or something so that they are picking up flavors.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Steve, I get it...but dont most coffees (like wines) have all of these descriptors to how they taste? People dont put cigar smoke in their wine barrels...but they often talk about 'hints of chocolate, crumbled cigars, or nuts and sprigs of cinammon, etc, etc'...and it think that is about the soil, and sometimes if it was stored in a certain kind of barrel.

I dont think anything actual is being added to our whole coffee beans...it is just that they are being grown near blueberries, or something so that they are picking up flavors.

Precisely. It is like wine tasting where they say this has Rasberry in it with a hint of vanilla and win a prize

Reactions: Steve Williams

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is an example from the website of a whole bean coffee:

"[This coffee bean] has a great balance of acidity, sweetness and body with a subtle almond nuttiness, sticky baked apples, and cocoa.

It has a great balance of acidity, sweetness and body with a subtle almond nuttiness, sticky red fruits and cocoa. It is both accessible and adventurous, and the combination of vibrant fruit flavour and bold sweetness makes this coffee as easy leap into the realms of truly exciting and unusual single origin coffees."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Precisely. It is like wine tasting where they say this has Rasberry in it with a hint of vanilla and win a prize
Thanks...thats how we read it.

Steve Williams

I have to admit I tried a pinch of ground cardamom this morning with my espresso shot, mixed into the grind; not bad. I took after arabic coffee
you got me ack because for my olfactory nerve I hate the smell of cardamom. I'm just pure coffee, wanting the best and freshest bean and keep whole bean in my house to be ground only when making coffee

Steve Williams

My mistake and my apology as here in the USA you can get hazelnut flavored coffee, vanilla coffee etc and that was what I was referring to
I search locally , nationally and internationally for the best rated beans and usually buy in bulk when I do
Personally I look for beans that give great espresso

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
you got me ack because for my olfactory nerve I hate the smell of cardamom. I'm just pure coffee, wanting the best and freshest bean and keep whole bean in my house to be ground only when making coffee

Yeah, I agree with you; never again with espresso. I was just experimenting, since I happen to find the smell of cardamom fascinating

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

do you grind your own beans

Hi Steve, rather than say no, I will say, 'not yet'! In truth, the Jura we have has the whole bean grinder...but it also allows us to put in 1 serving of ground coffee via a separate point (if you want to use a different coffee while the main hopper is full of the original whole bean coffee).

This coffee in the separate point MUST be ground...so we will be getting a grinder since we think that is the logical way to do decaf which we rarely drink. What do you recommend? What is the equivalent in the coffee grinder world of the Sennheiser HD650 or Maggie 0.7?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My mistake and my apology as here in the USA you can get hazelnut flavored coffee, vanilla coffee etc and that was what I was referring to
I search locally , nationally and internationally for the best rated beans and usually buy in bulk when I do
Personally I look for beans that give great espresso
Yes...totally know what you mean...the liquid stuff you get in the airport lounge which is basically hazelnut sauce coffee.

Steve Williams

Hi Steve, rather than say no, I will say, 'not yet'! In truth, the Jura we have has the whole bean grinder...but it also allows us to put in 1 serving of ground coffee via a separate point (if you want to use a different coffee while the main hopper is full of the original whole bean coffee).

This coffee in the separate point MUST be ground...so we will be getting a grinder since we think that is the logical way to do decaf which we rarely drink. What do you recommend? What is the equivalent in the coffee grinder world of the Sennheiser HD650 or Maggie 0.7?
I know the spout Lloyd. All Jura have a spout for ground coffeee. I can tell you that in the past 20 years I have owned 5 different Jura models abd have never once used that spout. Lloyd you’re truly missing out by not grinding your own beans. Even the type of grinder and the fineness of the grind is a factor

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know the spout Lloyd. All Jura have a spout for ground coffeee. I can tell you that in the past 20 years I have owned 5 different Jura models abd have never once used that spout. Lloyd you’re truly missing out by not grinding your own beans. Even the type of grinder and the fineness of the grind is a factor
Ugh...I know. The very same could be said about audio...one hobby is plenty! Though at least it is one I enjoy while working...and I suppose I could say the same about caffeine! ;)

What single [simple to use] coffee grinder would you say is the equivalent of the Sennheiser HD650, Maggie 0.7 or the Krell KSA 50 of old?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
You might revisit my suggestion to have some of those small tester bags, or decaf, ground in the shop on their £40K grinder. Even if you can't tell your friends on the internet about partaking in such heresy.

Freshness penalty is broadly offset by quality of grind.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing