The Colibri “Master Signature”

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Hi kodomo, my two Colibris needed a fair bit of breaking in before they really began to sing. I see this more in the 100h region than much below that.

I run/ran both my former 'standard' XGW Grenadille and now the Sig at 1,4g VTF and 1kOhm load with my Pass XP-25. Both in an SME 312s with Ortofon TSW-5000 cable. The tonearm is absolutely straight and azimut on the Sig is best I ever measured on any cartridge with Adjust+. Listening confirmed this so no need for much fiddling there.

Reactions: kodomo and bonzo75

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hi kodomo, my two Colibris needed a fair bit of breaking in before they really began to sing. I see this more in the 100h region than much below that.
There is some harshness/sibilance that is too much and the whole frequency spectrum is tilted towards highs, it may get tamed a little but not this much I guess. I am aware of break-in needed but hearing other peoples reports on when they first installed their mss, I think I have a setup problem.

I have calculated my current settings for preamp. Here it is, there does not seem to be a problem. It says input with overload at 4mV and my colibri is 1.1mV.
I will try higher and lower gain as well as higher loads (I have read 180ohm seems to be the perfect match for internal 13ohm resistance).

Attachments

• preampsettings.jpeg
    preampsettings.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Kodomo,

Have you checked that the cantilever is absolutely straight? Have you looked with a digital microscope or iPhone microscope to confirm the angle of the stylus to the vinyl?

I found the same with a VDH XGW so you might need a new cartridge. There have been some QC issues with the VDH carts so worth trying to work out whether it is the cart rather than setup and / or electrical mismatch.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hi Kodomo,

Have you checked that the cantilever is absolutely straight? Have you looked with a digital microscope or iPhone microscope to confirm the angle of the stylus to the vinyl?

I found the same with a VDH XGW so you might need a new cartridge. There have been some QC issues with the VDH carts so worth trying to work out whether it is the cart rather than setup and / or electrical mismatch.

When you say you found the same, do you mean harshness/sibilance or a cantilever that was not straight. I feel the cantilevers suspension may have a problem but, I will try for a few more days and then write to VdH.

For info, I have now also tried low (2mV) and high sensitivity settings and it made no difference just the change of output level. I change the load and it made a tonal difference and added nice dynamic on 150ohms but no change for sibilance/harshness issue. I tried varying levels of vta too but no difference for the problem as well. I have also tried three different cables with no effect.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Kodomo, the MSS is one hell of a cartridge! I haven’ heard anything like it before. It’s superb but an absolute PITA to set up ( at least to a novice like me). I must admit I still havent been able to completely get rid of the excessive sibilance. It sounds divine on classical and jazz though. It’s some vocals and on rock that it doesn’t ‘behave’.
I wrote to VDH. They advised me to set up in a way whereby the rear of the Tonearm is 7mm higher than the front with the stylus resting on the record surface. This has indeed helped a lot to alleviate the problem. According to VDH, the stylus should ‘dig’ into the groove and the 7mm height difference helps achieve that.
As to other measures, gain is currently at 66 db and loading at 320 ohm.
And as I write this, Led Zeppelin is sounding absolutely divine, which has me all flummoxed as it’s classic hard rock and according to what I wrote earlier, shouldn’t sound nice......but it’s sounding great! Leaves me shaking my head!

Try adjusting the VTA so that the rear is 7mm up relative to the front and see what happens. Just so that you know, I had to raise the arm quite a bit from the rear to achieve this.

Cheers

Reactions: hogen and kodomo

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
When you say you found the same, do you mean harshness/sibilance or a cantilever that was not straight. I feel the cantilevers suspension may have a problem but, I will try for a few more days and then write to VdH.

For info, I have now also tried low (2mV) and high sensitivity settings and it made no difference just the change of output level. I change the load and it made a tonal difference and added nice dynamic on 150ohms but no change for sibilance/harshness issue. I tried varying levels of vta too but no difference for the problem as well. I have also tried three different cables with no effect.

Hi,

I had sibilance and after doing all the things you are doing now, I narrowed it down to a slightly skewed cantilever.

I am fairly sure your cartridge isn’t tracking correctly hence the issues you have.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Do you have experience with other high output cartridges in your phono stage? Sometimes phono stages just change the gain in the output stage or changing the feedback resistor, and do not cope well subjectively with higher outputs.

My ARC phono stage loves the MSS (.9mV) but the Adyton solid state one makes it sound tilted towards high frequencies.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
They advised me to set up in a way whereby the rear of the Tonearm is 7mm higher than the front with the stylus resting on the record surface. This has indeed helped a lot to alleviate the problem. According to VDH, the stylus should ‘dig’ into the groove and the 7mm height difference helps achieve that.

Sujay, Can you please tell me what is the tonearm you are using and where exactly did you get those measurements for the 7mm difference.

Do you have experience with other high output cartridges in your phono stage? Sometimes phono stages just change the gain in the output stage or changing the feedback resistor, and do not cope well subjectively with higher outputs.

No, this is my first high output mc, ones I had were all 0,2mV to 0,3mV

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

My ARC phono stage loves the MSS (.9mV) but the Adyton solid state one makes it sound tilted towards high frequencies.

What made you try the Adyton? It does not seem to be known well outside Norway. I compared their amps to burmester 911 and gryphon colosseum ones on kef blades and gryphon pantheon

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What made you try the Adyton? It does not seem to be known well outside Norway. I compared their amps to burmester 911 and gryphon colosseum ones on kef blades and gryphon pantheon

Well, I own it and no one wanted to to buy it at the advertised price when I listed it a few months ... :( Curiously it sounds good with my old van den Hul Black Beauty (.25mV) .

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Sujay, Can you please tell me what is the tonearm you are using and where exactly did you get those measurements for the 7mm difference.
I am using the AMG 12 inch tonearm. The measurements came from VDH. I wrote to them.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I set the mss up yesterday. I am at 1.5gr vtf, 1gr anti-skating (min. I can get with a 4 point, how does Tima deal with this?

Hi - Yes, smallest anti-skate weight that comes with 4Point is 1gram. I would like to have a .5g weight or smaller, but search as I may, I cannot find such. I can tell you what I will try is one or more AS568-001 O-rings.

4P anti-skate 'pin' is ~ .041-inch or 1.04mm. I'll guess it is meant to be 1mm. The AS568 I came to learn is a set of standardized O-ring sizes published by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), with -001 being the smallest O-ring having an inside diameter of .029-inch.

I placed an order for 10 (minimum) in two different materials, Silcone and Buna-N Nitrile. These are tiny but I do not know what they weigh. At 5¢ ea, this is an experiment I can afford. :)

An alternative, Kodomo, is your idea to make a .5g (or whatever) glop of blu-tack or similar.

Btw, which Grail phonostage did you order - the SB? The 3-box SE just came out (~$60k ?).

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Hi - Yes, smallest anti-skate weight that comes with 4Point is 1gram. I would like to have a .5g weight or smaller, but search as I may, I cannot find such. I can tell you what I will try is one or more AS568-001 O-rings.

4P anti-skate 'pin' is ~ .041-inch or 1.04mm. I'll guess it is meant to be 1mm. The AS568 I came to learn is a set of standardized O-ring sizes published by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), with -001 being the smallest O-ring having an inside diameter of .029-inch.

I placed an order for 10 (minimum) in two different materials, Silcone and Buna-N Nitrile. These are tiny but I do not know what they weigh. At 5¢ ea, this is an experiment I can afford. :)

An alternative, Kodomo, is your idea to make a .5g (or whatever) glop of blu-tack or similar.

Btw, which Grail phonostage did you order - the SB? The 3-box SE just came out (~$60k ?). I hoping to get a review sample sometime after Axpona.

Yes, I have made a weight out of blu-tak that is 75% lighter than the supplied weight. It seems to be ok for now.

I am torn between a choice between to go fully balanced or unbalanced with my system so I did not order the Grail pre yet.

Is there any info I can find on the new grail se?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
To avoid 100h or even more break in time with real music, I am using the

Clearaudio cartridge break in record

https://clearaudio.de/blog/tonabneh...lp/clearaudio-cartridge-break-in-test-record/

which gives a smoother Colibri sound in some days.

Nice. What type of sound is recorded in this LP? During cartridge break-in I usually follow David Wilson general advice - I play chamber music that usually is recorded at high levels and has high energy density. Besides I enjoy Bach ...

Reactions: shakti and bonzo75

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Nice. What type of sound is recorded in this LP? During cartridge break-in I usually follow David Wilson general advice - I play chamber music that usually is recorded at high levels and has high energy density. Besides I enjoy Bach ...

Endless grooves of pink noise, and a low-frequency phase sweep for anti-skate.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing