The Colibri “Master Signature”

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Do you have any picture illustrating the cross shaped modulator scheme or a detailed description of it? What is exactly meant by "the half of a round wire length less "?

The DC resistance of any MC Cart is defined by the length of the wire used for the Coil.

The length of the wire for the cross coil is a little different for the left and the right channel, which in theory results in a little different DC resistance for the left and the right channel within the given tolerances.

Using Platin wire for the Platin Colibri this could make a difference, as the DC resistance of Platin wire is higher than the standard Gold wire.

Please have a look to the picture. You can see that the cross coil and you can get the idea, of the length of a half curve around the cross.

6046971878_65a64df524_b.jpg

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't see why, never heard that common claim. Tang is using EMT, David is using Lamm, Schroeder and Schick use Silbatone in the WE room, Kevin of vox Olympian uses Kondo, all sound fantastic.

I forgot, I heard the 0.5 also through Allnic 5000, and also through an Aesthetix IO eclipse with an EAR sut. Sounded excellent

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
My Dutch vdh broker sent me some Duende Criatura Platinum Headshell wires to overcome the fade out of the platinum Colibries.

This is, what the marketing text is saying :

A high end solid platinum set cartridge leads of Duende Criatura, hand made by a world famous Goldsmith and High end developer. These leads are made from a 99,999999 % pure Swiss laboratory quality solid platinum 0,3 mm diameter. Each lead is 5,5 cm long and has a high quality isolation. Terminated with 24 K gold plated Van den Hul 1.2 cartridge clips.

My Dutch vdh broker sent me some Duende Criatura Platinum Headshell wires to overcome the fade out of the platinum Colibries.

I liked the tonality of the platinum Colibri a lot, as the ares of critical sibilants was much mir integrated and smooth than with the current gold wires.

Due to the high DC resistance of 500ohm the Platin Colibri were difficult to load on a phono stage, best results were with the 5K input with the Aestethix IO3

But now are this platinum headshell leads available, for around 200,- eur not cheap, but in the price region of other high end headshell cables.

To overcome potential impedance match problem I tried out the cables with my Soundsmith "The Voice" on the 47kohm input.

The difference of the platinum wires to copper and silver are as known from before.

The Platinum adds a kind of natural flow, a kind of smoothness, a little richness in the mid bass area which I like a lot. The room/stage seem to wider, the positions a little better.

Than I tried it with a standard vdh Colibri . Even without changing the load on the phono stage the effect was very much the same.

So I will order now more of this head shell wires, my Lyra Titan will like the plating as well.

And the silver wires an can use than on the Madake :)

I placed this comment in the Master Signature thread, as to my knowledge some users like to have the MS more smooth, so this Platin add on might be the missing little step to full satisfaction.

IMG_1257.jpg

Reactions: GMKF and Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Do you happen to know the lowest output available? I think @Tango has 0,5mV?

The lowest is 0.5mV. I have both 0.5 and 1.1mV. I am not so picky on little things. There is minimal difference. But as for anything hand made that is to be expected.

I love the recondition service of Vdh. I sent my 0.5mV to them. It took only a week for them to send back. Cost is peanut. In my case I felt my cart was losing body somehow. That's why I bought the second one to cross check. Sending it back makes sure I have the sound they intended to give me and a peace of mind for just €12.

Tang :)

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
The lowest is 0.5mV. I have both 0.5 and 1.1mV. I am not so picky on little things. There is minimal difference. But as for anything hand made that is to be expected.

I love the recondition service of Vdh. I sent my 0.5mV to them. It took only a week for them to send back. Cost is peanut. In my case I felt my cart was losing body somehow. That's why I bought the second one to cross check. Sending it back makes sure I have the sound they intended to give me and a peace of mind for just €12.

Tang :)

I guess it's very different in Europe - I sent mine in for a suspension tweak and it took almost 4 months to get it back...

Reactions: bazelio

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
i have a new Colibri Master Signature Strad, with 1.1mv output, and the Brazilian Pau Wood body, incoming to me.

it has the metal screw threads. excited to hear it.
I can not wait to hear your opinions about ms Colibri vs Anna diamond

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i can't wait to hear my opinions either. :rolleyes: i tried very hard to avoid buying this cartridge:eek:......but resistance was futile.:cool:

Just remember whatever you write, Marc will be parsing your words for what you didn't

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
The MS Colibri is a fantastic cartridge indeed but with a rider. In my view, it is very selective of the music and recording that you play through it. Depending upon genre and the recoding, the reproduction ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous!
I have been thinking long and hard and have come to the conclusion that as much as I adore the cartridge, I need a more balanced cartridge, especially considering that my musical taste is wide and varied straddling genres - I am especially fond of classical rock and most of them sound awful through the MS.

So if there isn’t anyone interested in buying this off me, please do PM me. It’s sparingly used (under 100 hrs) and in immaculate condition.

Cheers

Sujay

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The MS Colibri is a fantastic cartridge indeed but with a rider. In my view, it is very selective of the music and recording that you play through it. Depending upon genre and the recoding, the reproduction ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous!
I have been thinking long and hard and have come to the conclusion that as much as I adore the cartridge, I need a more balanced cartridge, especially considering that my musical taste is wide and varied straddling genres - I am especially fond of classical rock and most of them sound awful through the MS.

So if there isn’t anyone interested in buying this off me, please do PM me. It’s sparingly used (under 100 hrs) and in immaculate condition.

Cheers

Sujay

That's when you want to have tt with multiple arms.

I suggest you try MSL Platinum. It is an exciting cart that could do all you mentioned. And you could find one at less than €6,000.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
sure thing, Tango. I will explore this as soon as I can sell mine. By the way it’s the Master Signature XGW African Wood body with a 1.1mv output! Pretty top of the heap

Attachments

• 2810EB7F-028B-402F-8F1C-886C57F862F8.jpeg
    2810EB7F-028B-402F-8F1C-886C57F862F8.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 728A4681-EDF1-47B2-A793-5F3131E47299.jpeg
    728A4681-EDF1-47B2-A793-5F3131E47299.jpeg
    682.5 KB · Views: 15

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
i have a new Colibri Master Signature Strad, with 1.1mv output, and the Brazilian Pau Wood body, incoming to me.

it has the metal screw threads. excited to hear it.

I suggest tightening gently. The metal screw threads are glued to the wood and can come loose. Later iterations thread straight into the wood. Enjoy!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I suggest tightening gently. The metal screw threads are glued to the wood and can come loose. Later iterations thread straight into the wood. Enjoy!

i've owned 9 previous vdh Colibri's, 5 of which were wood bodies. 2 are recent (in the last 18 months) and one of those i still have. all the wood bodies had screws straight into the wood.

so you are saying that this metal thread iteration of the Colibri is something in the past? and now they are going away from it? i agree it's logical that the metal parts could come loose if over-tightened. thank you for the alert.

i'm a 'snug' tighten guy and not an 'over-tighten' guy.

this cartridge is a very recent build.....and my info is that the metal screw threads are a current build feature. but that's second party info to me.....and it could be wrong. fine threads directly into the wood have their own set of pitfalls from over tightening.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
depending on the wood, you will find metal screw threads or not, AGW is without, Koa (is) with.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
i've owned 9 previous vdh Colibri's, 5 of which were wood bodies. 2 are recent (in the last 18 months) and one of those i still have. all the wood bodies had screws straight into the wood.

so you are saying that this metal thread iteration of the Colibri is something in the past? and now they are going away from it? i agree it's logical that the metal parts could come loose if over-tightened. thank you for the alert.

i'm a 'snug' tighten guy and not an 'over-tighten' guy.

this cartridge is a very recent build.....and my info is that the metal screw threads are a current build feature. but that's second party info to me.....and it could be wrong. fine threads directly into the wood have their own set of pitfalls from over tightening.

US distributor told me the switch from metal threads to the native body for MS was ear this year. Canna say for non-US. Serial nbr has the date. I agree about threading straight into the wood and snug w/ wood body.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
the Master Signature 1.1mv. has landed. installed it tonight on the Saskia/Tosca. been listening for a few hours now. at first running 1.55 VTF, now at 1.42 VTF seems a bit more balanced.

actually quite well behaved. not really very edgy, but plenty of energy in the top frequencies (like real life). to my ears that serves the music. i really like it so far.

2 hours in---first impressions; (1) it's a space machine, (2) the tonal density of the Saskia compliments the frequency balance of the Master Signature nicely, (3) a staggering amount of detail and texture, maybe the ultimate 'veils lifted' cart (4) the sound stage is exceptionally revealed into the far recesses, (5) it unravels complex passages with ease, and maintains a musical sense no matter what (6) super fast, delicate and nuanced........and (7) is happy with all types of music so far......but certainly has it's own take on things.

most of that stuff are also attributes of the Anna Diamond to one degree or another......except that 'plenty of high frequency' thing. too soon otherwise for any comparisons.

Mas Sig-1.jpg Mas Sig-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and bazelio

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
the Master Signature 1.1mv. has landed. installed it tonight on the Saskia/Tosca. been listening for a few hours now. at first running 1.55 VTF, now at 1.42 VTF seems a bit more balanced.

actually quite well behaved. not really very edgy, but plenty of energy in the top frequencies. to my ears that serves the music. i really like it so far.

2 hours in first impressions; (1) it's a space machine, (2) the tonal density of the Saskia compliments the frequency balance of the Master Signature nicely, (3) a staggering amount of detail and texture, (4) the sound stage is exceptionally revealed into the far recesses, (5) it unravels complex passages with ease, (6) super fast, delicate and nuanced........and (7) is happy with all types of music so far......but certainly has it's own take on things.

most of that stuff are also attributes of the Anna Diamond to one degree or another......except that 'plenty of high frequency' thing. too soon otherwise for any comparisons.

View attachment 56708 View attachment 56709
You are wayyy better than me describing this cart sir. Go down on vtf more after a 100 hours.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: hogen

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
You are wayyy better than me describing this cart sir. Go down on vtf more after a 100 hours.

Kind regards,
Tang
Way better than me too:)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Kind regards,
Tang

i will watch the hours and make sure i follow your suggestions kind sir.

Way better than me too:)

thanks guys, but i wish i could be more like others describing parts of the music. i just don't know that stuff.....never learned it. my vocabulary is mostly limited to the sounds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing