The Colibri “Master Signature”

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
getting back to cartridges, vdH Cartridges, vdH Colibri Cartridges that is.....there is a Stradivarius, and Strad Signature, and a Master Signature.

i've owned one of each of those in the last 2 years.

below the Stradivarious there is a Crimson.

then there are variants of each one depending on the mood and whimsy of Mr. vdH. and i realize that likely i only know one part of this story.

got that?

there will be a test later.:rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, that is quite the collection. Did you have any of those cartridges in your system for 150 hours? I am finding that my cartridge continues to improve and I’m now at 160 hours. Slight adjustments in vertical tracking force and VTA. This is one sensitive cartridge.

Peter; no, i've not spent the time to dig deep enough to discover all the magic from these recent vdH cartridges. i had intentions to do that, but it did not happen. i differ to yours, Tang's and other's investigations.

my previous 7 vdH Colibri's i used for years but these newer one's are a different breed.

Reactions: PeterA

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Well I could not get into VdH MS strad like Tang and others did, maybe it was not suitable for my system and ordered an Anna Diamond and a Kuzma Car60. So if anyone is bothered by US prices, or even European prices for that matter, I am selling mine for 4k euros and it is the African Blackwood model with 1.1mV output with less than 100 hours on it! It has to go as I have one tonearm and an accommodating wife but she is against keeping stuff that is collecting dust. So I either sell it or I should get another turntable and tell her I will put it on there :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter; no, i've not spent the time to dig deep enough to discover all the magic from these recent vdH cartridges. i had intentions to do that, but it did not happen. i differ to yours, Tang's and other's investigations.

my previous 7 vdH Colibri's i used for years but these newer one's are a different breed.

Thanks Mike. I understand. This Master Signature is taking longer to break in than any other cartridge I have owned. I am glad that I have not given up. It has really improved after 150 hours, and I think I am learning a bit more about setting it up properly and slowly optimizing its sound. Who knows?

You have lots of other cool stuff that you are focused on now. BTW, my friend to whom you sold the XGW Stradivarius is really enjoying his new cartridge. We have had many nice conversations about it. It is also on a 3012R arm.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you very much! Now I have all the details I need to drive David crazy with the exact cartridge I want to order! :D

Best is to have David try different ones on yours and pay for the one you like. But you like to buy before trying so that might not work

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Best is to have David try different ones on yours and pay for the one you like. But you like to buy before trying so that might not work

I think AS-2000 is the only thing I have ever bought before trying. :p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think AS-2000 is the only thing I have ever bought before trying. :p

In your own system. You should buy amps and this cart only when you hear them in your system, the cart with the aesthetix. Unless you buy the amps you heard with your speaker

Reactions: gian60

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yesterday I was listening to Mike's recommended Ben Webster Sunday Morning at Montmartre with the Master Sig. Everyone should have this album. The whole album is good. But the last song side B, Set Call, really gives one suspension of disbelief. My recent change of room front wall really un-leaches the potential of the Master Sig. It is the most transparent and flushingly energetic cartridge that I have ever heard. It pulls further away from the pack of carts I own. As I watched the VU meter on the EMT phono, every time it swinged into redline, the dynamic, the surge, the energy of the instruments being played just flushed at me sitting 5.5 meter away from the speakers. And it doesn't just flush or snap at, the manner it does is so exciting because it comes out of total clarity like you were eating bbq spareribs in HardRock Cafe during gig time. May be my system and room are complimenting this. I set up my sound to be very naked and raw that's how I like it. The Master Sig is just that. The AS2000 and 3012R are also just that...naked and raw. You fingernail on the head shell of 3012r with MS, the sound will tick tick out of your speakers. If you are into super refine, edgyness free, ear pleasing, warm, slamming bass, smooth as silk sound, don't bother buying this cart or the 3012R. It will displease you.

I admit Mike's feedback on the Esturo Gold made me itch to try. His level of reference is very high yet it gobsmacked him. Mik's endorsement also make it very assuring. I was even talking to buy together with Gian. But now the itch is just downgraded to a curiosity. Although I have been living with the Master Sig for quite some time. listening to this Ben Webster and other good records I have these past few days, the MS doesn't just gobsmack. It "clothesline" me off the chair. How is this for free advertising, Mr. Van Den Hul. :D

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
This sort of excitment for the music is what is wonderful about this hobby.

Also a testament to system AND setup AND listening priorities. Every few months a new cartridge is the 'it' cartridge. But it takes more than a little effort and self knowledge to make it all shake your soul.

Tang, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

Reactions: Tango and jazdoc

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Tang, wonderful and very entertaining write-up. agree that record is fantastic and communicates the venue and live music at the highest level. until you hear the tape, which goes even further down that road.

i think this is Ben Webster at his highest form.

glad the Master Signature hits all the bases for you. don't hurt yourself with that clothes line. it can leave a mark.:eek:

Reactions: Tango

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh, dear Tang, thank you very much for the warning! I appreciate it! :)

I definitely appreciate the energy, the "aliveness," the realism of the vdHs. I totally, totally understand why people love these cartridges! I get it!

Sample-to-sample variation aside, in theory, I would prefer the Colibri XGW AGW Stradivarius over a Master Signature in Koa wood.

But for me, personally, it would be more of a limited use cartridge, for particular classical and jazz recordings. I don't think it could be my general purpose cartridge for rock and pop and girl with guitar. I think on those genres of music my sensitivity to sibilance would wake me out of the dream state.

Reactions: sujay

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Yesterday I was listening to Mike's recommended Ben Webster Sunday Morning at Montmartre with the Master Sig. Everyone should have this album. The whole album is good. But the last song side B, Set Call, really gives one suspension of disbelief. My recent change of room front wall really un-leaches the potential of the Master Sig. It is the most transparent and flushingly energetic cartridge that I have ever heard. It pulls further away from the pack of carts I own. As I watched the VU meter on the EMT phono, every time it swinged into redline, the dynamic, the surge, the energy of the instruments being played just flushed at me sitting 5.5 meter away from the speakers. And it doesn't just flush or snap at, the manner it does is so exciting because it comes out of total clarity like you were eating bbq spareribs in HardRock Cafe during gig time. May be my system and room are complimenting this. I set up my sound to be very naked and raw that's how I like it. The Master Sig is just that. The AS2000 and 3012R are also just that...naked and raw. You fingernail on the head shell of 3012r with MS, the sound will tick tick out of your speakers. If you are into super refine, edgyness free, ear pleasing, warm, slamming bass, smooth as silk sound, don't bother buying this cart or the 3012R. It will displease you.

I admit Mike's feedback on the Esturo Gold made me itch to try. His level of reference is very high yet it gobsmacked him. Mik's endorsement also make it very assuring. I was even talking to buy together with Gian. But now the itch is just downgraded to a curiosity. Although I have been living with the Master Sig for quite some time. listening to this Ben Webster and other good records I have these past few days, the MS doesn't just gobsmack. It "clothesline" me off the chair. How is this for free advertising, Mr. Van Den Hul. :D

I agree with you on everything about MS cartridge. I don’t have much experience on other cartridges. But I have no intention to try other cartridges. I sometimes wonder whether this cartridge is colured. But I like this colour very much. But this cartridge indeed exhibits a bit sibilance on vocals. Some records are more than the others. However, I always have MSL Platinum to fall back on vocal records.

Reactions: Tango

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I agree with you on everything about MS cartridge. I don’t have much experience on other cartridges. But I have no intention to try other cartridges. I sometimes wonder whether this cartridge is colured. But I like this colour very much. But this cartridge indeed exhibits a bit sibilance on vocals. Some records are more than the others. However, I always have MSL Platinum to fall back on vocal records.
There is never a one size fit all. (The curiosity is whether the Esturo is a one size fit all.) I do use the MSL platinum for vocals too. The tone is definitely thicker, much less sibilance, lesser than Opus1 too, and exhibit less surface noise. The no sibilance cart I find is the Atlas SL but the color is less vivid toward matt some say neutral.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I heard a nearly new MSL Platinum and found it to be a bit overly smooth sounding. Does this go away with time, or is it just me?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

Which pressing do you have Tang?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thank you Khun Tang but there is not enough info on the cover. This could be either UK or Germany 77 pressing :) There is also an ORG repress named gone with the wind but it does not say if it was made from the tape masters, it was pressed at Pallas though... Lucky as they are all cheap enough to try a few different ones, or should we ask the General.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you Khun Tang but there is not enough info on the cover. This could be either UK or Germany 77 pressing :) There is also an ORG repress named gone with the wind but it does not say if it was made from the tape masters, it was pressed at Pallas though... Lucky as they are all cheap enough to try a few different ones, or should we ask the General.
I have the one made in England.

Reactions: kodomo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing