The fun never ends!

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Just recently I spent a week with my parents in Boston. Dad's 97, Mom's 88, and we're so lucky to have them...particularly given the result when I asked my Dad if any of his buddies had any interesting older audio equipment hiding in their basements that they'd like to get rid of. Not 2 weeks later, a box arrived at my apartment in NYC with a Thorens TD 124 Series 1, s/n 3402, and an SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved that was original to the deck. The cartridge on the arm was an Empire 880p, and there was also a box with an assortment of Shures and Stantons, and a nice Pickering XSV 3000, all with original styli in quite good condition. The 'table has gone off to Greg Metz at STS, and the arm to Alfred Kayser. The Empire got mounted on a Bokrand 12" that's on my Lenco/PTP6...and WOW!! Holy moly is that thing impressive! Liquid mids, and no lack of clear extension in either direction, and a superbly rendered soundstage. This thing is 60 years old, and it is giving me great listening that may not rival my Schroeder Reference/Allaerts, but it is thumping the SPU that usually lives on the Bokrand. So now I'm really excited about putting it back on the Thorens/SME that it quietly was a part of unused for the last 40 years. The costs of restoration are not insignificant for the table and arm, but will be worth it, even though it sets me back (again) from my goal of a Dave Slagle SUT....

I love this hobby...

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just recently I spent a week with my parents in Boston. Dad's 97, Mom's 88, and we're so lucky to have them...particularly given the result when I asked my Dad if any of his buddies had any interesting older audio equipment hiding in their basements that they'd like to get rid of. Not 2 weeks later, a box arrived at my apartment in NYC with a Thorens TD 124 Series 1, s/n 3402, and an SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved that was original to the deck. The cartridge on the arm was an Empire 880p, and there was also a box with an assortment of Shures and Stantons, and a nice Pickering XSV 3000, all with original styli in quite good condition. The 'table has gone off to Greg Metz at STS, and the arm to Alfred Kayser. The Empire got mounted on a Bokrand 12" that's on my Lenco/PTP6...and WOW!! Holy moly is that thing impressive! Liquid mids, and no lack of clear extension in either direction, and a superbly rendered soundstage. This thing is 60 years old, and it is giving me great listening that may not rival my Schroeder Reference/Allaerts, but it is thumping the SPU that usually lives on the Bokrand. So now I'm really excited about putting it back on the Thorens/SME that it quietly was a part of unused for the last 40 years. The costs of restoration are not insignificant for the table and arm, but will be worth it, even though it sets me back (again) from my goal of a Dave Slagle SUT....

I love this hobby...
This sounds really like a fantastic story! It's fun to read about it, so I cannot even imagine how exciting is to be able to revive something that wasn't used for almost half of the century... Any photos to share?;)

Reactions: paolo

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
The table looks rough, but the motor and bearing are in as-new condition. I don't think it was used much. But spending all that time unprotected in a dusty basement did a number on the finish of the table, and even more on the arm...Amazingly, the cart looks great, and sounds even better. I'm falling for the aesthetic: sort of a Star Wars-type form, like one of the 'droid's heads.

IMG_0731.jpg
Paint is trashed, so I'm thinking about going to a new color. Not sure what. Maybe just leave it raw cast aluminum...
IMG_0727.jpeg
Arm is a mess. Alfred Kayser has already done one of these for me, and it is stunning, so I'm hoping this one will be as nice when he's done.
IMG_0744.jpeg
The Empire on a Bokrand 12", Yamamoto Sound Craft Carbon Fiber Headshell, on the Lenco/PTP6, playing Duke beautifully....

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK

I love this hobby...
Reminds me of a day many years ago when I was looking for a pair of speakers for my weekend home in Sussex. I placed a wanted ad in the "Under £20" section of the local paper and received a reply from someone offering a pair of large speakers. I went to check them out - as far as I can tell, they were Westrex 2326A 2-way monitoring speakers featuring 15" woofers and hugely heavy tweeters. I said I'd have them.

The seller then asked if I'd be interested in the other equipment in the garage. All housed in an Imhofs hi-fi cabinet and featured Garrard 301 with Shure M212 arm and stylus. I'd never seen or even heard of this arm but it turns out that it originally cost double the price of locally made SME 3012. The arm doesn’t move up and down but a button raised a snake-head that housed the stylus. A high-speed Ferrograph Series V tape recorder was built in, and the electronics consisted of Acoustical Quad FM tuner, Quad 22 control preamp and a pair of Quad II power amps. All circa 1962. I thought £25 for the lot (plus £20 for the speakers) was a pretty good buy.

PS - I'd be interested to learn more about the Shure arm. Has anyone owned one or can give more details of this rare and costly beast?

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm so jealous... I haven't ever seen scores like that. Anyone in my family has junk.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
That was a very interesting arm…if i recall, it has a pair of jewels at the pivot that allow lateral movement, and two more at the headshell for vertical. Similar somewhat to the Transcriptors Vestigal in separating out the axes of motion, the result being that the only load on the record would be the weight of the cartridge. The arm “rest” is actually a magnet in a vertical rod that held the arm in place. The cartridge was proprietary, so i think that might have been its downfall.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I'm so jealous... I haven't ever seen scores like that. Anyone in my family has junk.
It was a surprise, that’s for sure! Years ago when i first started to get interested in making amps and building speakers, the same dad told me he had thrown out a bunch of “outdated” stuff ten years earlier because i hadn’t been too interested…back when i was 8. He’d tossed a pair of Fisher amps, a pair of Scott preamps, Scott tuner, and Altec Valencias. It had started as a mono system that he eventually doubled up for stereo. Turntable was, according to him, junk: a garrard changer. At least he came through with a Dynaco ST-70 about 25 years ago that was to become a Don Garber-built and Noriasu Komuro designed masterpiece that still holds court in my system.

Reactions: mtemur and Folsom

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Well, just spoke with Alfred Kayser, and it turns out that the arm (what was left of it - it was missing the entire back-end!) is in very rough shape. The cost of doing this particular arm correctly would be prohibitive. I'm still hot on an early SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved on the Thorens, so I think the original arm will be a gift of parts to Alfred, and I'll pick up one of his already restored arms. Now I'm crossing my fingers that the Thorens is salvageable!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Well, just spoke with Alfred Kayser, and it turns out that the arm (what was left of it - it was missing the entire back-end!) is in very rough shape. The cost of doing this particular arm correctly would be prohibitive. I'm still hot on an early SME 3009 Series 2 non-improved on the Thorens, so I think the original arm will be a gift of parts to Alfred, and I'll pick up one of his already restored arms. Now I'm crossing my fingers that the Thorens is salvageable!
I'm sorry to hear about the arm. Nonetheless, the pictures you shared are really great. It is a living history and I really appreciate you taking care of it.

Reactions: Robert Young

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I'm sorry to hear about the arm. Nonetheless, the pictures you shared are really great. It is a living history and I really appreciate you taking care of it.
Thanks...I've asked Alfred to substitute the old sled for whatever is on the one he sells me, so at least there's a small nod to the original.

I had intended to keep this table mostly vintage, but having heard from a number of you privately about the quality of the STS work on Thorens, I think this may give my over-the-top Lenco/PTP6 a run for th emoney. Either way, given the expense, a really great 'table my be on the market soon. I just don't know which one!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
There's actually one for sale on flea bay right now...
Yes I noticed that - £212 for an M212. Big used equipment trader, but I guess they have no real idea of its value so took a stab at its model number in pounds as a start.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
The Thorens wasn't in anywhere near as good a shape as I'd hoped...the chassis has a bit of a bend in it (which apparently can be deat with using small shims at the armboard), and the motor may need new coils. Also, the bearing, though it seems good, has the nylon instead of sintered bronze bushings...not necessarily a bad thing, given it has little wear to date, but probably not the best option. Of course, throwing money at the problem works, but only if you have money!

Another new challenge: picking a color. I have never liked the original "Swiss Army Beige," and would much prefer a silvery grey, but I'm also hesitant to devalue the 124 by changing from original...

Anyway, time to start writing a few checks.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Hey I started out with one like this..had to give up my comics to pay each week for it..My Dad taught me well...

View attachment 80584

Then a Radiogram..70's
View attachment 80589

Then Finally a Sony Separates, must be over 10 years maybe 15 even..work well except need a needle replacement and the 'cassette is jammed'...

View attachment 80590
Love that Decca...funny that the image is reversed.

I sometimes yearn for the systems of my past, though really only the Nagra PLP/VPA + Sonus faber Amati Homage + Teres + Schroeder/Allaerts was truly stunning in all ways. But I have a nostalgic urge to find a Sansui Au-717 integrated amp and a pair of DCM Timewindows to return to my glory days of youth...

The Thorens will be rebuilt to a very high degree, with the intention to have it challenge my Lenco/PTP6 for idler supremacy...untill I find a nice grease bering Garrard 301, or can afford one of Win Tinnon's masterpieces. ;)

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Sorry, I'm not following you at all...I started this thread to document my journey of restoring a Thorens TD 124 and SME 3009 Series 2 tonearm that I got for free. I'm not sure the thread's topic has much to do with what you may be seeking.

But once you figure out what kind of help you need, you might consider starting a thread: the forum members here are a very friendly and supportive group.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Reactions: DiWil

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

I love this hobby...
Very nice story.

Reactions: DiWil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing