The necessity for absolute tt speed control

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I can't speak about other similar devices but the Road Runner is extremely accurate. I've checked the readings against a digital tach and it's spot on and with more resolution. They're in daily use with all the AS tables.

david
And also a great tool for setting speed, even if you don’t want to use constant feedback during playback. I normally start my compressor and let the TT spin during amplifier warmup time. That way the air system, belt and TT motor reaches a stable temperature before playback, finally i connect the controller with the Roadrunner dropping the needle( for proper needle drag) mid LP, let the RR set the speed at 33,333 rpm and disconnect it again. The speed during playback will consistently move from 33,330 rpm in the start of the record to 33.336 rpm in the end of the record with my SME 3012R arm, and less deviation with my LT arm.:) And no i have never claimed i am normal !:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
An update on my Studer A80 motor TT project:
The good news is that it should be no problem running it with the AS 2000 controller, it likes 110-115V 60Hz.The capacitors used in the Studer A80 machines are 8,0 but they only use 25W with that load. My special motor with the heavy flywheel seems to have a consumption closer to 35-37 W at 33,3 rpm and the 6,0 capacitor is probably better suited. It looks like shit in the wooden box i made, even ended up adding some extra holes for ventilation as the motor got to hot for my taste. That will all improve with a metal box, and the birds can have the wooden one to live in. It looks like a bird feeder now: Maybe is can attract some hummingbirds, that the only way i’m getting a Colibri this summer ;)

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sometimes helping people in WBF gets a reward! Looking for information for the Lagonda Studer A80 motor TT project I found a mint Papst AS2000 / AirForce Zero motor for sale. It was just delivered at my door this morning ... The damn thing is really big and turns smoothly!

m1.jpg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Sometimes helping people in WBF gets a reward! Looking for information for the Lagonda Studer A80 motor TT project I found a mint Papst AS2000 / AirForce Zero motor for sale. It was just delivered at my door this morning ... The damn thing is really big and turns smoothly!

View attachment 67281
Congratulations Francisco the Forsell is going to play bass and natural details at a whole new level :)

Reactions: microstrip

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Likely to pass on the Condor/SOTA motor upgrade for my tt. There are some issues with complexities of offset install in housing. And I remain unconvinced I want any DSP feedback loop from speed tach. My tt designer tried for over 12 months to finesse a feedback loop system that didn't deteriorate the sound, and he failed.

I'm likely to follow up tentative plans for an all-analog zero-feedback motor/speed controller, combined with an audiophile-quality...and silent...air compressor for my LT arm.

I've already spent in excess of £5k for Stacore Advanced and 50kg slate stand, and the same amount on three LPSs for my tt and Straingauge energiser.

A similar amount on bespoke motor that promises stable drift-free speed and highest quality air flow to my tonearm is totally in keeping.

Reactions: LMN

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A guy whom I've become friendly with in the US, and who runs my Salvation tt setup, has just installed a Condor/SOTA upgraded motor. He's gone ahead with a custom Delrin rim wheel to replicate what we currently both use.

Our stock motors are not the height of sophistication, with an easily measured speed fluctuation, especially linked to changes in ambient temperature and humidity.

The new Condor motor is nailing 33.33 +/- 0.01. And the SQ benefits are easily audible in primarily greater bass articulation/definition, more solid imaging, less noise and haze. Very few if any downsides, he is enquiring about those, more operational quibbles than SQ.

There seems to be a tad less euphonic colouration, meaning some material seems "smaller" and less exciting. But this is the exception rather than the rule.

And scope for even greater SQ uptick with move to dedicated LPS/fuse/power cord, and vibration isolation under the motor.

Reactions: edwyun

edwyun

Feb 27, 2019
I, and others, have experienced the same with the SOTA condor/roadrunner package on our VPIs. And previously with the Phoenx eagle/roadrunner package.

Reactions: Lagonda and Vienna

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Edwuyn, the dilemma/risk was adding this to a rim drive tt, and incorporating Roadrunner feedback where stock motor is designed to be 100% non feedback.

Reactions: Vienna

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Further feedback from my Condor/RR using mate...tonality and image stability rock solid and spot on.
He has a favourite track on LP with three female singers in a mini choir. Up to now, stock motor has had a tendency for the singers to waver in position and focus, no two days sounding alike. Tone variable too. He's now achieving a more predictable, replicable sound day on day, that is adding to the illusion of reality.
I suspect I may be a tad less sensitive to the "image lock" achieved, but should notice this more natural consistent tonality, as tone and timbre are the things I've come most to appreciate, and be sensitive to, as a combined result of my room/system optimisation comes together, and my greater exposure (pre-Covid) to live unamplified.

Reactions: Vienna

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just installed the SOTA Roadrunner tt speed tach. No go to start until goodfellow Lagonda here suggest I flip the magnet over.

Maybe I should be embarrassed, but it appears my tt is 1% inaccurate, varying 33.33 +/- 0.33. It's often around 33.25-33.40, but rises and drops further on occasion.

Interesting to see stylus drag in evidence.

Do I hear the sound come into clear focus when RR hits 33.32-33.34? No.

Do I perceive pitch issues at 33.00 or 33.66? No.

And thus, I'm no closer to an answer to the question posed in the title of this thread.

One riddle. An LP that normally sounds flat and uninviting (Free "Tons Of Sobs" 90s reissue), was pretty vital just now. Maybe the effort that I took to set speed via RR is being rewarded over my previous reliance on strobe. And so I've set a more accurate mean speed, fluctuations less of a perceivable issue for me personally.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Interesting, just finished playing some classical vinyl and speed started stopping drifting, 33.333 +/- 0.100, putting speed closer to 0.3% variation/drift.

From now on, I'm gonna run my tt motor for longer prior to playing vinyl, maybe start the day with cd. To see if a warmed up motor makes a practical difference.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Interesting, just finished playing some classical vinyl and speed started stopping drifting, 33.333 +/- 0.100, putting speed closer to 0.3% variation/drift.

From now on, I'm gonna run my tt motor for longer prior to playing vinyl, maybe start the day with cd. To see if a warmed up motor makes a practical difference.
Its not just the motor Marc, its also the bearing and rubber surfaces warming up. I start my TT at least an hour before playing time, together with my amps and preampso_O

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure.
It will be interesting to see if there is some pattern to ascertain here.
Early evidence suggests I'll be ordering the SOTA Condor/Eclipse.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And what was speed accuracy before Condor?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
After warmup, the Eagle/RR (and now Condor/RR) are stable well over a minute...

Is that with or without feedback ?

edwyun

Feb 27, 2019
Just ran these. This the SOTA condor motor with no feedback (e.g., RR disconnected) on my VPI Prime:

Attachments

• 20200823_175833.jpg
    20200823_175833.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda

edwyun

Feb 27, 2019
And this is the SOTA condor motor with feedback loop (e.g., RR connected) and is consistent with the prior 0.0492% reading which was also with feedback loop.

Attachments

• 20200823_175734.jpg
    20200823_175734.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting. Can you show the wow and flutter measurements in log scale? They are meaningless in linear scale.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Edwuyn, does Condor/Eclipse bring anything other than straight speed to proceedings? I mean, less noise/vibrations, advantages re torque?

I can't be sure, but even though I'm purely observing the speed of my current motor with newly installed RR, the fact I can be more accurate setting and adjusting speed seems already to be bringing advantages to the fore.

Greater bass certitude...rhythmic lines and bass harmonics becoming more assertive and unmistakable. Piano in particular has greater articulation. Critically, massed instruments are maintaining group density, but individual lines are easier to pick out.

This is the first time I'm genuinely convinced going to a new motor to nail speed accuracy and minimise drift is absolutely the right thing to do.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing