The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

I had received my order of the Pastoral and Bruckner 4 a few weeks ago from Acoustic Sounds. The pressings are defect free!

However, in regards to the Pastoral record there are times when I wish it also had more bass end energy. Although there is nice layers in the sound staging, the frequency response sounds tilted up to me.... not balanced. Needs more foundation, imho. Also, there are times when the strings sound somewhat strident. Almost like some DMM recordings can sound.

I will admit, that unfortunately I am currently suffering with a bad bout of Covid ( my first time ever with the Virus ) so I wonder if it is affecting my hearing to a degree?

P.S. To my ears, the Bruckner 4 sounds better to me, fwiw.

Best wishes,
Don
Don,

The Pastoral sounds fine on my system with vacuum tube phono stage and SET amps. Speakers are tube friendly.

Hope you are feeling better.

Randall

Reactions: No Regrets
I got notice that the Karajan Bruckner box set has set sail and is on its way. Should take a week or two to get to Issaquah.

The odd thing is that it can be ordered from DG for 300 euro plus shipping. The sellers in the US show this box set for $500 plus shipping.

Mine en route as well.

Mine en route too :)

Don,

The Pastoral sounds fine on my system with vacuum tube phono stage and SET amps. Speakers are tube friendly.

Hope you are feeling better.

Randall
Hi Randall,

Thank you for your well wishes! This illness has certainly been a scary journey for me. I am doing much better now. Dr's are still tweaking my med's but overall feeling much like back to normal.

I had intended to update my impressions about the Pastoral, but just hadn't gotten around to it. I think, as I had suspected earlier, that my severe illness was affecting how I was hearing the music and my ability to appreciate the recorded music. Music is now sounding much better to me and is much more enjoyable to me now, including the Pastoral piece. When I was at my worst, I didn't even have much of a desire to listen. I am so glad I am feeling better!

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: oldvinyl
The wife tells me a heavy box of no use to her has arrived.

Hi Randall,

Thank you for your well wishes! This illness has certainly been a scary journey for me. I am doing much better now. Dr's are still tweaking my med's but overall feeling much like back to normal.

I had intended to update my impressions about the Pastoral, but just hadn't gotten around to it. I think, as I had suspected earlier, that my severe illness was affecting how I was hearing the music and my ability to appreciate the recorded music. Music is now sounding much better to me and is much more enjoyable to me now, including the Pastoral piece. When I was at my worst, I didn't even have much of a desire to listen. I am so glad I am feeling better!

Best wishes,
Don
Good luck on all that.

Fantastically presented box. First LP, Symphony No.1...flat and noise free.
DG hit another one out of the park.
Really natural swell from quiet to loud, great delicacy and dynamics.
I had been pretty disappointed earlier today with a pricey remaster of another LP, so very glad this Bruckner is the opposite.

Hi Randall,

Best wishes,
Don
Glad you are feeling better and back in the land of the listening to music.

I did notice some passages in the Pastoral where the scoring is mostly violin doubled by flute and little for the cello/bass. Those passages were dense with high-frequency, but not strident sounding (in my system). The bass energy just sounded like a great concert hall, it was more diffuse at times, like what you would hear coming from the concert stage. Bass stings in those recordings sometimes have more sound of the stage floor sending out bass energy rather than the sound of a stringed bass instrument. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: No Regrets and tima
Glad you are feeling better and back in the land of the listening to music.
Thank you so much! It is great to be back :)

And yes, what you had said about the "balance" in some of the passages does make perfect sense to me. I think that in my case, it was the fact that I was so extremely ill that it affected my hearing and my ability to even enjoy listening to music.... it was almost an effort to try and listen when I was ill. It feels great to be able to listen and enjoy music as it was intended to be again.

Thanks again and best wishes to all,
Don

Fantastically presented box. First LP, Symphony No.1...flat and noise free.
DG hit another one out of the park.
Really natural swell from quiet to loud, great delicacy and dynamics.
I had been pretty disappointed earlier today with a pricey remaster of another LP, so very glad this Bruckner is the opposite.
Have been listening to the Bruckner symphonies. Started with 9, then 4, then 1, 2, 3. These reissues have enhanced my appreciation and enjoyment of both Bruckner and Karajan. These recordings convey more of the majestic sound and presence of the symphonic experience. Lots of depth, timbre, drama. Super quiet vinyl too.

• Love
Reactions: No Regrets and Tlay
On order from the 4. October batch: Chopin Preludes/Pollini and Grieg Peer Gynt/Berliner Karajan.

There's a rather long winded youtube video out where Tracking Angle, EBS and DG have a panel discussion about the Bruckner box. They've put in the rather nice EBS presentation so I recommend that:
The key takeaway from the long winded panel discussion was that this one is in the TOS pipeline. Another 8 track master I presume:
1724773932597.png

Last edited:
New DG original source October albums on Amazon US site for pre order

Reactions: tima and byrdparis
On order from the 4. October batch: Chopin Preludes/Pollini and Grieg Peer Gynt/Berliner Karajan.

There's a rather long winded youtube video out where Tracking Angle, EBS and DG have a panel discussion about the Bruckner box. They've put in the rather nice EBS presentation so I recommend that:
The key takeaway from the long winded panel discussion was that this one is in the TOS pipeline. Another 8 track master I presume:
View attachment 135471
that was very intresting, also the whole conversation, though it always feel a bit uncomfortable some how.
the Mahler 6 will be the bomb!

Reactions: tima and Kjetil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu