The new MSB Pro USB interface

Comments

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hello Pro USB users. I own the Select DAC and use the Renderer Version 2 with the Roon Nucleus Plus. Please convince me why I should invest in the Pro USB module, especially when the Roon volume control (On the IPad) doesn’t work with it.
You shouldn't :)

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
i think it's hard to make any definitive statements about how the MSB Pro USB works when we are talking about different servers. i can only say that with the SGM Extreme server it's not close at all. i got a very significant step up in realism, space and bass articulation with the Pro USB verses the Renderer v2. then when i removed the Renderer module from the MSB Select II that was another small step up (removing essentially a CPU from the dac box).

then replacing my Curious USB cable with the Gobel USB was a significant step up from there.

and then going fibre from the Extreme server to my Gigaswitch near my NAS was another step up.

is there a logistical reason you don't use the volume control in the MSB instead of the one on the i-pad. i would expect it to be a more transparent approach. not that the convenience of the i-pad is to be underrated.

call me and we can talk about it.
Mike,

With the Renderer, the volume control in Roon is tied to the hardware volume control in the MSB. So there's no loss.
It's different if you go through USB (any USB). In that case, you MUST disable Roon's volume control.

cheers,
alex

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

With the Renderer, the volume control in Roon is tied to the hardware volume control in the MSB. So there's no loss.
It's different if you go through USB (any USB). In that case, you MUST disable Roon's volume control.

cheers,
alex
i see. never knew that when i was using the Renderer.

thanks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Alex,

have you compared the two approaches (Renderer v2 and MSB Pro USB)?

the next obvious question is which servers have you tried this with?

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mike,

I did. With Innuos Statement, Roon Nucleus and the MemoryPlayer. In all three, the Renderer was better, not by an insignificant margin. BUT, we were using the SoTM switch hooked up to the MSB's clock output.

I will do another round of testing WITHOUT the SoTM in the loop.

cheers,
alex

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I did. With Innuos Statement, Roon Nucleus and the MemoryPlayer. In all three, the Renderer was better, not by an insignificant margin. BUT, we were using the SoTM switch hooked up to the MSB's clock output.

I will do another round of testing WITHOUT the SoTM in the loop.

cheers,
alex
thanks Alex.

to begin with the new Extreme server was much better than the previous SGM 2015 server....this was a huge step up.

from what i understand, the SGM Extreme has some sort of USB optimization that gives it an advantage over the Renderer, and that advantage is pushed higher by the MSB Pro USB.

i compared both approaches with my modestly priced USB and the USB was slightly better....although they were close. then i added the MSB Pro USB and the difference was considerable.....in favor of the USB approach.

so many variables there are not absolutes.....only context.

asiufy

Member Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Indeed, Mike! Context is everything. That's why I think the SoTM Is doing quite a bit to lift the performance of the network side, on my end. And I'm not doing any of the fancy fiber stuff (yet).
Over USB, there's a big difference if you use Roon vs Roon + the squeezelite player. There's a huge thread on the Roon support forum, with people clamoring for them to implement some form of memory buffering/playback (like those external players do).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing