The new MSB Pro USB interface

Hello Pro USB users. I own the Select DAC and use the Renderer Version 2 with the Roon Nucleus Plus. Please convince me why I should invest in the Pro USB module, especially when the Roon volume control (On the IPad) doesn’t work with it.

You shouldn't :)

i think it's hard to make any definitive statements about how the MSB Pro USB works when we are talking about different servers. i can only say that with the SGM Extreme server it's not close at all. i got a very significant step up in realism, space and bass articulation with the Pro USB verses the Renderer v2. then when i removed the Renderer module from the MSB Select II that was another small step up (removing essentially a CPU from the dac box).

then replacing my Curious USB cable with the Gobel USB was a significant step up from there.

and then going fibre from the Extreme server to my Gigaswitch near my NAS was another step up.

is there a logistical reason you don't use the volume control in the MSB instead of the one on the i-pad. i would expect it to be a more transparent approach. not that the convenience of the i-pad is to be underrated.

call me and we can talk about it.

Mike,

With the Renderer, the volume control in Roon is tied to the hardware volume control in the MSB. So there's no loss.
It's different if you go through USB (any USB). In that case, you MUST disable Roon's volume control.

cheers,
alex

Mike,

With the Renderer, the volume control in Roon is tied to the hardware volume control in the MSB. So there's no loss.
It's different if you go through USB (any USB). In that case, you MUST disable Roon's volume control.

cheers,
alex

i see. never knew that when i was using the Renderer.

thanks.

Mike,

I did. With Innuos Statement, Roon Nucleus and the MemoryPlayer. In all three, the Renderer was better, not by an insignificant margin. BUT, we were using the SoTM switch hooked up to the MSB's clock output.

I will do another round of testing WITHOUT the SoTM in the loop.

cheers,
alex

Mike,

I did. With Innuos Statement, Roon Nucleus and the MemoryPlayer. In all three, the Renderer was better, not by an insignificant margin. BUT, we were using the SoTM switch hooked up to the MSB's clock output.

I will do another round of testing WITHOUT the SoTM in the loop.

cheers,
alex

thanks Alex.

to begin with the new Extreme server was much better than the previous SGM 2015 server....this was a huge step up.

from what i understand, the SGM Extreme has some sort of USB optimization that gives it an advantage over the Renderer, and that advantage is pushed higher by the MSB Pro USB.

i compared both approaches with my modestly priced USB and the USB was slightly better....although they were close. then i added the MSB Pro USB and the difference was considerable.....in favor of the USB approach.

so many variables there are not absolutes.....only context.

Indeed, Mike! Context is everything. That's why I think the SoTM Is doing quite a bit to lift the performance of the network side, on my end. And I'm not doing any of the fancy fiber stuff (yet).
Over USB, there's a big difference if you use Roon vs Roon + the squeezelite player. There's a huge thread on the Roon support forum, with people clamoring for them to implement some form of memory buffering/playback (like those external players do).

Hi Alex,

Do you still stand by your assertion that the MSB network renderer v2 with a SoTM switch trumps the sound quality of an audiophile music server (such as the Extreme or N30A)+ProUSB? I imagine over the last couple of years you’ve had an opportunity to crystallize your conclusion on this.

For those using the ProUSB, have you found that any generic Corning fiber cable that meets MSB’s requirements is sufficient? If I proceed down the ProUSB path (I’m using the renderer now), I’ll likely remote my audiophile server in a different room that will require a 15-20 meter fiber cable to reach my MSB Select.

Thanks,
Battles

Reactions: veloaudio
Hi Alex,

Do you still stand by your assertion that the MSB network renderer v2 with a SoTM switch trumps the sound quality of an audiophile music server (such as the Extreme or N30A)+ProUSB? I imagine over the last couple of years you’ve had an opportunity to crystallize your conclusion on this.

For those using the ProUSB, have you found that any generic Corning fiber cable that meets MSB’s requirements is sufficient? If I proceed down the ProUSB path (I’m using the renderer now), I’ll likely remote my audiophile server in a different room that will require a 15-20 meter fiber cable to reach my MSB Select.

Thanks,
Battles
I have and use, various fiber cables. Two from MSB, 1 and 10 meters, a generic 10 meters one which is actually a multimode one, orange, a 20 meter generic and thinner section, and all sound the same to my ears with Pro USB. I will try it, without USB cable, using a USB A - B adapter. Lets see how it will sound.

I have and use, various fiber cables. Two from MSB, 1 and 10 meters, a generic 10 meters one which is actually a multimode one, orange, a 20 meter generic and thinner section, and all sound the same to my ears with Pro USB. I will try it, without USB cable, using a USB A - B adapter. Lets see how it will sound.
I bought a USA A-B adapter to try but so far I'm only using a Valhalla2 USB cable ... looking forward to hearing your results!

I bought a USA A-B adapter to try but so far I'm only using a Valhalla2 USB cable ... looking forward to hearing your results!
Better with USB cable here, and I don’t have one as good as yours. Only a CAD I. It seems that the cable plays a role in terms of isolating vibrations. With the adapter maybe the connection gets to stiff. Just a guess. Which are your findings?

Gds & Armsan,

Very interesting approach to eliminate the use of a USB cable all together. It certainly seems like “less cable should be more” but then again had that unequivocally been the case I surmise MSB would have designed the ProUSB module with a male connector to plug directly into an audiophile server’s USB output? Just wondering if other MSB Select owners on the forum have also experimented with using a USB adapter with the ProUSB to eliminate the need of an expensive USB cable in the signal path? Would be grateful for your feedback before I spend $s on a pricey USB cable.

Thanks,
Blake

Reactions: Armsan
Hi Armsan! I am a Discrete DAC user and keen to try out the Pro USB solution.

You mentioned that you used a multimode fiber cable to use with the Pro USB. I thought the Pro USB only supports singlemode fiber cables with LC connectors? Can you confirm if indeed the cable you use is multimode LC and if yes, what brand and where did you purchase it? I would like to get one too for my home use.

Thanks!

ShawnF

Hi Armsan! I am a Discrete DAC user and keen to try out the Pro USB solution.

You mentioned that you used a multimode fiber cable to use with the Pro USB. I thought the Pro USB only supports singlemode fiber cables with LC connectors? Can you confirm if indeed the cable you use is multimode LC and if yes, what brand and where did you purchase it? I would like to get one too for my home use.

Thanks!

ShawnF
Hello ShawnF,
Yes, my 10m orange fiber cable 50/125 multimode LC/LC OM2, from Lindy, works perfectly with the Pro USB, without any SQ diference from the yellow 9/125 single mode supplied by MSB. Note that I’m not defending the use of the multimode over the single mode. Just saying it works with both. Actually I use, permanently the multimode one with my Reference Transport and a second ISL module.
And yes, you should do the move to the Pro USB with closed eyes , and then you will listen that the USB cable will loose its importance, as long it is a decent one, of course.
Happy new year!

Hello ShawnF,
Yes, my 10m orange fiber cable 50/125 multimode LC/LC OM2, from Lindy, works perfectly with the Pro USB, without any SQ diference from the yellow 9/125 single mode supplied by MSB. Note that I’m not defending the use of the multimode over the single mode. Just saying it works with both. Actually I use, permanently the multimode one with my Reference Transport and a second ISL module.
And yes, you should do the move to the Pro USB with closed eyes , and then you will listen that the USB cable will loose its importance, as long it is a decent one, of course.
Happy new year!
Happy new year to you too!

Sounds promising. I’m working to get a demo unit from a local dealer to test with my DAC. Will share if it works!

Cheers!

Ciao ShawnF,
Sì, il mio cavo in fibra arancione 50/125 multimodale LC/LC OM2 da 10 m di Lindy, funziona perfettamente con Pro USB, senza alcuna differenza SQ dalla modalità singola gialla 9/125 fornita da MSB. Nota che non sto difendendo l'uso del multimode rispetto al single mode. Dico solo che funziona con entrambi. Attualmente uso, stabilmente quello multimodale con il mio Reference Transport e un secondo modulo ISL.
E sì, dovresti fare il passaggio alla Pro USB ad occhi chiusi, e poi ascolterai che il cavo USB perderà la sua importanza, purché sia decente, ovviamente.
Buon anno!
hi, that is, what usb cables have you tried, if I may ask.

hi, that is, what usb cables have you tried, if I may ask.
Ciao,
Not very expensive ones but, good enough for the job, I think:
Siltech Legend, CAD USB I, Audience Au24 SE and VDH Ultimate.
I ended up with the CAD. Again, it was very difficult, for me, to perceive differences between them except for the VDH, which is, IMHO, a few notches down.

Downsides are few but include the need to correctly configure your software to ensure the Pro USB receives bit perfect data from the server.

Hello

I am a very happy new owner of a MSB Premier with Renderer Module.

I have 4 questions for @DMSB

1/
I understand that for firmware updates, bit perfect playing is mandatory to extract the embedded information from the wave file.
But, for ProUSB/ProISL, why bit perfect data is required?

I have a fully acoustically treated room, I had speakers and room extensively measured to setup a tiny equalization for bass (with Roon). So, what Roon sends is not "bit perfect". How the ProUSB/ProISL can "know" that the track has been modified by the server?

2/
I am using media converters, a Sonore for the the one directly connected to the Renderer, to add some isolation from Network . This has an audible impact... I was a little disappointed in fact, that even on MSB, this kind of isolation was needed.

I know that it may be impossible to answer my question, but I am wondering "how better" may be the ProUSB/ProISL in comparison with my "isolated" Renderer, even if I know that the Renderer itself is source of noise. I will try to have a ProUSB/ProISL on loan.

3/
With ProUSB/ProISL, is it the end of server optimization for USB?

With my media converters, I use a Mac mini as the Roon server on Ethernet, and 0 optimization is needed on the server side, only optimization of the last electrical equipment connected to the Renderer and optically isolated (I have used several DAC with included Renderers, last one before MSB was Esoteric N05XD).

If I go back to USB output with ProUSB/ProUSL, keeping my Mac mini as a Network server (sitting in another Room) I may use some Network renderer as Holo RED or even a Raspberry. As I do not want to move my Mac to my Audio Room , I will also have the possibility to have a long fiber from my MAC+ProUSB to the Audio Room.

What are your feelings about all this?

4/
Last question: I saw that Windows and OSX were supported, OSX, natively. Is the USB Chipset you are using confidential? Just to know if it is supported by Linux/Alsa that is, in my opinion, the best OS to use for USB Audio.

Best and kind regards
Thierry

Hello Pro USB users. I own the Select DAC and use the Renderer Version 2 with the Roon Nucleus Plus. Please convince me why I should invest in the Pro USB module, especially when the Roon volume control (On the IPad) doesn’t work with it.
I own both the Renderer module and the Pro USB, the Pro USB sounds a lot better. Cleaner and more dynamic, provided you have the right USB cable to your taste. The Renderer has computer components in it that increases noise. I do not even leave the Renderer module plugged into my DAC even though I'm not using it.

Reactions: Armsan and matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing