The Noob Linearity factor

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Long story short being an audiophile means somebody has aquired an audio system.to listen to in his spare time .
What the topicstarter here is describing is collecting records and visiting musical events which is something completely different

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Long story short being an audiophile means somebody has aquired an audio system.to listen to in his spare time .
What the topicstarter here is describing is collecting records and visiting musical events which is something completely different

That was not in topic starter at all.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
on cmon Tom, you have been banned from forums for that behaviour :). You have a trail of fights on U.K. forums with people who disagree with you. And if it is taking you three months, something is wrong with your auditioning

I've only ever been banned once from any forum. And that was for supporting, in the wake of a whole bunch of anti-Semitic bile following the loss by a hard Left-controlled British Labour Party of the 2019 UK General Election, a long-time hifi acquaintance, who happened to be Jewish, who said he was out of that forum because of this sequence of posts. The forum owner was one of the ringleaders. He has since disappeared and no-one knows how to contact him. I'm not Jewish myself, but I was banned after more than 10 years as a poster for that very small act of solidarity - something I am far from being embarrased about. Astonishing that such a thing should happen, in Britain, in 2019, but there you are.

But since you insist on digging into this Kedar, let me tell you specifically what I object to.

I object to your 30 second snippet method. Which (since you brought it up) was the reason you missed out completely on the wonderful musicality of the Miyajima Madake - absolutely impossible appreciate using your method. I still hold it to be a wonderful cartridge ... I only sold because my decision to go for the Allnic HA5000 head amp meant selling any LOMC with output below 0.3mV, as there's too much hiss at levels below that - my Ikeda 9TT went too, as did my Fidelity Research FR7f, SPU Century and Audio Note Io2 - all great cartridges, but too low output if used a with valve head amp rather than a passive step-up transformer.

What hacked me off most though wasn't your criticism of the Madake - as discussed, made on very shallow grounds, entirely attributable to your nonsensical evaluation method - but your rudeness in a post shortly afterwards, having visited my house, ate my food and jumped around doing your snippets thing on records that included pressings so scratched up I would have thrown them in the bin. (I would suggest anyone who lets Ked visit have their cartridges checked for damage on his departure).

This rudeness is something others who have experienced visits from you have encountered. This combination - of rudeness and summary jumping to conclusions without any proper attempt to really hear what others hear in a component - what I described in an earlier post as the actions of a dillettante, someone fundamentally unserious, more interested in posing than understanding - is why your reputation preceedes you. Some people won't even let you in the door. Still others won't let you in the door twice.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've only ever been banned once from any forum. And that was for supporting, in the wake of a whole bunch of anti-Semitic bile following the loss by a hard Left-controlled British Labour Party of the 2019 UK General Election, a long-time hifi acquaintance, who happened to be Jewish, who said he was out of that forum because of this sequence of posts. The forum owner was one of the ringleaders. He has since disappeared and no-one knows how to contact him. I'm not Jewish myself, but I was banned after more than 10 years as a poster for that very small act of solidarity - something I am far from being embarrased about. Astonishing that such a thing should happen, in Britain, in 2019, but there you are.

But since you insist on digging into this Kedar, let me tell you specifically what I object to.

I object to your 30 second snippet method. Which (since you brought it up) was the reason you missed out completely on the wonderful musicality of the Miyajima Madake - absolutely impossible appreciate using your method. I still hold it to be a wonderful cartridge ... I only sold because my decision to go for the Allnic HA5000 head amp meant selling any LOMC with output below 0.3mV, as there's too much hiss at levels below that - my Ikeda 9TT went too, as did my Fidelity Research FR7f, SPU Century and Audio Note Io2 - all great cartridges, but too low output if used a with valve head amp rather than a passive step-up transformer.

What hacked me off most though wasn't your criticism of the Madake - as discussed, made on very shallow grounds, entirely attributable to your nonsensical evaluation method - but your rudeness in a post shortly afterwards, having visited my house, ate my food and jumped around doing your snippets thing on records that included pressings so scratched up I would have thrown them in the bin. (I would suggest anyone who lets Ked visit have their cartridges checked for damage on his departure).

This rudeness is something others who have experienced visits from you have encountered. This combination - of rudeness and summary jumping to conclusions without any proper attempt to really hear what others hear in a component - what I described in an earlier post as the actions of a dillettante, someone fundamentally unserious, more interested in posing than understanding - is why your reputation preceedes you. Some people won't even let you in the door. Still others won't let you in the door twice.

Of all your cartridges, I did not like one cart. And it was only then that you got angry. Till then, you did not. In fact, you allowed me multiple visits till the disagreement on madake, and I had disliked madake before I heard it at yours. At your place, you only confirmed to me what I heard about madake before. I had called it muddyke before I heard it at yours, and never understood its appeal, being beaten handily by your SPUs which were much cheaper. Anyway, this is what I mean. You are like a ticking time bomb with a disgreement. Thanks for blowing up to prove it.

Don't forget, at that time my vinyl cleaner was at your place, because I had sent you the audiodesk for compare to the DeGritter. .

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I object to your 30 second snippet method.

That method indeed seems to be taking place, as it is corroborated by the reports of others.

I would object to that as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That method indeed seems to be taking place, as it is corroborated by the reports of others.

I would object to that as well.

Because you are unable to do it? Or on results? The no. of people who converted to Lampi 242 which I wrote about after snippets in 2015, or Vyger, or Dava (all started by others, just confirmed with snippets), or Tom himself who disagrees with my style but where we have a 1:1 agreement except on where I do not like what he owns? Or the vdh stradivarius that I first started on in 2017? I could go on on snippet confirmation that have been confirmed by owners.t

You play a catridge on violin, madake rolls off big time. It muddies multiple instruments. It does ok on piano but lower priced SPU does it better. Repeats on every track, not just one. You can play multiple snippets to check repeat patterns. If it keeps repeating, you do not need extended listening. Extended listening is required for close calls, in which case if conclusion is not definite there is no real answer as it is set up dependent. If Patterns repeat on multiple set ups, you can confirm.

You can corroborate anything from people I visited whom I upset because I did not think their systems were as heavenly as they did. And that already tells me where you corroborated it from. Easy to follow the map.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
30 second snippets sounds like what people do tapping glass with a server. It is certainly not the typical behavior of someone into vinyl records. That sounds like very odd behavior.

Funny that I have videos much longer than that, and videos are a snippet of what I actually heard in person, which is obviously longer.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Funny that I have videos much longer than that, and videos are a snippet of what I actually heard in person, which is obviously longer.

That makes sense. Yes, I watched your videos. In my experience, vinyl people generally listen to entire sides or albums. Put an iPad in front of them and they jump from one 30 second snippet to another.

so are you saying you do not bounce around with the cartridge listening to short segments of records? That would make me much more comfortable as a host.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That makes sense. Yes, I watched your videos. In my experience, vinyl people generally listen to entire sides or albums. Put an iPad in front of them and they jump from one 30 second snippet to another.

so are you saying you do not bounce around with the cartridge listening to short segments of records? That would make me much more comfortable as a host.

Of course I do short segments. I do short segments, to see if anything is even worth listening. If it is awful, I try to find a way to chat to stay for a while without being impolite. Some things are black and white. Then, when it starts sounding good, or with the combo (s) I like, I start listening more. Toughest is when I have zero interest after 15 minutes but need to listen to not be rude.

Also, my visit starts with me excited all over the place when someone has multiple things to investigate, and then I slowly settle down. If there is just the system to listen to, and not multiple things, it is longer listening if I like the system.

Why do you think I spent 4 days at Tang, listening 6 hours a day, taking notes, with many recordss? When I first went to Anamighty it was two days, with a break between the two days to reset. Same when I did multiple phono compares. At Mike's it was 3 long days, then a break, so that he could adjust carts, then another day. I played classical, jazz, rock, he played his.

Then, it starts getting longer and longer. Therefore some tracks are long, some not. Systems I like, I repeat visit. Components I want to check out, I follow for a while. Vyger for example across 10+ systems over years. I never wrote majorly about it till I extracted many of the things I heard at general's back again at Audioquattr's after 3 years. I almost never comment on only a once heard product and definitely never from shows. Even components I don't like I get to hear multiple times. So it amuses me when Al corroborates from someone whom I did not please that I heard 30 second smippets and jumped to a conclusion. When I heard Tom's Tannoy, I listened to many Tannoys. All his SPus, Madakes, I already knew. Tom knows this. So he is being completely intellectually dishonest to point out I used only his system 30 sec snippets for Madake decision. There was nothing there that was new in his carts, or sounding different to other experiences. The SPU was better than the Muddyke every track. You need to be deaf to need a longer passage to hear this, not to mention 1 or 2 sides is not enough data point. It needs to be across more types of records.

I recently had a visit where I started, warmed up, and was getting ready for another 4 hours when the rest of the guys had to leave. I had no idea we were cutting it short. Totally screwed up planning. rarely happens though.

Al will win the armchair commentator prize.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm not even worthy of a Ked visit. He was too busy. And I only have 1 cartridge. How disappointing a host I would be.

• Haha
Reactions: marty and Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm not even worthy of a Ked visit. He was too busy. And I only have 1 cartridge. How disappointing a host I would be.

Sorry I had no idea you were in Seattle before I reached. I take leaves from work so obviously have to plan around that. You can understand what noise about idler, direct, and belt and linear tracking must have been going on in my mind till I visited Mike.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Stravinsky is all about dynamic contrast...there is as much low level stuff in Stravinsky as tutti. A good Stravinsky recording can have some of the widest dynamic range of any recording....not sure what your issue is.

Stravinsky is as much about rhythmic hi-jinks as dynamic contrast.

Reactions: Lee

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Stravinsky is as much about rhythmic hi-jinks as dynamic contrast.
Maybe but so what? It doesn’t invalidate my comments about dynamic range.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry I had no idea you were in Seattle before I reached. I take leaves from work so obviously have to plan around that. You can understand what noise about idler, direct, and belt and linear tracking must have been going on in my mind till I visited Mike.
My system has evolved since then. Or shall I say, is in the process of evolving and will take a large step forward. More worthy of a visit in the future. I still only have 1 cart. 1 TT.
I can play a PAP Trio 15 Coax and the Horn.
I can swap a Torus isolation transformer in and out of the system to compare. Its worth hearing the difference.
I am working on quick swapping my Benjamin panelboard for my SqD NQ panelboard.
With a little more work I can compare Solid and Stranded 10 AWG wire on the fly.
Its all good stuff to know before you power a high end horn system. DDK liked stranded wire. Last I tried it was fat and thick. Something a horn guy might like to do to tame a potentially HOT system.

Down in Devon

Mar 27, 2020
Sorry but I find this in poor taste.
Let's call it what it is, name calling, and I would suggest misjudged.

I believe the content Kedar was referring to is probably something we would all recognise, how we develop our systems/taste over time and is an interesting point of discussion.

Reactions: bonzo75

108CY

May 4, 2013
For me it is just a hobby and fun yes I do have to earn a living and have heavily invested in it but when we start hurting others over silly things such as hifi it becomes pointless. I was in hospital for 3 months seeing death head on any miniute anyone can die and thats a simple real fact it all puts it into perspective.

I am no better I have got worked up in the past too about the hobby and may still do as I am only human and conditioned as are the wonderful souls here.

The only time I have met ked was at a food festival and it was nice as we never talked hifi and could see him as a very kind individual and very intelligent it was great to meet him, hifi and other other hobbies bring our passion and sometimes we upset others.

I can see why many great contributors have decided to step back as they just do not want to get involved in petty things we all have enough trouble but surviving day to day if were a little more gentle and understanding the forum would be even greater.

End of the day we all have driven ourself potty with the hobby and the investments huge no one needs audio but have quite often chosen to sacrifice other things, I respect everyones choice if someone asks me privately I can share my experiences and am happy to do so, I do not have the energy I once did due to onging health issues.

Writing in public and insulting others and thinking myself as a higher authority even though I have invested millions in the hobby I just will not and I have many opinions lol but who cares.

I actually value people relationships and their feelings much higher than any bit of Hifi and who am I, in any case by hurting others we often cause more harm to ourselves. Ultimately the hobby will be here when we are dead and gone at least we can be kind and understanding as of now. I sit on the fence deciding not to get involved in squabbles that have no meaning as I am spending more time these days on things that truly matter and this involves being kind to others.

The hobby is about having fun and we all like different things and we have so much to choose from yes mistakes may be made but so much is learnt from it I too have made many but on a higher level not much matters. I beg for forgiveness for any offences I have caused.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For me it is just a hobby and fun yes I do have to earn a living and have heavily invested in it but when we start hurting others over silly things such as hifi it becomes pointless. I was in hospital for 3 months seeing death head on any miniute anyone can die and thats a simple real fact it all puts it into perspective. I am no better I have got worked up in the past too about the hobby and may still do as I am only human as are the wonderful souls here.

End of the day we all have driven ourself potty with the hobby, I respect everyones choice if someone asks me privately I can share my experiences and am happy to do so, I do not have the energy I once did due I onging health issues. Writing in public and insulting others and thinking myself as a higher authority even though I have invested millions in the hobby I wont. I actually value people and their feelings much higher than and bit of Hifi and who am I in any case. Ultimately the hobby will be here when we are dead and gone at least we can be kind and understanding as of now I sit on the fence deciding not to get involved in squabbles that have no meaning as I am spending more time these days on things that truly matter and this involves being kind to others. The hobby is about having fun and we all like different things and we have so much to choose from yes mistakes may be made but so much is learnt from it I too have made many but on a higher level not much matters. I beg for forgiveness for any offences i caused.

No, I love your post. Thank you for putting it all into perspective. I guess our egos, including mine, often get in the way of life.

Reactions: 108CY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing