The Sound of Shimmer

Nonsense. This fear has less legitimacy than anti-vaccination concerns. Any speaker designer knows exactly what it does to the response, and anyone that knows anything about how electricity works can tell this is no more a "problem" than a single order capacitor in any given speaker.

What doesn't make sense is listening to a stereo with a huge resonances in the tweeter region because it's migraine, teeth grinding, aneurysm inducing painful to listen to.

Totally disagree but with a qualification. If the notch filter is used as part of the engineering solution when the total crossover taken into account, this should not be an issue. John Dunleavy was perhaps to do this with his crossover using multiple driver speakers with some using a notch filter and nobody would dispute his excellent engineering/crossover design. (I still have the original schematic for the Dunlavy 5 because it is a masterpiece). However, the notch filters had to be spot on precise and he tuned each one by hand on the bench because the tightness required was well under the variability of most of the components he used, even at 1%. I saw how John did this in person on his bench and it was ingenious, even after he had a few drinks at dinner (uh, OK, more than a few...). More importantly it was compensated for as part of his overall crossover design. The original Acoustat electrostats did something very similar, but again, it was part of the overall design. My read of this filter as suggested in post #9 however assumes that the notch filter could be used by a consumer as an after-market modification. (The instructions state "for optimal performance...it is recommended that a notch filter be installed"). This sound like an after-market recommendation to me. And on that issue I stand firm. It will alter the crossover unequivocally. BTW, the line array tweeters in my Pipedreams many years ago also had a pretty nasty 6K resonance that was never addressed properly in the crossover circuitry. i chose to eliminate it with a much easier solution, DSP (however as we all know, every engineering solution has trade-offs, including DSP.)

I did however get a big laugh out of the anti-vaccination comment.

Ok so you don’t disagree with what I’m saying, you disagree with agreeing with me......... wtf.

You described engineering a crossover, why would someone not do that?

I just posted this BG correction notch as a reference to what is a well known, documented, problem - cavity resonances (even though some of the astute gentlemen’s on this site never heard of it).
Also, you can never entirely correct for these issues electrically (at the XO). And that is the lovely sound of “shimmer” ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing