The Tres Amigos Ride Again-An Ongoing Saga----The Tres are Now Quattro Amigos

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Paul Heath Audio, Rochester, NY....one of the pioneer high end dealers. I'm pretty sure it was Marty

Yes, it was me. I worked there part time while in college at Univ Rochester. I banked hours and bought audio gear at accommodation in return, which is how I bought my first ARC SP3a, D76a's and Magneplanar 1U's. But that wasn't the best part of working in the store on State street across from Kodak HQ. Rather, it was watching Paul stand by the door of his shop every day at 5 pm to watch the secretaries exit the building. And guess what. I didn't mind it either:eek:. Paul was a good and thoughtful mentor and I will always be indebted to him for my early audio education.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, it was me. I worked there part time while in college at Univ Rochester. I banked hours and bought audio gear at accommodation in return, which is how I bought my first ARC SP3a, D76a's and Magneplanar 1U's. But that wasn't the best part of working in the store on State street across from Kodak HQ. Rather, it was watching Paul stand by the door of his shop every day at 5 pm to watch the secretaries exit the building. And guess what. I didn't mind it either:eek:. Paul was a good and thoughtful mentor and I will always be indebted to him for my early audio education.
Marty

it wouldn’t surprise me if you and Kingsrule crossed paths in that store back in those days.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just watched the Pavarotti Documentary by Ron Howard on the plane. Definitely worth watching.
One of the best documentaries I’ve seen this year

and done by Ron Howard

Reactions: howiebrou

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm surprised to see that @marty transitioned from mostly tubes to all Soulution SS these days. Perhaps he can comment on that further...

Not so much surprising considering he owned the VTL 7.5 mk3 before - IMHO it is the most "solid state" like of the tube preamplfiers I have hosted. I would also appreciate to read Mary comments on the change.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm surprised to see that @marty transitioned from mostly tubes to all Soulution SS these days. Perhaps he can comment on that further...

Keith, I haven't been "mostly tubes" for many years since my ARC days and even when I had Siegfrieds, my VTL 7.5 III hybrid preamp had Mosfet outputs to drive my long interconnects. I then had Spectral 400 monobloc amps for many years used in conjunction with the VTL preamp (even though this was supposedly audio anathema) so again, it was a hybrid based system. I always enjoyed the benefit of high power amplification and I guess I just got tired of figuring out what to do when I had a microphonic somewhere in a battery of 12 or more output tubes, combined with the obvious limited life and constant decline of KT88's and the like. I wound up with the Soulution combo because of its sonic properties which I'd characterize as triode-like with the balls of Godzilla. But as I mentioned, although something was gained, something was also lost when I went from the VTL preamp to the Soulution 725 while using my beloved ASR phono. The Zanden phono however, provided the magic that was missing and so all is well with my sonic world once again. Although I love my Meitner DA-2, I find I have the same issue on the digital side- it's simply too much SS and the system misses some of the tube magic that was provided by the VTL 7.5 III preamp. Hence I have a Lampi on order and am looking to see what all the fuss is about while hoping for the benefits of a pairing not unlike what I've done on the phono side. We shall see, although I do wish that Kazutoshi Yamada at Zanden made a DSD 256/512 DAC. Now that would be something I would explore in a heartbeat.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Zanden phono must be a great phono for the 725. Usually the Soulution products have a very low input impedence, the 725 is 2k for xlr but 47k for rca.

Marty do you have the phono option for the 725? Valin really liked it in his review.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hence I have a Lampi on order and am looking to see what all the fuss is about while hoping for the benefits of a pairing not unlike what I've done on the phono side.
Congrats, Marty.
I hope you like your GG :cool:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Zanden phono must be a great phono for the 725. Usually the Soulution products have a very low input impedance, the 725 is 2k for xlr but 47k for rca. Marty do you have the phono option for the 725? Valin really liked it in his review.

I do have the built-in phono on the 725. but honestly, I preferred the ASR Basis Exclusive HV by far. I have always said the ASR phono (I have owned 3 of them over the past 15? years or so) was the best audio product I have ever owned, period. I say that because it was never the weakest link in my system for all the time I owned them, and that's a useful metric of sorts for what "best" means to me. Sadly, it just wasn't the right pairing with the Soulution 725. The ASR is one of audio's "Rodney Dangerfield" products. It just doesn't get any respect. This is in large part due the fact that they have essentially no dealer network to speak of, and they have been through a few importer/distributors over the years who failed to market the line successfully, Harry Pearson put them on the map well over a decade ago by putting it in the top tier of phono stages he's heard, but have you heard anyone talk or write about their most recent products recently? I haven't and that's too bad. I'd put it up against any SS phono stage at any price. Even better, at it's current price, it's an outright steal. I'm sure that the separate Soulution 755 is as good or better (at >5X the price), but I found that the ASR was truly preferred to the internal phono of the Soulution 725. If I were using a tube preamp, it would certainly be on my short list for phono stages to consider.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Amigo Steve,

Thanks for sharing some comments and picts of my new system, which is still undergoing self-adjustment, as well as sorting out some other issues like a MasterBuilt USB that does not like being driven by an Innuos Zenith SE server going into a MSB Reference DAC.

I want to accumulate some more listening time just getting used to my new living room A.K.A. my listening room, before offering specific comments and responses.

Speakers-Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 9's connected to a VAC Statement 450iQ Stereo via MasterBuilt Ultra Bi-Wire speaker wire and driven by MasterBuilt Ultra XLR IC's with Bocchino Platinum connectors and a MasterBuilt Ultra PC and both the VAC amp and its power supply sitting on 1.5 inch Center Stage Footers. The equipment in the rack is a VAC Master Preamp powered by a MasterBuilt Ultra PC sitting on 1.0 Center Stage Footers and connected to the VAC Renaissance Deluxe Phono Stage via MasterBuilt Ultra IC with Bocchino connectors and 1.0 Center Stage footers. An MSB Reference DAC with 77 Fempto clock connected to the VAC Preamp via Masterbuilt Ultra IC and driven by a MasterBuilt Ultra PC sitting on 1.0 Center Stage footers. An Innuos Zenith SE is feeding the MSB with both a MasterBuilt Ultra USB with some as yet undiagnosed throughput issues through the proUSB and ISL modules, as well as through the MSB renderer and of course powered by MasterBuilt PC and sitting on 1.0 Center Stage Footers

The Analog end is a Bergmann Galder TT with a Bergmann Odin air bearing straight tracker, holding a ZYX Optimum Cartridge. They are sitting on a Vibraplane which is sitting on a 700 pound marble isolation table. It is connected to the VAC phono stage via Masterbuilt Ultra IC and Boochino platinum connectors.

To insure optimal bass beyond the Ultra 9's prodigious bass response are two JL F113 powered subwoofers in each of the rear corners of the room, set to extremely low levels for correct fill.

To insure optimal TV capabilities is a LG 77" OLED screen between to 9's to help make the Ultra 9's look more appropriate and to scale.

More to follow after Capital AudioFest next weekend for the debut of the Endeavor Special Edition and Ultra 55 VSA speakers.

Jack, welcome to the band of Audio Amigos

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Amigo Steve,

Thanks for sharing some comments and picts of my new system, which is still undergoing self-adjustment, as well as sorting out some other issues like a MasterBuilt USB that does not like being driven by an Innuos Zenith SE server going into a MSB Reference DAC.

I want to accumulate some more listening time just getting used to my new living room A.K.A. my listening room, before offering specific comments and responses.

Speakers-Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 9's connected to a VAC Statement 450iQ Stereo via MasterBuilt Ultra Bi-Wire speaker wire and driven by MasterBuilt Ultra XLR IC's with Bocchino Platinum connectors and a MasterBuilt Ultra PC and both the VAC amp and its power supply sitting on 1.5 inch Center Stage Footers. The equipment in the rack is a VAC Master Preamp powered by a MasterBuilt Ultra PC sitting on 1.0 Center Stage Footers and connected to the VAC Renaissance Deluxe Phono Stage via MasterBuilt Ultra IC with Bocchino connectors and 1.0 Center Stage footers. An MSB Reference DAC with 77 Fempto clock connected to the VAC Preamp via Masterbuilt Ultra IC and driven by a MasterBuilt Ultra PC sitting on 1.0 Center Stage footers. An Innuos Zenith SE is feeding the MSB with both a MasterBuilt Ultra USB with some as yet undiagnosed throughput issues through the proUSB and ISL modules, as well as through the MSB renderer and of course powered by MasterBuilt PC and sitting on 1.0 Center Stage Footers

The Analog end is a Bergmann Galder TT with a Bergmann Odin air bearing straight tracker, holding a ZYX Optimum Cartridge. They are sitting on a Vibraplane which is sitting on a 700 pound marble isolation table. It is connected to the VAC phono stage via Masterbuilt Ultra IC and Boochino platinum connectors.

To insure optimal bass beyond the Ultra 9's prodigious bass response are two JL F113 powered subwoofers in each of the rear corners of the room, set to extremely low levels for correct fill.

To insure optimal TV capabilities is a LG 77" OLED screen between to 9's to help make the Ultra 9's look more appropriate and to scale.

More to follow after Capital AudioFest next weekend for the debut of the Endeavor Special Edition and Ultra 55 VSA speakers.

Very interesting! Congratulations on getting your system set up!

Out of curiosity what were the reasons for getting two F113s per side rather than a single Gotham per side?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Paul stand by the door of his shop every day at 5 pm to watch the secretaries exit the building.

. . .

:rolleyes: Kind of creepy and old geezer-y.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
You seem to know too many people ;)

I have got to know some very nice People through this hobby ;)

And also via this nice Forum, so also many thanks to you Steve for providing this platform for kindred spirits :cool:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Amigo Steve,

Hi Mobiusman,

Please could you tell me some more about how the Galder responded to the isolation you have implemented - firstly the large marble rack and then that plus the vibraplane.

Thanks a lot.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you have a Galder, Russ, get the Red sparrow.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Very interesting! Congratulations on getting your system set up!

Out of curiosity what were the reasons for getting two F113s per side rather than a single Gotham per side?
Ron, only one F113 per rear corner because I already had them and they are being used for bass fill and normalization for thje overall room.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ron, only one F113 per rear corner because I already had them and they are being used for bass fill and normalization for thje overall room.

Do you have one F113 in each corner? Are they the F113 mk1 or the mk2 with the auto equalization?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
:rolleyes: Kind of creepy and old geezer-y.

I didn't realize that admiring pretty women in public was either creepy or an age-dependent male activity. At the time, Paul was a lot younger than I am now, so I guess I'm the one that's guilty of being old and geezer-y now! :eek: Don't worry, my friend, you'll get there eventually!

Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing