The Tres Amigos Ride Again-An Ongoing Saga----The Tres are Now Quattro Amigos

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Thanks Stevie! Until next year Amigo!

I had the good fortune of visiting Bob at Rhapsody. I'll write that up on the plane :)

Jack, I was in Manhattan on Friday and took time to stop by Rhapsody for some listening. Bob is always such a great and hospitable host. I went there to hear the Alsyvox speaker and was impressed indeed. It was being driven by a Taiko Extreme (first time I heard one- what's not to like?) into an Aqua Dac using some tank-like electronics I never heard of called Pilium. The Alsyvox speaker did not disappoint. That is one very impressive panel speaker with a nice low end without the use of subs. The model I heard was the smaller pair ($69K?) but he will be getting the bigger Botticell's in the not too distant future. I'll revisit at that time for sure.

Perhaps even more exciting, Bob is currently awaiting delivery on his new pair of Bayz loudspeakers that seem to be all the rave. I think his will be the first pair in the US. I'm told Emile at Taiko ordered a pair for his personal use as well, as has Matej Isak at Mono and Stereo. Wow. Can't wait to hear them.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.35.31 PM.png

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Marty,

Thx so much for visiting, enjoyed it. Btw, Emile has not yet decided yes or no on Bayz, he is still in the decision process. Although he was the one that "turned me on" to Bayz Audio. My pair of Bayz Audio "Courante" are being shipped now, I should have them by late next week. I also have Counterpoints (the big ones) on order which will take about 2 months.

Thx again for coming in and looking forward to your next visit!

Btw, I must say that regarding Bayz one look at this picture was all I needed to be "a goner":)

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/09/bayz-audio-counterpoint-speakers-review.html

Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Looking forward to it:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What a wonderful morning here in Manila. I have been wanting to get this in but backlog has been brutal and the b's, e's and the n's on my keyboard stickinng or simply disappearing has cramped my rhythm. Fiddling with my keyboard settings hasn't seemed to work and I find myself editing furiously as I go along. Here is new Amigo aka Amigo Quattro's take :)

Over a fantastic dinner with Marty, Lisa, Steve, Cathy and Marge, Marty asked me what City I would go to if I had only one choice. I remember saying Paris or Tokyo explaining that like NYC they've got close to everything too but with NYC the level of familiarity and comfort was as yet insufficient and that perhaps a couple of visits more, it would be a place where I could feel more settled. All my previous trips to the Big Apple starting with my first trip in 1991 as a newly "legal" adult with a group of school buddies. Succeeding visits later with kids in tow but more often for work, have been on cramped, hectic itineraries. On one occasion I was only in the City for three days to attend a wedding. How I managed to visit Myles then was some sort of miracle.

This trip was cramped too but very different in that I had more say in the schedule or better yet, the lack thereof. I've been working at breakneck speeds for over two years. In that time I've had to deal with the loss of three loved ones, navigate an election, and restructure our audio business. This was as close to a full on burn out as I have ever gotten. I can tell you that the sticking keyboard keys from Apple hell certainly don't help! When recess was coming around the plan was originally to go to Europe. With still more things popping up my vacation time whittled down to 15 days. I told Steve I was thinking of going to SoCal but Steve said he was going to be in NY to visit with Marty and Russ. Hmmmmm. NYC it is then! The original plan was for Marge and I to go and spend a couple of days at Marty and Lisa's beautiful home. I was veery excited about this. Marty and I have been exchanging ideas for years here on WBF but I've been following Marty's audio progression beginning years before WBF with his Pipedream days in Texas. You can imagine how excited I was to meet him in person. My sister's arrival from DC was delayed due to a storm in Japan so my wiindow closed to a now flimsy 10 days. That meant that I missed the weekend at Marty's.

Fortunately all was not lost and we would still have a full day to hang out. We met at the Museum of Modern Art. I'm not a die hard visual art guy but I definitely like art and have very basic appreciation and knowledge on the subject. Our first full day, Marge and I went around the galleries at Noho and Soho. I have wanted to visit MOMA and luckily enough, it re-opened just in time! I won't bore you guys with the review of thee MOMA and how I still don't "get" Basquiat or 90% of the art displayed there for that matter but finally catching up to Steve and Marty and their oh so lovely wives was truly special. Sorry gentlemen, for the three of us, the term better halves surely, SURELY applies :D

After the museum we had dinner at a wonderful Italian restaurant and now we are all caught up with the story. Food in NYC, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong is as one might expect from any of the great global trade hubs. GOOD, VERY GOOD. High rents pretty much guarantee that only those that provide true value will survive. There's nothing like watching white truffle being shaved onto your pizza but upon reflection, realizing the pizza would have kicked ass anyway without the white gold. It was after this while enjoying our main courses, in my case a head to tail grilled Branzino that I was filleting more from memory since I had left my glasses at the hotel, that Marty asked that question.

We parted ways as we headed back and thee Amigos headed for their scheduled show. The question reverberated in my head and still does.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am going to switch computers now because this keyboard iis driving me insane

Reactions: ALF

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jack not only was that pizza delicious but it was the most expensive pizza I’ve ever eaten. Can you imagine ordering a take out pizza from Dominos and they ask if you want shaved white truffle as well on top

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The next few days had Marge and I meeting up with her cousin and his girlfriend for dinner at Vandal (if you like street art this place is a MUST), lunch with her nieces working in NYC but who are Portland natives and basically just wandering about Manhattan in the most leisurely way. The City was surely growing more and more welcoming and I was feeling more and more comfortable. It helps that my wife grew up in New York as a child and went to school not too far away from where Ron did. Our strolls were filled with tales of her childhood memories. I was starting to feel much less of a stranger. Like Marty said, there's nothing like having local friends around to really help you feel more at home, and that I was.

Vandal was a visual highlight but musically Hadestown on Broadway and Billy Joel at MSG were bucket list experiences.

With just one full day left, I craftily suggested lunch at Eataly knowing full well one of NYC's precious audio havens was on the same block :D

I have had the great pleasure of meeting so many friends here at WBF in person. I met Steve and Ron Party in Danville many years ago. Rodney in Las Vegas. Ron and Kevin have come over. Myles in NY as mentioned. I hope to meet Lloyd and Marc in London next July before I head to Scotland for my Golf pilgrimage. Someday I'd love to meet up with Al and Bill in Texas, Graham in Australia, Tang in Bangkok, David in Utah, Gavin in Indiana. Gianni in Italy, Wisnon in CH. Oh so many friends! Damon and Leif were having a ball on and off the water with Russ in New Jersey so we didn't meet up. I was already in NY, I didn't want to bug Myles on short notice and I have always wanted to meet Bob.

I pick up the phone and called him. A few hours later I was at Rhapsody. Yeah!

I'd been following Bob for years too and we struck up a great friendship here at WBF. Of the many industry friends here I've always felt that we had many similarities in terms of our philosophies. I've always felt like Bob is one of the guys who blurs the line between work and play the way it is for me. We have to take the work part seriously for sure but I think I can surely say that we both approach new gear like kids in a candy store. Very picky kids, but kids nonetheless. As such, while we maintain lines that are very well known, we gamble on up and coming artisanal builders. Many times for us, it is sort of a "before they were famous story". Some fade away, some eventually gain global recognition. Helping talents achieve the latter is always a rewarding feeling.

Upon meeting Bob finally and the exchange of bearhugs like those with Steve and Marty was just really cool. Now the toys in his toy store, they are cool too! Let's get to it audio friends. I know you've been curious so here we go.

Like I said, Bob likes to play. His experimental streak is evident as soon as you walk in his store and you see his custom acoustic guitars some of which look like they could have been used in a Sci-fi flick like The 5th Element. So seeing OB/Horns and Planars beside Magicos isn't that shocking. Our being whatever one would call the opposite of dogmatic is something that has always made me feel a kinship with Bob. It's supposed to be fun dammit, so that's what we should do right? It could be made of tine foil and popsicle sticks, if it sounds good, it is good. LOL

So Bob, what we got? Bob walked me through the system. Front end was the big Vyger with a Koetsu cart on the left, an AF1P on the right both cleverly hooked up to a Zesto. Digital was as Marty described an SGM into an Acquos DAC. Both again cleverly hooked up to Pilium electronics from Greece, another Rhapsody discovery which I suspect will become well known as time goes by. I venture to guess sooner rather than later.

On the back end we had the very visually stunning pairs of speakers, the Alsyvox planars and the Diesis horn OB hybrids. Somebody please explain to me what it is about Italians that have them making such sexy stuff. For the next hour Bob and I went switching from speaker to speaker and among the three front ends. Let's start with the speakers.

Here are prime examples of how some things can be so different yet both be so good. The Diesis with its large paper woofers (Jackie like big paper woofers) its Mid compression driver and tweeter was direct as horns almost always are. Hey, that is what they do and that is what you get. If immediacy is your thing here it is in spades. The Alsyvox hews more closely to what I get at home. Bob gets a huge soundstage in his showroom. It looks packed to the rafters but acoustically it is a very good space. The ceilings are high and the speakers set up well as you would and should expect. The Alsyvox being a dipole did that dipole thing you planar guys are addicted to. Space, transparency. I intentionally do not mention speed because here is where they differ in the way it is delivered. Both are capably of copious amounts of it. The diesis reaches out and hands the information to you, the alsyvox conjures up a soundscape for you to wander in. Again more like what I get at home or at least how I've set my system up to be. If there was such a thing as a holodeck knob, this knob would be turned up. This is my preference. With the Magicos in the line-up and the Omnipolar Bayz coming in, you can say that Bob will have all bases covered.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With all the toxic AF Zero bashing, thread dumping and poaching finally we come to this. A Vyger and a TechDAS on the same system. You may cite price disparities but realise these disparities vary from region to region. In Manila it would be much much smaller given trade treaties between Japan and the Philippines and our distance from Italy. Here, your mileage differs. Literally. The local VYGER dealer is a close friend who I actually helped through difficult medical times. He's also a great source for tubes and various caps. The model presented was a sight to behold. I know I joked that it looks like an espresso machine, which it does :) BUT allow me to qualify that the metal work is of the quality of the best espresso machines :D You know, the ones that cost as much as a good car like <<<<cough, cough>>>>> our analog rigs do LOL Anyway, we're all crazy right? AT least that's out of the way. Unlike the TechDAS with its utilitarian ergonomics layout, the big Vyger has three of it's switches on the motor pod back and left. The linear tracking arm's lifter I found to be in a strange place compared to say an ET2 or a Bergmann. That said, I believe this to be a non-issue as one will surely get used to the normal operation of this table after only a few records are played and will surely become second nature. I found the V/Koetsu tandem to have very good flow. Exemplary in fact. I very much liked how harmonics lingered allowing note to flow into note. It felt like you were closer to the performer without being assaulted with the violence of a live acoustic attack. This made music pretty yet soulful. Soulful in the sense that the music wasn't lightened in context as the combo was more than able to convey the darker, bluer side of the spectrum. Mids were full and the bass succulently rounded while still being nimble. The table that this most reminds me of are those by Nottingham. I've found this to be characteristic of tables that lean more towards the inertia than torque approach. I preferred the VYGER on the Diesis where I felt the romance of the VYGER went hand in hand with the directness of the horn/OB hybrid. The AF1P too aggressive for my tastes with the Diesis. The emotional triggers were those of comfort and internalisation. The kind you feel in your chest and in your belly. I could live with this.

As one would expect from an AF1P/Lyra tandem, you know the bombs hidden in your LPs will be detonated at exactly the right times. Noisefloor is stupid low on this platform. It doesn't have the residual resonant warmth of say, the AF3P. Notes linger longer than the VYGER but they decay more individually as opposed to melting together like the other combo seems to do. This while separating these events in a matrix rather than layers of width and depth. With the Alsyvox you could hear deep past the panels. Events have more action as images pulsate. I felt like the AF showed off the Alsyvox's strengths more. Particularly the ability to launch an intricate sound field into free space like few other speakers I've heard. The emotional triggers have more a tinge of euphoria. Uplifting and dreamlike. You will want to close your eyes and enjoy the show especially if you are a synesthetic like me. The physiological feel is spread out through the body. Then the bombs go off and your heart will want to jump out of your chest LOL

This is my honest no bull take on the VYGER. Value slam-dunk. Let me emphasise this. This is a Daryl Dawkins, Shaquille O'Neil backboard shattering, stanchion collapsing bargain. The idiosyncrasies, I actually find charming yes including the big ass compressor box. You get a flawlessly operating tangential arm with it for goodness sake. The only quibble is that it takes even longer to get up to speed than the AF which itself isn't going to break any records in that department. No worries, give that platter a helping push. It won't break anything.

The AF1P? You guys know I have a personal AF1. It's been four years, five even (?) and I'm still in love with it. I wouldn't be surprised if I reach 7 years and still don't get any itches. It is the brains of my personal Bifrost bridge as the Ultra 11s are the brawn that get me to my favourite audio realms. I firmly believe the L10/P10 will seal the deal for 201 Lair 2.0. It was great seeing it work great, once again in another very different system from my own. It's the table that has the performance envelope I require for my main system's mission and it is staying right where it is.

The biggest win at No27 was still to hang out with yet another kindred spirit.

Steve, Marty you guys know, I know. I am very grateful :D ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hey Jack,

I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to finally meet you and your lovely wife. After knowing someone on WBF and then meeting them in person is always a treat, BUT meeting you was particularly special for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. It was fun listening together!

Now you have another "in-person" friend in the Big Apple.....come back soon!!!

Reactions: ALF

Steve Williams

Hey Jack,

I can't tell you what a pleasure it was to finally meet you and your lovely wife. After knowing someone on WBF and then meeting them in person is always a treat, BUT meeting you was particularly special for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. It was fun listening together!

Now you have another "in-person" friend in the Big Apple.....come back soon!!!
Jack and Marge are coming to SoCal this summer..........

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
We are right on the fairway if the south golf course where we live. I told Jack to bring his clubs and I will caddy for him
With your audio room and living on the golf course, that is true heaven for me:)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Steve,
You have to modify the web site. I'd like to give a double thumbs-up "like" to Jack's two recent posts!

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Steve Williams

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing