The Upgrade Company

Thanks for the links. What would be done if the levels matched at 1k and not at some of the other frequencies looked at?

Now that depends completely on who is answering the question. What would I do? I would assume that the mods are screwing up the FR of the component and send the damn thing back to TUC. By the way, everyone still involved in this thread, with the exception of TUC, their lawyers, and their poor fans, deserves some kind of medal for patience.

Tim

not at all. we just want to keep it polite and civil.

if nothing new and the same arguments arise, it might be worth closing it

You probably should. Nothing definitive will ever come from this thread IMO.

One problem with the "customer testimonial" model is that the negative comments typically don't reach the internet community. Many buyers will not step out publicly and state that they made a poor purchasing decision. There's very little incentive to look like a fool to millions of folks. So, we have a company that performs work on electronic gear. They will not delineate exactly what they do in their modifications. Warranty service is denied if the unit is opened to inspect the work that was done (correct?).

Therefore, all that remains is comments from end users. Of course, we have all seen the discussions that question the accuracy of the human senses (especially hearing) when examining small differences. So, the positive testimonials are often credited to "expectation bias".

In the absence of a straight-forward published review showing FR measurements, or black levels on video components, etc., we are left in this pool of confusion. Add to this quandary the argumentative nature of the company's owner, and a simple answer to this situation seems unlikely.

This has been a very interesting discussion.

Lee

not at all. we just want to keep it polite and civil.

if nothing new and the same arguments arise, it might be worth closing it

Hi Steve,

It is your call. But there are a number of us from a thread on AVS that are trying to do some testing of some stock versus upgraded equipment including the Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro and the Oppo 83/Oppo 83SE near Lancaster, PA. We are trying to get things in order for the testing and trying to get everything in place. It is just taking us some time. When Jeff and others brought things up it was spilling over from AVS thread where I am trying to be an keep things civil. I just tried to field questions. I am sorry if I have caused any problems.

Rich

The real question is why do we continue to give promotion to a largely irrelavant company?

Hi Steve,

It is your call. But there are a number of us from a thread on AVS that are trying to do some testing of some stock versus upgraded equipment including the Onkyo 885 Pre/Pro and the Oppo 83/Oppo 83SE near Lancaster, PA. We are trying to get things in order for the testing and trying to get everything in place. It is just taking us some time. When Jeff and others brought things up it was spilling over from AVS thread where I am trying to be an keep things civil. I just tried to field questions. I am sorry if I have caused any problems.

Rich

no problem at all Rich. In fact I as well as others are anxiously awaiting the results of your testing

FWIW, it is the 2nd most viewed thread on our site

That's because it's like a train wreck-you just gotta look at it. Mystery man doing mystery mods making giant claims with no measurements to back them up and constantly threatening to sue people. The part I find hard to believe is that he has any customers at all.

You probably should. Nothing definitive will ever come from this thread IMO.

Some battles can't be won or lost.........this is one of them,just MHO.

There is no "battle" here. Only those that choose to have a dog in the fight can claim that!

Lee

You're right,but I could have easily been fooled. I'm just a audio hobbyist, but my experience is there are different levels or degrees of upgrades. Any where from subtle to jaw dropping and Holys***. After 43 pages I would gather that most upgrades are between subtle and above. A holysh*** upgrade is rarer than most want to admit. In this game you pay whatever you feel it's worth,if your not happy,go somewhere else.

One problem with the "customer testimonial" model is that the negative comments typically don't reach the internet community. Many buyers will not step out publicly and state that they made a poor purchasing decision. There's very little incentive to look like a fool to millions of folks. So, we have a company that performs work on electronic gear. They will not delineate exactly what they do in their modifications. Warranty service is denied if the unit is opened to inspect the work that was done (correct?).

Therefore, all that remains is comments from end users. Of course, we have all seen the discussions that question the accuracy of the human senses (especially hearing) when examining small differences. So, the positive testimonials are often credited to "expectation bias".

In the absence of a straight-forward published review showing FR measurements, or black levels on video components, etc., we are left in this pool of confusion. Add to this quandary the argumentative nature of the company's owner, and a simple answer to this situation seems unlikely.

This has been a very interesting discussion.

Lee

Well said.

The real question is why do we continue to give promotion to a largely irrelavant company?
I think the promotional value is a side effect. There is a benefit to the community that can go beyond the sheer entertainment value of the dueling proponents and opponents if it causes people to do some objective comparisons. IMO.

And is the promotional value really positive? ;)

Jeff

I think the promotional value is a side effect. There is a benefit to the community that can go beyond the sheer entertainment value of the dueling proponents and opponents if it causes people to do some objective comparisons. IMO.

And is the promotional value really positive? ;)

Jeff

TUC refuses to have a real dialogue "there is no such thingas bad publicity"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing