This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have also read that high relative humidity helps to destroy it. The above said the opposite.
I don't know about that. Singapore has more cases than us with a smaller population and they are way more humid than us in these months.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I received the following in an email from a trusted friend. I have no further provenance or knowledge of its veracity, but thought it was interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New information coming from Johns Hopkins Hospital.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE VIRUS FROM JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL.......

The following is from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University, quite informative.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and converts them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only:
- between 3 hours (fabric and porous),
- 4 hours (copper and wood)
- 24 hours (cardboard),
- 42 hours (metal) and
- 72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

Over the past week there’s been a bunch of similar emails circulating and they all seem to have a niece or daughter at Hopkins but never a son or nephew, wonder why? :)

david

Reactions: hogen and Folsom

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Over the past week there’s been a bunch of similar emails circulating and they all seem to have a niece or daughter at Hopkins but never a son or nephew, wonder why? :)

david

May be we are attuned to believe the post if it comes from a female? I'm sure some marketing guru can attest to whether that is true or not.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
May be we are attuned to believe the post if it comes from a female? I'm sure some marketing guru can attest to whether that is true or not.
And maybe men are just not as active ;) 3F435024-A3AF-4510-B940-C360D5350C9B.jpeg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don't know about that. Singapore has more cases than us with a smaller population and they are way more humid than us in these months.

This is very complicated and I am not a doctor, nor do I study this for a living. Here is a except from a study about SARS which, from what I have read, has many similar characteristics to COVID-19.

The dried virus on smooth surfaces retained its viability for over 5 days at temperatures of 22–25°C and relative humidity of 40–50%, that is, typical air-conditioned environments. However, virus viability was rapidly lost (>3 log10) at higher temperatures and higher relative humidity (e.g., 38°C, and relative humidity of >95%). The better stability of SARS coronavirus at low temperature and low humidity environment may facilitate its transmission in community in subtropical area (such as Hong Kong) during the spring and in air-conditioned environments. It may also explain why some Asian countries in tropical area (such as Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand) with high temperature and high relative humidity environment did not have major community outbreaks of SARS.

Some of this is affected by indoor vs. outdoor transmission since in some warm and humid places people tend to spend more time in air conditioned areas which have lower relative humidity.

Again, I will leave it up to the experts to figure this out.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I received the following in an email from a trusted friend. I have no further provenance or knowledge of its veracity, but thought it was interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New information coming from Johns Hopkins Hospital.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE VIRUS FROM JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL.......

The following is from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University, quite informative.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and converts them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only:
- between 3 hours (fabric and porous),
- 4 hours (copper and wood)
- 24 hours (cardboard),
- 42 hours (metal) and
- 72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

Fake email not sent by Johns Hopkins:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/johns-hopkins-covid-summary/

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is very complicated and I am not a doctor, nor do I study this for a living. Here is a except from a study about SARS which, from what I have read, has many similar characteristics to COVID-19.

The dried virus on smooth surfaces retained its viability for over 5 days at temperatures of 22–25°C and relative humidity of 40–50%, that is, typical air-conditioned environments. However, virus viability was rapidly lost (>3 log10) at higher temperatures and higher relative humidity (e.g., 38°C, and relative humidity of >95%). The better stability of SARS coronavirus at low temperature and low humidity environment may facilitate its transmission in community in subtropical area (such as Hong Kong) during the spring and in air-conditioned environments. It may also explain why some Asian countries in tropical area (such as Malaysia, Indonesia or Thailand) with high temperature and high relative humidity environment did not have major community outbreaks of SARS.

Some of this is affected by indoor vs. outdoor transmission since in some warm and humid places people tend to spend more time in air conditioned areas which have lower relative humidity.

Again, I will leave it up to the experts to figure this out.

Luckily we have enough experts here :):oops:

Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:
Reactions: beaur

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The Australian CSIRO (our peak science org) announced today that it has developed two Covid vaccines and is under way trialling them. Would still be a year away from a release if they are proven but every potential is one more shot at finding a pathway out of this situation.

Reactions: Steve Williams

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Australian CSIRO (our peak science org) announced today that it has developed two Covid vaccines and is under way trialling them. Would still be a year away from a release if they are proven but every potential is one more shot at finding a pathway out of this situation.

That is more good news. Is it possible that if the fatality figures continue to climb exponentially, at some point, perhaps 1M dead in US or more globally, the vaccine release date may be moved forward from mounting pressure to stop the deaths, despite incomplete trials and testing? I sure hope it never reaches that point.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That is more good news. Is it possible that if the fatality figures continue to climb exponentially, at some point, perhaps 1M dead in US or more globally, the vaccine release date may be moved forward from mounting pressure to stop the deaths, despite incomplete trials and testing? I sure hope it never reaches that point.
I’m unsure (and unsure is the default for all things in these times) but I also feel that we must follow due process.

I trust in the medical science responding to this. Strangely what will be will be. We must give ourselves over to this time. There is no peace in panic nor any solution in hopelessness. This is our life, and for what it’s worth we must come to terms with it.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Some things are simple.

When the virus exits the body along with the water content of whatever it's with it typically starts as larger particles. This is why "surgical masks" work to stop transmission from a doctor to a patient. The issue is when the water starts to evaporate some the particles get smaller and can pass through a surgical mask if someone is sucking in through it - hence the N95 suggestion for those not affected. You can also see why temperature and humidity does play a factor. If you're in a really hot climate anything may evaporate very fast so the question is does the virus float around without any water content to it? It might be more airborne? I'm not sure, maybe it just falls.

UV light can kill it, but that doesn't mean your tanning bed is a solution. The type of UV light they use for disinfection in hospitals and clinics is UV C. It's in a controlled box you cannot activate while open. Why? because it instantly cooks flesh, instant destruction and deterioration occurs in cells. If you want cancer and burnt flesh... Otherwise the UV A that we get from natural sunlight is not a predictable killer. UV B is blocked by our atmosphere, and is extremely carcinogenic anyways.

Just a reminder, my late 70's smoker, high blood pressure, grandmother survived without having to go to an emergency room. She did get a Z-pak afterwards because it gave her bronchitis.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
other OTC drugs which might be helpful boosting the immune system are

Quercetin 500mg 2x daily

Luteolin 50mg 2x daily

But Zinc seems to be very helpful

Thank you Steve. I bought some Quercetin today.
It's advice and information like that which makes this thread so valuable.
Keep up the good work

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you Steve. I bought some Quercetin today.
It's advice and information like that which makes this thread so valuable.
Keep up the good work

Barry

please keep in mind that none of this is a cure let alone a preventive. The key to the whole thing globally is truly social distancing and washing your hands frequently.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014

This is partially correct - here are the facts from the CSIRO:

2 April: CSIRO begins first stage of testing COVID-19 vaccines

CSIRO commenced pre-clinical trials for two COVID-19 vaccine candidates at our high-containment facility, the Australian Animal Health Laboratory in Geelong in late March. This work is part of our strategic partnership with the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), who engaged us in January to help build an understanding of the virus that causes COVID-19.

In consultation with?the World Health Organisation,?CEPI has identified vaccine candidates from The University of Oxford (UK) and Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. (US) to undergo?the first?pre-clinical trials at CSIRO, with further candidates likely to follow. CSIRO is testing the COVID-19 vaccine candidates for effectiveness We are also evaluating the best way to give the vaccine for better protection, including an intra-muscular injection and innovative approaches like a nasal spray.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is an interesting story about a town in Tuscanny with the largest Chinese population in Italy and correspondingly lower infection rates due to their cultural behaviour of wearing masks and self isolating early on before there was a nation wide lockdown.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/uni...onavirus-why-prato-home-italys-biggest-single
Apart from mask which 93% of Thais are using (we also donate all N95 to hospitals and mostly use non-N95), alcohol gel should be in every shop cash register. It is not only to kill virus but seeing people using it induce habit of getting hands clean. Knee jerk habit actually saves the paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing