This Corona Virus Mania is Just Too Much, We All Need to Chill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
er, the

I think you were feeling centered out and if so then I apologize as that was not my intent but rather to expound upon my views of vaccination.. I never once mentioned you by name. I merely said that I cannot understand how anyone would be opposed to being vaccinated against Covid-19 There was nothing aimed at you in that. I did say though that I did disagree with your post and that we should agree to disagree

as an aside, in meds school one of my profs would always say, "apart from one's mother the only people we should always listen to is our doctor and our lawyer"

I remember as a kid receiving all vaccinations in school where we were all lined up for small pox vaccination by scraping the vaccine onto the deltoid portion of our arm. I also remember being lined up for Salk vaccine injection and then a year or 2 later being in line to drink the Sabin vaccine. In spite of all of that I managed to graduate meds school without becoming autistic but with a sense of knowing that I was immne

To take it one step further when I was in meds school and there were outbreaks of TB on the wards all of the medical students received BCG and to this day I test positive for a tuberculin test and always require a follow up chest Xray as a result

If you're the only (presumed) one to be contrary in a thread people tend to make "passive" comments without direction. So yes it makes one feel centered out.

On another note:

My father is hard of hearing these days. He watches TV but I don't know how much he understand of what he hears... My brother tried to ask him about what he's doing about the covid19, and while I don't know exactly how the conversation went I do know it basically ended when he replied, "I got shots in the Navy for all that stuff." We're just glad he lives in them middle of nowhere and stays home like he's on quarantine to begin with.

Also, TB, yikes. I met someone who was at the point where it is take medication or die. He seems fine, modern miracle really. His g/f couldn't care less. But when he described how sacks of nastiness are kept at bay by a med I was probably feeling more ill than he ever does.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If you're the only (presumed) one to be contrary in a thread people tend to make "passive" comments without direction. So yes it makes one feel centered out.

On another note:
My father is hard of hearing these days. He watches TV but I don't know how much he understand of what he hears... My brother tried to ask him about what he's doing about the covid19, and while I don't know exactly how the conversation went I do know it basically ended when he replied, "I got shots in the Navy for all that stuff." We're just glad he lives in them middle of nowhere and stays home like he's on quarantine to begin with.

Also, TB, yikes. I met someone who was at the point where it is take medication or die. He seems fine, modern miracle really. His g/f couldn't care less. But when he described how sacks of nastiness are kept at bay by a med I was probably feeling more ill than he ever does.
When i got married to
“my green card wife” they took a couple of blood test and sent them to
be analyzed ( a requirement for green card back then) i had heard one was a aids test, this was early 90’s. The week after the doctor sat me down
looked me in the eyes and said “you
are positive “ there was no treatment back then and i thought my life was
over ! As i turned white, he added “yes your tb test came back positive
you have probably been vaccinated in
Denmark :rolleyes:

Reactions: Folsom

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: howiebrou and beaur

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
In the last 50 yrs, effective vaccines developed against viral illness are few. Hep A, Hep B, and varicella vaccines would qualify. HPV and influenza would not. Rotavirus, maybe; its effectiveness seems to be primarily through stimulating local defenses in the GI tract more than stimulating an effective humoral antibody response. The average time to get a viral vaccine to market averages 18 years from the start of development.

Since at this time we don't even know what constitutes a protective immune response to COVID19, nor how long lasting it might be, hoping for an effective vaccine to be widely available in any reasonable period of time seems to me to be very wishful thinking. If we use the influenza vaccine as an analogy, it may never happen (although there are several immunologic reasons to be more optimistic about a potential corona virus vaccine)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
In the last 50 yrs, effective vaccines developed against viral illness are few. Hep A, Hep B, and varicella vaccines would qualify. HPV and influenza would not. Rotavirus, maybe; its effectiveness seems to be primarily through stimulating local defenses in the GI tract more than stimulating an effective humoral antibody response. The average time to get a viral vaccine to market averages 18 years from the start of development.

Since at this time we don't even know what constitutes a protective immune response to COVID19, nor how long lasting it might be, hoping for an effective vaccine to be widely available in any reasonable period of time seems to me to be very wishful thinking. If we use the influenza vaccine as an analogy, it may never happen (although there are several immunologic reasons to be more optimistic about a potential corona virus vaccine)

AIas I agree in general with your skepticism. Very interesting your last comment: what exactly would be the immunological reasons to be more optimistic about a potential corona virus vaccine? (You can get technical if you want, I'm a biochemist.)

Reactions: dminches

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The corona virus (COVID19) so far appears to mutate less, and less often than influenza virus. Also it appears to have a special affinity for binding to ACE2 receptors in the respiratory tract as a means of infection, so in addition to a potential vaccine stimulating a humoral antibody response, something to interfere with the virus's ability to bind to those receptors may be helpful.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The corona virus (COVID19) so far appears to mutate less, and less often than influenza virus. Also it appears to have a special affinity for binding to ACE2 receptors in the respiratory tract as a means of infection, so in addition to a potential vaccine stimulating a humoral antibody response, something to interfere with the virus's ability to bind to those receptors may be helpful.

Thanks!

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
It audio as well as educational.

Reactions: ddk and Al M.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
No where on my side of Washington does any of that limiting the amount of people in stores. But unless you're around grocery places then nothing is open. People are spending a lot of time walking around the neighborhood. I've heard some people are losing weight because they're eating better too.

You know who's having the best year ever though? Dogs.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I received the following in an email from a trusted friend. I have no further provenance or knowledge of its veracity, but thought it was interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New information coming from Johns Hopkins Hospital.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON THE VIRUS FROM JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL.......

The following is from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University, quite informative.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and converts them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only:
- between 3 hours (fabric and porous),
- 4 hours (copper and wood)
- 24 hours (cardboard),
- 42 hours (metal) and
- 72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Sadly - some of the dot points are not factually correct - stay safe.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Quite a few actually like how it mixes up antibiotics with antibodies...

I have also read that high relative humidity helps to destroy it. The above said the opposite.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Listerine is only about 20% alcohol. Bacardi 151 is 75% and Everclear is 95%. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol comes in 90% and 70%. UV light does NOT kill or destroy coronaviruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing