Thoughts on Paypal as a "seller"

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
My first experience as a "seller". Payment delays, software issues, etc. And the 3% fee that the seller pays is for what? I will never use Paypal as a seller again.

For some people, if you are comfortable , you may consider Wise if it’s available .. Much cheaper , safe

Last edited:
It took ten days for the funds to clear and be released, twice, when I sold off my old system. I had to ask the buyers to verify the purpose of the transaction. PayPal was a real hassle. I charged the 3% fee to the buyer by stating it in the ad and then adjusting the price accordingly.

Reactions: Lee
Reactions: asindc
Paypal can be a hassle to get going with due to security, but I've used them for 15 years with no issues.

They have a lot of good services as far as shipping, invoicing, analytics and accounting as well as seller protection for lost packages, conflict resolution, they will represent you in case of chargebacks, etc.

I have a direct CC processor that saves me about 1% on fees vs PP, and that's pretty cheap for the relatively small volume I do, paypal's fees are reasonable imo.

Here's the rest of the story. After they validated my savings account, they required that I send the product to buyer and once they validate that product was delivered, I would get paid. A good idea (buyer / seller protection policy) gone bad. After calling Paypal, buyer payment has been refunded and I will receive cashiers check. Then I will ship product. A very bizarre, non-sensical, insulting experience. I will never use Paypal again as a seller.

Here's the rest of the story. After they validated my savings account, they required that I send the product to buyer and once they validate that product was delivered, I would get paid. A good idea (buyer / seller protection policy) gone bad. After calling Paypal, buyer payment has been refunded and I will receive cashiers check. Then I will ship product. A very bizarre, non-sensical, insulting experience. A "hassle" to use is a gross understatement. I will never use Paypal again as a seller.

PayPal if fine unless there's a dispute. As a seller you'll find out the hard way that Paypal heavily favours the buyer.

I sold an amplifier that the buyer claimed was damaged in transit - a capicitor has come away from its base. Not my fault, not the buyer's but obvious careless handling by the courier. Paypal took the money back from my account and said the buyer could keep the amplifier unless I claimed otherwise. So the standard deal with Paypal would be that the buyer keeps the damaged item and gets his money back - the seller ends up with nothing. I protested and it was only after the buyer accepted my offer to pay half the repair cost that Paypal sent the funds back to me. This all took several very stressful weeks.

Selling unsighted and remote sales are mostly a trust action. If a remote buyer wants to cheat us the law protects the buyer and the seller has little rights.

Although I am just an occasional seller, I never engage in a sale if I do not feel that the buyer perfectly understands the deal conditions and is acquainted with the equipment and shipping issues.

Reactions: Mikem53
I've been using PayPal for years and 3% is reasonable in doing business. Like shipping ... just negotiate every expense into final price? As a seller, can't remember delays in receiving payment.

So the standard deal with Paypal would be that the buyer keeps the damaged item and gets his money back - the seller ends up with nothing.
Absolutely absurd and unfair to the seller. Especially if you have to ship product before receiving money. Why anyone would want to sell using PP as the money conduit is beyond me.

Last edited:
PayPal can be a pain sometimes but it’s a safe way to trade.
If you consider my example above, you'll perhaps appreciate that it is safe and fair in 99% of cases, but if there's a dispute similar to the one I encountered, the seller is in a very poor position even though he may have done nothing whatsoever to deserve it. I was lucky in that the buyer was prepared to accept my offer to pay 50% of the in-transit damage, otherwise I'd have lost both the proceeds of a GamuT amplifier and the amp itself!

Last edited:
PayPal can be a pain sometimes but it’s a safe way to trade.
If you were asked to ship a product that you were selling without getting paid in advance, do you think that is a "safe way to trade" from a seller's perspective? Would you be willing to do that and feel safe? I'm afraid you have missed my point because that's what PayPal wanted me to do before receiving payment. If you think that's OK, so be it. I think it sucks.

I never had to wait for payment before delivery. Must be different process options.

I’ve started looking into transfers instead. My issue with them is only that it appears you have to give out a bank account #, which is not a great idea?

You have to give them full access to this bank account so that they can deposit but also withdraw money when something goes wrong with the sale/delivery after you got paid by them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing