Thoughts on total number of steps and dB range per step in preamp volume controls.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks, Alex and Keith, for the informative replies. I guess I can be happy with my active external preamp as it checks all the boxes.

Also, remember I'm a tube guy. Others might feel different if they are not. This is a case where there is no "right" answer, just preference.

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, there is ABSOLUTELY no right or wrong in audio.

Martin Colloms loves the Townshend Allegri passive as amongst his favourite preamps. I'd rather give up listening to music than give it permanent house room.

Medium power tubes should not work on Apogees. My favourite Apogees are Duettas on User211s 80W push-pull.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Totally agree, Spirit.

The only preamp I'd go to after the MF is the Ref 10 - which costs $30k. I've considered asking Jonathan to put silver trannies in my MF, but he's pretty against making them that way anymore. Bespoke will do so, but costs $$$$ and I find the rest of package more audio jewelry than sonics.

But hey, drive down to Hastings and check out MF for yourself ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With a valve power amp on a non horn, I will go with the Soulution pre. Used price is good. Also, they work well with Nats too Marc, there are guys using it with the magma

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Also, remember I'm a tube guy. Others might feel different if they are not. This is a case where there is no "right" answer, just preference.

Yeah, I'm a tube guy too, with both tube pre and power. I do enjoy great solid state.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That's a bit of a loaded statement, Keith. No problem supporting British, my tt, arm, analog psu.s, cables, balanced transformer, spkrs isolation footers, and supertweeters, are all British. And at the rate the £ is veering against the $ and €, soon British is all I'll be able to afford.

I've heard Music First as well as Townshend Allegri passives, and found them wanting dynamically.

And when Emia TOTL is way less expensive than MF TOTL, and Emia comes highly rated, I don't need to justify considering them, esp w my poor MF experience.
What is gain of the NAT Utopia? The gain matters just as much as number of steps in an attenuator. Also how many Volts are required for full output power on the amps. An active with less gain (you might even just go for an active buffer with gain of 1) will lower noise and allow you to use the full range of your volume control.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The NAT Plasma I had was great sounding but had so much gain that with my 98db Odeons I was always at the bottom of the range and noise was always an issue.

Incito uses relay/resistor VC with 61 steps. However, gain is pretty low so you are using upper part of the range and therefore quite fine control of the volume.

Best is TVC in front of an active stage...but TVC must be very high quality.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, you may have hit the nail on the head. I only use up to a max of 15-18/100 step on my Nat Utopia pre volume for analog, and 12-15/100 for cd.

And I have some tube noise. This suggests to me running a passive w lower gain or mated better to pwr amps will mean running 1.25dB steps over 47 range should mean I use more of that available range.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Does anyone like the Townshend Allegri Reference? There were two other user reviews like Collums. Maybe it needs a different amp mate, such as my big Class A/B push-pull tube amps. Also, does anyone have an opinion on the VAC Signature preamp? Is it as good as an EAR 912 or close to the passives mentioned in this forum?

Last edited:

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
I use this:
Damping (dB)
0​
-2​
-4​
-6​
-8​
-10​
-12​
-14​
-16​
-18​
-20​
-22​
-24​
-25​
-26​
-27​
-28​
-29​
-30​
-31​
-32​
-33​
-34​
-35​
-36​
-37​
-38​
-39​
-40​
-41​
-42​
-43​
-44​
-45​
-46​
-47​
-48​
-49​
-50​
-51​
-52​
-53​
-54​
-55​
-56​
-57​

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
e
it's gotta be down there somewhere.
let me have another look!
;-) In order to keep this topic focussed....I set up a dedicated "Bowling Alley" to continue what needs to be done for Dudes...

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Lol at ^^^
I‘m late to the party, but back on topic.
I have the Stevens & Billington TX102 TVC, before they became MF. I‘ve had it almost 20 years now.
Copper cores using silver wire throughout elsewhere, and Seiden switchgear. Very transparent with good dynamics even at lower volumes.. This is with a 4v source. Lovely unit, simple and gets out of the way of the music.. I have the MK1 version which has only 20 steps. You can use high or low gain for 20 steps of each. The steps are too wide apart at lower levels, but work out fine for medium to louder volumes.
I was using a preamp with 128 stepped attenuation which was wonderful, but moving on to another unit with 100 steps.. Sometimes you have to have the volume dialed in just right... and 20 steps doesn’t work for me..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing