Totaldac new DACs

NICO

Jan 2, 2023
Hello,
I installed the d1-triunity this week (upgrade from my d1-direct bought in 2018) the result is much higher than my expectations.
The d1-triunity has all the qualities of the d1-direct with more velocity, dynamics, vocals and instruments are more separated, this gives an exceptional soundstage in my own experience...
The d1-triunity improves everything we could hope for vs the d1-direct in a single box from my point of view.
I recommend it without a doubt
Congratulations Vincent "c'est un coup de maître"

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I will demo the d1-trinunity or d1-sublime in Munich this year in the Totaldac room, but I am open to let a DAC to other good rooms.
Exhibitors can ask me!
I would like to listen to a d1-unity somewhere at HE Munich this year :)

Matt

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Hello,
I installed the d1-triunity this week (upgrade from my d1-direct bought in 2018) the result is much higher than my expectations.
The d1-triunity has all the qualities of the d1-direct with more velocity, dynamics, vocals and instruments are more separated, this gives an exceptional soundstage in my own experience...
The d1-triunity improves everything we could hope for vs the d1-direct in a single box from my point of view.
I recommend it without a doubt
Congratulations Vincent "c'est un coup de maître"
I have a d1-dual + digital I am considering upgrading. My initial plan was to go direct + driver. That seems about the same price as the Triunity. Anyone mind giving input on the two setups? I am using a riviera AIC-10 (G73R as the tube) -> susvara and am realy just hunting for a bit better incision on bass notes (I listen to a fair amount of elctronic based music, but super highly value organicness and the kind of "sitting by a fire under a warm blanket" feeling that my system curently gives me)

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Just recently sent my d1-12 mk3 to Vincent to upgrade to the Sublime version. Based on the unequivocally positive feedback on the new architecture, I can't wait to hear Vincent's sublime creation in my own room soon.

Thanks Vincent!

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
Hi Vincent,

I am most curious about two changes in the Unity Architecture. Can you discuss the following?

(1) Removal of FIR filter:

Have you found another way to level high frequencies or decided that the FIR filter was not helpful for absolute sound quality?

(2) Removal of the direct output in Sublime:

- Many people swear by the direct R2R output in D1-12. Is the new active stage superior to the direct output?

- If the above is true, is a preamp even necessary? I would expect the healthy 7V XLR output to typically produce bold and high energy sound.

Thanks,

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi Vincent,

I am most curious about two changes in the Unity Architecture. Can you discuss the following?

(1) Removal of FIR filter:

Have you found another way to level high frequencies or decided that the FIR filter was not helpful for absolute sound quality?

The FIR is still there, and can be enabled or disabled from the remote control like before.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
(2) Removal of the direct output in Sublime:

- Many people swear by the direct R2R output in D1-12. Is the new active stage superior to the direct output?

- If the above is true, is a preamp even necessary? I would expect the healthy 7V XLR output to typically produce bold and high energy sound.

Thanks,

Yes for me the d1-sublime output with output stage is clearly superior to the d1-twelve direct R2R output.
3.5V RCA or 7V XLR is enough to drive any amplifier in term of voltage and impedance, but a preamp (at least the Totaldac d1-driver-mk2) still helps to get the most realistic sound.

Reactions: VPN and eskamobob1

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Yes for me the d1-sublime output with output stage is clearly superior to the d1-twelve direct R2R output.
3.5V RCA or 7V XLR is enough to drive any amplifier in term of voltage and impedance, but a preamp (at least the Totaldac d1-driver-mk2) still helps to get the most realistic sound.

Mind commenting on d1-direct + driver vs triunity? The twelve and sublime are out of my price range but both of these seem like enticing upgrade options for roughly the same price, so im curious what differences I can expect between the two.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Mind commenting on d1-direct + driver vs triunity? The twelve and sublime are out of my price range but both of these seem like enticing upgrade options for roughly the same price, so im curious what differences I can expect between the two.
I would clearly recommend the d1-triunity, it is a very special DAC.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I would not say that the d1-driver is part of the DAC, the d1-driver is the preamp.
As DAC, I think that the d1-triunity is superior to the d1-direct, and the output stage is not the first difference.

Reactions: eskamobob1

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
I would not say that the d1-driver is part of the DAC, the d1-driver is the preamp.
As DAC, I think that the d1-triunity is superior to the d1-direct, and the output stage is not the first difference.
Vincent,

Given the new architecture, is using one re-clocker still as beneficial as it was in the past?

How about using 2 re-clockers?

Thanks,

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Vincent,

Given the new architecture, is using one re-clocker still as beneficial as it was in the past?

How about still using 2 re-clockers?

Thanks,
Yes the reclocker is still as beneficial and using two reclockers is still possible.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Here is how I am testing digital sources.

1-I recorded good musicians in my auditorium, using a Studer analog master tape recorder (the best recorder I know) and using RTM SM900 tape (the best tape I know).
I will only use this original tape, not a copy, because an original tape sounds better than a copy, and better than a copy of copy of copy...

So I also listen to this un-amplified concert in real, always good to have it in memory.

The musicians, with state of the art Schoeps omnidirectional microphones and battery-powered mic preamp, in a controlled room, in far field recording:
musicians.jpg

The recorder and tape (reels made for Totaldac by RTM)
studer.jpg

The recorder is installed in another room, with 10mm double glass window
console.jpg

Then I digitized the content of the analog reel in a 96KHz/24 file using a very good Analog to Digital converter fed by batteries.
recording tape.jpg

The great thing is that I can also use the AES-EBU output this Analog to Digital converter, so now whenever I want to I can:
1-play the digital file using a server, streamer or a computer
2-or play the tape and convert it on the fly to digital AES-EBU

For each of these possibilities the analog source is exactly the same, the Analog to Digital converter is exactly the same.
The only difference is a comparison between the reading of a digital file and an on-the-fly direct AES-EBU generation.

So I can listen to different servers or software and I know how a perfect server should sound, it should sound like the on-the-fly AES-EBU.
So it is a true absolute reference, a super tool!
I can also listen to the direct analog output of the master tape player, to evaluate also the DAC.

I may use some tracks from this concert in Munich High End show in May 2023, Atrium room F123, so come and listen to these pure recordings!

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
does that suggest possible improvements to existing reclockers?
The reclocker supplied with the d1-sublime DAC, called d1-digital-sublime is indeed a higher end reclocker, including many of the unity line innovations plus an additional board (a new design). When people upgrade a d1-twelve to a d1-sublime I upgrade their existing reclocker to the d1-digital-sublime.

PTCL

Apr 9, 2018
USA
For people who will use two re-clockers with the Sublime, do both need to be d1-digital-sublimes or just one?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
For people who will use two re-clockers with the Sublime, do both need to be d1-digital-sublimes or just one?
In this case I can upgrade one or two reclockers. Two most times.

Reactions: VPN and eskamobob1

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Here is how I am testing digital sources.

1-I recorded good musicians in my auditorium, using a Studer analog master tape recorder (the best recorder I know) and using RTM SM900 tape (the best tape I know).
I will only use this original tape, not a copy, because an original tape sounds much better than a copy, and even better than a copy of copy of copy... When you by a master tape it is at least a copy of copy, often a copy of copy of copy.

So I also listen to this un-amplified concert in real, always good to have it in memory.

The musicians, with state of the art Schoeps omnidirectional microphones and battery-powered mic preamp, in a controlled room, in far field recording:
View attachment 104378

The recorder and tape (reels made for Totaldac by RTM)
View attachment 104379

The recorder is installed in another room, with 10mm double glass window
View attachment 104381

Then I digitized the content of the analog reel in a 96KHz/24 file using a very good Analog to Digital converter fed by batteries.
View attachment 104382

The great thing is that I can also use the AES-EBU output this Analog to Digital converter, so now whenever I want to I can:
1-play the digital file using a server, streamer or a computer
2-or play the tape and convert it on the fly to digital AES-EBU

For each of these possibilities the analog source is exactly the same, the Analog to Digital converter is exactly the same.
The only difference is a comparison between the reading of a digital file and an on-the-fly direct AES-EBU generation.

So I can listen to different servers or software and I know how a perfect server should sound, it should sound like the on-the-fly AES-EBU.
So it is a true absolute reference, a super tool!
I can also listen to the direct analog output of the master tape player, to evaluate also the DAC.

I may use some tracks from this concert in Munich High End show in May 2023, Atrium room F123, so come and listen to these pure recordings!
I love to see your commitment, and may well try your new DACs, but I wonder whether you could comment on why you chose to record on analogue tape instead of in digital, when digital has a much large in Dynamic Range?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I love to see your commitment, and may well try your new DACs, but I wonder whether you could comment on why you chose to record on analogue tape instead of in digital, when digital has a much large in Dynamic Range?

Thank you.
If I record directly in digital I can only play the file later.
With the analog tape as primary source I can make a digital file AND I can convert on-the-fly to AES-EBU, so I can compare both to evaluate the server, software or reclocker (so the system reading the file, which is often/always a weakness).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing