Totaldac new DACs

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Thank you.
If I record directly in digital I can only play the file later.
With the analog tape as primary source I can make a digital file AND I can convert on-the-fly to AES-EBU, so I can compare both to evaluate the server, software or reclocker (so the system reading the file, which is often/always a weakness).
How good is the ADC in the SONOSAX SX-M2D2? Is it good enough for the purpose?
Thx

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
How good is the ADC in the SONOSAX SX-M2D2? Is it good enough for the purpose?
Thx

Matt
It is good enough and this ADC is used in both compared cases.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
It is good enough and this ADC is used in both compared cases.
I suppose the on-the-fly AES output sounds better than the file from the server. How big is the difference?
Thx again.

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I suppose the on-the-fly AES output sounds better than the file from the server. How big is the difference?
Thx again.

Matt
There is a difference, and it is interesting to evaluate this difference when testing a server or another, a software or another, one or two reclockers... It is not a big difference but one can hear the sound of each configuration, and optimise it to become always closer to the original.
The next streamer software will be optimized by this method.

Reactions: ICUToo and matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
There is a difference, and it is interesting to evaluate this difference when testing a server or another, a software or another, one or two reclockers... It is not a big difference but one can hear the sound of each configuration, and optimise it to become always closer to the original.
The next streamer software will be optimized by this method.
How do you evaluate the quality of streaming from Qobuz?
Thx

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
How do you evaluate the quality of streaming from Qobuz?
Thx

Matt
I compare the Qobuz stream to the local file bought on Qobuz.

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
A few days ago the new Dac Sublime, top of the TOTALDAC range, arrived.
I wanted to write earlier but I wasn't able to, unable, stuck, hypnotized and destabilized!
The rules of the game have been rewritten.
I struggle to think of a DAC that sounds better, here there is organicity, vibrations, harmonics that remain in the air for an infinite time, devastating three-dimensionality and musicality, the harmonic texture of the bass is so rich in information that you could smell the plucked strings or the thumping kick drum!
The upgrade from the Twelve mk3 to the Sublime is not an upgrade it is a paradigm shift, a landing on Mars without the need for the spaceship and the space suit!
definitely landed on another planet…

NICO

Jan 2, 2023
A few days ago the new Dac Sublime, top of the TOTALDAC range, arrived.
I wanted to write earlier but I wasn't able to, unable, stuck, hypnotized and destabilized!
The rules of the game have been rewritten.
I struggle to think of a DAC that sounds better, here there is organicity, vibrations, harmonics that remain in the air for an infinite time, devastating three-dimensionality and musicality, the harmonic texture of the bass is so rich in information that you could smell the plucked strings or the thumping kick drum!
The upgrade from the Twelve mk3 to the Sublime is not an upgrade it is a paradigm shift, a landing on Mars without the need for the spaceship and the space suit!
definitely landed on another planet…
great feedback;)

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
I add some note
There is a more extensive soundstage in three dimensions, a tone closer to reality, a greater quantity of information that better reconstructs the mid-bass and the bass frequency. now everything is perfect, as it should be organic, bright and full of energy, the notes vibrate and keep their color in the air for an almost impossible time !!!
I listened to and tried many many dacs, I understood that one of the real digital problems is in the reproduction of low frequencies in their timbre correctness in control and presence and strength, in their information content, usually even the best DACs in the world on this aspect they may fall short compared to other parameters! In this fundamental aspect the Sublime excels and does it at the highest levels, and this is exciting!

I would like to add this note, but I don't want to be misunderstood, but I have to say it!!!
if I close my eyes I seem to have a professional reel-to-reel tape recorder with its master playing !!!
now there is something different, there is an analog sound in the sense of so intimately connected to reality.
It's a leap of species!

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I add some note
There is a more extensive soundstage in three dimensions, a tone closer to reality, a greater quantity of information that better reconstructs the mid-bass and the bass frequency. now everything is perfect, as it should be organic, bright and full of energy, the notes vibrate and keep their color in the air for an almost impossible time !!!
I listened to and tried many many dacs, I understood that one of the real digital problems is in the reproduction of low frequencies in their timbre correctness in control and presence and strength, in their information content, usually even the best DACs in the world on this aspect they may fall short compared to other parameters! In this fundamental aspect the Sublime excels and does it at the highest levels, and this is exciting!

I would like to add this note, but I don't want to be misunderstood, but I have to say it!!!
if I close my eyes I seem to have a professional reel-to-reel tape recorder with its master playing !!!
now there is something different, there is an analog sound in the sense of so intimately connected to reality.
It's a leap of species!
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
What do you use upstream to the Sublime?
Thx

Matt

Reactions: eskamobob1

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Vincent

Will there be a sublime level reclocker we can use with, for example, a triunity?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Vincent

Will there be a sublime level reclocker we can use with, for example, a triunity?
On demand yes.
In the web site catalog I don't know yet.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Will you improve the current reclocker with "unity" technology and release a new one?
Thx

Matt
Yes, the result is the d1-digital-sublime reclocker.
I also developed and additional board for this special reclocker. It is a major upgrade.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Dear Vincent,
Which one has a better sound? The D1-Triunity or the D1-Twelve-mk3?
Cheers,
VPN
VPN,
It may depend on the transport (since only the d1-twelve-mk3 includes a Totaldac reclocker).

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Dear Vincent,
Considering your answer, let me make a follow up question.
Which one has a better sound? (a) The Sublime Reclocker + D1-Triunity or (b) the D1-Twelve-mk3?
Cheers,
VPN
VPN,
I would prefer (a) The Sublime Reclocker + D1-Triunity

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Dear Vincent,

Being this the case, it seems to me that (except if one already has a D1-twelve-mk3), the upgrade path would be:

D1-Triunity
D1-Triunity + Sublime Reclocker
D1-Sublime
D1-Sublime + 2nd Sublime Reclocker

So no need to offer new D1-twelve-mk3.
Yes the new unity line is more competitive than the previous products, except the d1-core because there is no unity line DAC in the d1-core price range.

Reactions: eskamobob1 and VPN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing