Totaldac new DACs

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

The new Totaldac Tri-unity DAC : a brief encounter

Ben Lau, boss of Volent Audio Hong Kong and I would visit a friend together on the past Wed evening.
When I arrived at the Violent showroom, I was surprised by the presence of the new Totaldac Unity DAC and Tri-unity DAC, because they were announced by Vincent of Totaldac not too long ago.

I certainly wanted to audition both of them.
However the Unity DAC was packed up for sending to a local HiFi magazine for review.
I listened to the Tri-unity DAC only briefly because Ben and I had a gathering to attend that evening.

IMG_20230119_083857.jpg

The exterior of Tri-Unity is indistinguishable from the other Totaldac dac models.
IMG_20230119_084053.jpg

IMG_20230119_084142.jpg

There is only a small label at the back indicating it's the new Tri-unity.
IMG_20230120_122834.jpg

The audition of Tri-unity was with Extreme Server, Bespoke TVC passive preamp, Westminster Lab Rei monoblocks and a pair of Volent Audio floorstander speaker.

Since it's only a short audition, I will give a few short comments & thoughts only :
1. Remember the discontinued d1-Seven? It was launched for requests for a dac with higher macro-dynamics.
However I think some of the famous Totaldac finesseness and musicality was traded-off.
I personally like the d1-Direct much more.

The Tri-unity is diff. It has got the best of both worlds! The bass/rhythm/macrodynamics are as good as the Seven yet the finesseness/fluidity/musicality of Direct is there too.

2. The d1-Direct will be optimized by adding the optional Livepower PSU and a Totaldac Reclocker.
However the Tri-unity even without adding them was performing at a level surpassing Seven/Direct already.
Vincent has done a great job in designing the new series.

3. The Tri-unity can have the ground connected or floated. I like the floated state more.
The local dealer got it only a few days ago. I'm confident that with more run-time and finetuning, it will perform even better.

4. The d1-Twelve Mk3 is my 2nd favourite dac. Now that I have listened to the outstanding Tri-unity, I wonder whether Totaldac's new flagship the d1-Sublime can better the 1st favourite dac my own MSB Select DAC? :p

I very much hope that Volent HK will have the d1-Sublime for demo soon.
:D

Attachments

• IMG_20230120_122834.jpg
    IMG_20230120_122834.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to hearing what you think of TotalDAC Sublime when you get a chance to hear it!

caesar

May 30, 2010

The new Totaldac Tri-unity DAC : a brief encounter

Ben Lau, boss of Volent Audio Hong Kong and I would visit a friend together on the past Wed evening.
When I arrived at the Violent showroom, I was surprised by the presence of the new Totaldac Unity DAC and Tri-unity DAC, because they were announced by Vincent of Totaldac not too long ago.

I certainly wanted to audition both of them.
However the Unity DAC was packed up for sending to a local HiFi magazine for review.
I listened to the Tri-unity DAC only briefly because Ben and I had a gathering to attend that evening.

View attachment 103265

The exterior of Tri-Unity is indistinguishable from the other Totaldac dac models.
View attachment 103266

View attachment 103267

There is only a small label at the back indicating it's the new Tri-unity.
View attachment 103269

The audition of Tri-unity was with Extreme Server, Bespoke TVC passive preamp, Westminster Lab Rei monoblocks and a pair of Volent Audio floorstander speaker.

Since it's only a short audition, I will give a few short comments & thoughts only :
1. Remember the discontinued d1-Seven? It was launched for requests for a dac with higher macro-dynamics.
However I think some of the famous Totaldac finesseness and musicality was traded-off.
I personally like the d1-Direct much more.

The Tri-unity is diff. It has got the best of both worlds! The bass/rhythm/macrodynamics are as good as the Seven yet the finesseness/fluidity/musicality of Direct is there too.

2. The d1-Direct will be optimized by adding the optional Livepower PSU and a Totaldac Reclocker.
However the Tri-unity even without adding them was performing at a level surpassing Seven/Direct already.

3. The Tri-unity can have the ground connected or floated. I like the floated state more.
The local dealer got it only a few days ago. I'm confident that with more run-time and finetuning, it will perform even better.

4. The d1-Twelve Mk3 is my 2nd favourite dac. Now that I have listened to the outstanding Tri-unity, I wonder whether Totaldac's new flagship the d1-Sublime can better the 1st favourite dac my own MSB Select DAC? :p

I very much hope that Volent HK will have the d1-Sublime for demo soon.
Thanks for the write up.
1. When ever I have heard Direct with a preamp, I have never experienced dynamics issues. And I am a dynamics junky! However, it’s the msb dacs that lack dynamics - even with a preamp!

2. totaldac models - regardless of price - blow away msb , if you gauge quality by ability to convey emotion. Msb sound sterile and neutral by comparison. But msb work great in horn- SET systems due to the emotion already being there from the rest of the system. ymmv, obviously. :) :). :)

Reactions: skids929

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks for the write up.
1. When ever I have heard Direct with a preamp, I have never experienced dynamics issues. And I am a dynamics junky! However, it’s the msb dacs that lack dynamics - even with a preamp!

2. totaldac models - regardless of price - blow away msb , if you gauge quality by ability to convey emotion. Msb sound sterile and neutral by comparison. But msb work great in horn- SET systems due to the emotion already being there from the rest of the system. ymmv, obviously. :) :). :)
Thanks for sharing your views.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Yes the unity line has an even better dynamic that previous Totaldac models, compared everyday to an analog master tape player now.
Does it make sense to offer Totaldacs outside the unity line when unity is much superior?
Just wondering....... :)

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Does it make sense to offer Totaldacs outside the unity line when unity is much superior?
Just wondering....... :)

Matt
The prices are different.
If the price doesn't count yes prefer the unity line.
Currently many received or will soon receive their d1-triunity.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Point sublime is a wonderful place, especially when you reach it with MTB (muscular). Absolutely wonderful, but also Lac Sainte-Croix.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Point sublime is a wonderful place, especially when you reach it with MTB (muscular). Absolutely wonderful, but also Lac Sainte-Croix.
yes muscular mountain bike, 6900 meters of positive elevation in 4 days to follow the Verdon river was my challenge last year.
Some free time for the head to think of DAC architecture...

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the report. I can't wait for more sightings!

I love that you found the triunity superior to the direct/livepsu/reclocker, which is my current system. Just to clarify. Was the triunity playing with the old psu?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: CKKeung and NICO

DrJay

Feb 2, 2023
I just got my upgrade from a d1-seven to d1-triunity (the live psu remained untouched) back from Vincent last week:
You should be prepared fort he unexpected ! The triunity (and most probably all the models based on the new unity architecture) are different. It’s not that they lost their totaldac ‚genes‘ but some more ‚genes‘ are added.
As a first reaction I told to Vincent that this new dac is dac on ‚steroides‘ :
The triunity plays extremely energetic and authoritative with slam and great macro-dynamics – characterics I was actually missing with the past models (like the d1-seven).
The resolution of musical information and the capability of reproducing a three-dimensional soundstage and holographic picture is simply breathtaking and spectacular – it’s in a totally different league compared tot he d1-seven !

In fact, the sonic differences compared to a d1-seven (at least to the one I had) are so huge and profound, it’s hard to believe these are two dacs from the same company. Just from a listening perspective I would rate the triunity double the price oft he d1-seven - it’s that good.
So, go for the unity architecture models as Vincent recommends, too.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Thank you very much Dr Jay.
Many customers, reviewers and key hifi manufacturers have received their d1-triunity or d1-unity, we should have more feedback soon.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I will demo the d1-trinunity or d1-sublime in Munich this year in the Totaldac room, but I am open to let a DAC to other good rooms.
Exhibitors can ask me!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing