Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: NICO and matthias

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
What do you use upstream to the Sublime?
Thx

Matt
great question!

the digital transport starts from an optimized and fanless PC Windows 11 last version, where the ROON core runs, it comes with a fiber optic network card from AfterDark NETWORK CARD Based on the Intel 1GbE network controller I350, with Finisar SFP+ adapters Single Mode SFP Modules up to a Sonore New opticalModule Deluxe media converter, from here in the first Switch Ansuz PowerSwitch, then in the second PowerSwitch in dCS Bridge network streamer then in the Sublime.

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
in light of the new TOTALDAC products, it would be interesting to consider the new streamer, and a second reclock for the Sublime...

Reactions: eskamobob1

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
in light of the new TOTALDAC products, it would be interesting to consider the new streamer, and a second reclock for the Sublime...
The streamer with unity line upgrades and the new board is called d1-streamer-sublime.
We are also currently optimizing the software for it (upgradable on the microSD card).

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The streamer with unity line upgrades and the new board is called d1-streamer-sublime.
We are also currently optimizing the software for it (upgradable on the microSD card).
If you stream Qobuz from a Macbook /Audirvana to d1-streamer-sublime how big is the impact of each of the devices on the SQ?
Thx

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
If you stream Qobuz from a Macbook /Audirvana to d1-streamer-sublime how big is the impact of each of the devices on the SQ?
Thx

Matt
The reclcoker (built in the streamer) is very important in this case.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The reclcoker (built in the streamer) is very important in this case.
So the SQ with Macbook / Audirvana > d1-reclocker-sublime would be about the same?
Thx

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
So the SQ with Macbook / Audirvana > d1-reclocker-sublime would be about the same?
Thx

Matt
I should be better with the d1-streamer-sublime (Audirvana providing audio via upnp/dlna).

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A recording session has been made in January 2023 in the new Totaldac auditorium.
Thank you to Christian Basset who played the accordion.
Two microphones are used in far field, about 2m away from the musician, then the signal is recorded in parallel on an analog master tape (AAA) and in a digital file (DDD).
Later the analog recording was also copied to another digital file (ADD) but using the same Analog to Digital converter.
These recordings will allow you to:
-enjoy this piece music!
-evaluate the Totaldac recording system.
-listen to how neutral the acoustics of the Totaldac auditorium is.
-compare the digital recording (DDD) and the analog + digital recording (ADD).
-evaluate your system.

This recording will be used in Totaldac room F123 next Munich High End show, using probably the d1-sublime.

You can download the 96KHz/24 files here:
ADD file:

DDD file:

The file links are also given on Totaldac web site:

musicians.jpg

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Two microphones are used in far field, about 2m away from the musician, then the signal is recorded in parallel on an analog master tape (AAA) and in a digital file (DDD).
Do you provide your analog master tape recorder in Munich for direct comparison AAA vs. DDD?
Thx

Matt

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Do you provide your analog master tape recorder in Munich for direct comparison AAA vs. DDD?
Thx

Matt
This is not planned.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
This is not planned.
It is a pity. It would be very interesting since also the analog recording/playback system has certainly its own distorsions and the DDD approach could be better in some criteria. Comparing ADD to DDD only makes no sense to me, sorry.

Matt

Last edited:

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
Vince, I think you are doing a great job! Wish I were in Europe to hear these new things.
I doing care all that much about AAA vs ADD vs DDD.
What I want to know is: which of the TotalDAC DACs (if any) is a significant step up from the MSB Reference DAC.
and: is there an Australian dealer??
kind regards,

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Vince, I think you are doing a great job! Wish I were in Europe to hear these new things.
What I want to know is: which of the TotalDAC DACs (if any) is a significant step up from the MSB Reference DAC.
kind regards,
Thank you!
I would recommend a d1-unity, d1-triunity or d1-sublime, depending on space you have and budget you have.
Adding a live-power supply for the d1-unity or d1-triunity is recommended, and you can vastly improve your digital source adding a d1-digital-sublime reclocker.
Adding a d1-driver will also improve the sound if you drive directly the power amp, the d1-driver being the matching preamp in this case.

Several reviews of the unity line should come the next days or weeks!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
kind regards,
There is no dealer in Australia, there are some only in Asia.
All the rest of the word is managed directly by Totaldac from France.
There is a "Totaldac ambassador" in Sidney: https://www.totaldac.com/listening.htm

Reactions: ICUToo

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A first review of the Totaldac d1-triunity DAC has been released!
Volent Audio, the Totaldac retailer in Hong Kong sent a d1-triunity to AudioTechnique magazine.
The reviewer Paul LEUNG released his article in the current issue of March 2023, issue number 498.
He writes:
"It is the BEST one box DAC I ever heard, NOT one of the best but the BEST"
Thank you!

page 1.jpg

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Volent Audio, the Totaldac retailer in Hong Kong sent a d1-triunity to AudioTechnique magazine.
The reviewer Paul LEUNG released his article in the current issue of March 2023, issue number 498.
He writes:
Thank you!

View attachment 105698

Any possibility of a translation?

Reactions: lordcloud

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: eskamobob1

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
He writes:
Thank you!

View attachment 105698
Paul said about the Triunity DAC : ""It is the BEST one box DAC I ever heard, NOT one of the best but the BEST"".

However IMHO "He ain't seen the real thing yet! ".
:p

In Hong Kong, one of the D1-Twelve mk3 owners recently sent the dac to Vincent for upgrading to Sublime, the current Totaldac flagship.

I was so lucky that I could have a short listen at the showroom of Volent Audio HK, the local Totaldac dealer before the Sublime was delivered to the client.

Here it is :

IMG_20230224_225736.jpg

Sublime is also extremely unassuming and can be identified only by a small model name at the back.

IMG_20230309_152652.jpg

When it started playing, I had to pick up my jaw from the floor.
It's a quantum leap!
:oops:

IMG_20230224_170918.jpg

However when I asked Ben, boss of Volent HK to add two xlr D1-Drivers to the Sublime, I realized that my favorite dac the MSB Select+Digital Director now had a real rival.
They are on par but with diff characters and I personally rate both of them equal in absolute performance.

They both are now my favorite top dac in the market.
:D

Dear Vincent : you are Super!
:cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing