Trinity DAC

Yes, I know. I have a REAL one. The real ones are the 1-bit processors, PBD/Meitner/Sonore/EMM, some hybrids like dCS/MSB and the filter boxes like Lampizator APLhifi. I like the filter boxes best, as they dont have any additional processing and are theoretically more "pure".

Yes, I know. I have a REAL one. The real ones are the 1-bit processors, PBD/Meitner/Sonore/EMM, some hybrids like dCS/MSB and the filter boxes like Lampizator APLhifi. I like the filter boxes best, as they dont have any additional processing and are theoretically more "pure".

MSB is a discrete ladder DAC, not a hybrid.

Its not even about being better. Its about being optimal with DSD material.PCM will never be optimal for this material and there is a lot of DSD64, enough for one to want to hear it at its best.

Well, apparently some companies do believe in the superiority of DSD recordings. Look for example to the website of Channel Classics. The price they charge for their DSD downloads (eur 30) is 50 percent higher than the price of 24/192 downloads (eur 20). Btw, the 24/192 files that I have downloaded so far from this site sound absolutely superb (eg Bach's Mass in B minor and Mahler's fifth symphony).

Last edited:
Well, apparently some companies do believe in the superiority of DSD recordings. Look for example to the website of Channel Records. The price they charge for their DSD downloads (eur 30) is 50 percent higher than the price of 24/192 downloads (eur 20). Btw, the 24/192 files that I have downloaded so far from this site sound absolutely superb (eg Bach's Mass in B minor and Mahler's fifth symphony).

I have become format agnostic. I just want to hear each format at its best, as BOTH PCM and DSD can be superb. The proof of the pudding is in the eating...I have heard both formats sound sublime.

OK, so no pure DSD then?

I belive it converts to PCM internally ... so it is not really much different to Trinity, the main difference beeing that with Trinity you need to convert DSD to PCM on the computer side of things.

I belive it converts to PCM internally ... so it is not really much different to Trinity, the main difference beeing that with Trinity you need to convert DSD to PCM on the computer side of things.

Just like the new BADA REF.

Well, apparently some companies do believe in the superiority of DSD recordings. Look for example to the website of Channel Records. The price they charge for their DSD downloads (eur 30) is 50 percent higher than the price of 24/192 downloads (eur 20). Btw, the 24/192 files that I have downloaded so far from this site sound absolutely superb (eg Bach's Mass in B minor and Mahler's fifth symphony).
Channel Classics is one of the very rare company to record the music directly into the DSD format. I've asked the Channel Classics why they marked the DSD download so much higher than the 24/196. His reply was that the DSD file was same as their Master Copy in the studio and it was very high quality so it justified the price. Furthermore, he believed that the audiophile market would absorb the price difference.
Since their recordings were very outstanding , the hirez files , no matter dsd or 24/196, could achieve very high playback performance.
I preferred to purchase the original format and carry out the necessary DSD->PCM conversion at PC.

BIS has 9 SACDs recorded directly to DSD. Telearc/Pentatone/Praga Digitalis have many too. I am sure there are many others, as there are about 2,500 SACDs that were direct DSD and many others that were Analog transfers. All rippable now.

Channel Classics is one of the very rare company to record the music directly into the DSD format. I've asked the Channel Classics why they marked the DSD download so much higher than the 24/196. His reply was that the DSD file was same as their Master Copy in the studio and it was very high quality so it justified the price. Furthermore, he believed that the audiophile market would absorb the price difference.
Since their recordings were very outstanding , the hirez files , no matter dsd or 24/196, could achieve very high playback performance.
I preferred to purchase the original format and carry out the necessary DSD->PCM conversion at PC.

Thanks much for this info, Jsn.

As I am at the beginning of this dsd journey , and do not want to muddy the waters. But I have read on other forums that
There really is not any pure dsd. As during the mastering / mixing process it's converted to PCM to process.
Supposedly this is true and kinda confuses the purist in this quest. Can someone way in on this please ?

Al

As I am at the beginning of this dsd journey , and do not want to muddy the waters. But I have read on other forums that
There really is not any pure dsd. As during the mastering / mixing process it's converted to PCM to process.

Any sort of processing is very hard to do on "pure" DSD. That is why "DSD-capable" audio workstations either convert the material to PCM (often DXD, a 24-bit PCM fomat) for processing, or use a hybrid format such as "DSD-wide" (a 8-bit format).

Ok so other people are correct in there statements. So in the end nothing is pure DSD
Then. But there are many who say they hear the benifits of DSD
I will listen and try to digest this as well.
It seems in this music reproduction there is many concessions
That must be made. I have in my office a
Active cross over in my setup. I used it to fix
Issues in the speakers within my room.
Now using this is good for me but only cunfusses it even more.

Al

My advice would be "stop worrying and enjoy the music" :)

Not true. Not everyone does any processing at all and even when done in DSD-wide (Multi-bit DSD), its done in milliseconds with nigh any degradation. The reall issue is Pure PCM, when all commercial recordings are done on delta-sigma Dacs!

Digital room correction can only be done in PCM, except for Signalist HQ-Player that has a DSD processing feature.

Not true.

Which part?

Not everyone does any processing at all

True, but the recordings where no processing, eq or adjustments need to be made are a rather limited niche.

even when done in DSD-wide (Multi-bit DSD), its done in milliseconds with nigh any degradation.

The possible degradation is something we can debate until the cows come home. What the OP asked was if the DSD is converted in the mastering / mixing process. The answer to that is that "if there is any processing/mixing involved, it has to be done either by a format conversion or in the analog domain".

The reall issue is Pure PCM, when all commercial recordings are done on delta-sigma Dacs!

If it is an issue at all. Anyway, in most cases it would be comparing DSD-to-PCM-to-DSD to DSD-to-PCM.

Does it make an audible difference? Only listening tests can tell.

i am sorry for my statement, I'm not trying to side track this thread. as i get deeper into this hobby, its just never seems to end. i am not a fanatic and i do enjoy listening to my music . and i do this is many file types and mostly in a portable setup.

its just that i spend more money to achieve a more surreal system these additional pitfalls pop up.

thanks all for the continued input.

al d

Does it make an audible difference? Only listening tests can tell.

This is ultimately my point.

Al was being misled to think that DSD was a waste of time because pure DSD didnt exist. It does exist, even if limited and even with the micro-conversion for processing, its the listening that gives the proof of quality.

Last edited:
i am sorry for my statement, I'm not trying to side track this thread. as i get deeper into this hobby, its just never seems to end. i am not a fanatic and i do enjoy listening to my music . and i do this is many file types and mostly in a portable setup.

its just that i spend more money to achieve a more surreal system these additional pitfalls pop up.

thanks all for the continued input.

al d

Its called a rabbit hole. LoL

It will just get more surreal... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing