Triton and Equi=Tech wall panel

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I am thinking to install Equi=tech balance power wall panel. Is Triton or Typhoon compatible with it since the neutral and earth are not on the same voltage level due to balance power?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I am thinking to install Equi=tech balance power wall panel. Is Triton or Typhoon compatible with it since the neutral and earth are not on the same voltage level due to balance power?
Call Shunyata. They are very receptive to questions and will give you the definitive answer. But my guess, the answer is yes.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

The TRITON uses a dual pole electromagnetic breaker. It is compatible with balanced power inputs.

Be sure that ALL of your components are compatible with balanced power and follow ALL of the guidelines set out by Equi=Tech.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The TRITON uses a dual pole electromagnetic breaker. It is compatible with balanced power inputs.

Be sure that ALL of your components are compatible with balanced power and follow ALL of the guidelines set out by Equi=Tech.

good to know. i've got an Equi=tech 10kva 10WQ Wall Panel for my system and have had some curiosity about the Triton-Typhoon and whether with an isolation transformer i would still get a performance boost with those products. i'm just accross Puget Sound from you.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

Great! I just order two Typhoon for my monoblocks. The monoblocks will be each on dedicated line.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
good to know. i've got an Equi=tech 10kva 10WQ Wall Panel for my system and have had some curiosity about the Triton-Typhoon and whether with an isolation transformer i would still get a performance boost with those products. i'm just accross Puget Sound from you.

Mike, you can write to Richard and arrange to come and visit our factory.

richard @ shunyata.com

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Great! I just order two Typhoon for my monoblocks. The monoblocks will be each on dedicated line.

The Typhon is not in the current path and has no breaker because it doesn't need one. And it is also compatible with a balanced power circuit.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
The Typhon is not in the current path and has no breaker because it doesn't need one. And it is also compatible with a balanced power circuit.
My plan is to install Equi=Tech just for my audio circuit. One dedicated line from Equi=Tech is to connect my current Triton & Typhoon for front end. Each monoblock will be on its own dedicated line together with Typhoon on the same duplex.

The panel will be installed in beginning of July.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Isn't the Typhon a Power Strip/Distribution Block with lots of added features?
No. The that is the Triton. The Typhon only adds additional noise reduction.

A question for CGabriel: Would you expect the Equi=Tech to supply any additional benefits beyond what the Triton/Typhon combo provides?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
No. The that is the Triton. The Typhon only adds additional noise reduction.

A question for CGabriel: Would you expect the Equi=Tech to supply any additional benefits beyond what the Triton/Typhon combo provides?

There are technical benefits to using isolation transformers. They can provide a level of protection from noise and impulse disturbances coming from the power grid. However, there are very significant caveats when used for high-end audio systems. DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery) is critical to sonic performance for high-end audio components. The instantaneous current capability of a transformer is determined by its energy storage rating which is directly related to the size of the transformer. For good performance in an audio system the isolation transformer needs to be significantly over-rated beyond what the continuous current requirements are for the system. The bottom line is that the transformer needs to be quite large. If the transformer is too small it will significantly reduce DTCD and cause a noticeable loss of sonic dynamics. Most consumer systems do not need the level of protection provided by isolation transformers. A simple and inexpensive "whole house" surge protection system installed at the electrical panel is quite sufficient.

There are sub-classes of isolation transformers, the balanced power isolation transformers being one. Unlike the normal power supplied to a home outlet, balanced power supplies AC voltage to both the hot and the neutral conductors. This has the potential to cause problems with some equipment and care must be taken in the deployment of such a system. It is too complex for me to explain here. This is why it is somewhat controversial in anything other than commercial installations. The technical benefits over a connventional electrostatic isolation transformer is debatable.

Our factory is located in an industrial park where there are neighboring businesses that use heavy electrical equipment that can cause very significant power line disturbances. For this reason we use an isolation tranformer for the dedicated power circuits that feed our reference audio studio. The tranformer is actually physically larger than the transformer that feeds AC power to our business. It is heavy, large, expensive and it hums. Not something I would want in an audio room.

We have a dedicated electrical distribution panel for the audio room and it is fitted with a whole house surge protection panel.

The Triton and the Typhon provide power distribution and sonic performance enhancement to our reference audio components.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
How can a product that provides power distribution not be in the current path?

Did UL determine that when they tested the unit?

The Triton is a power distribution and power enhancement unit. It has a C19 (20A) input and 8 outlets (US version).

The Typhon has no outlets and does not provide current to any components. It has a single C19 connector that connects to the Triton via a dedicated umbilical cable. It consumes virtually no power. It was designed as a slave unit to the Triton.

Think of the Triton and Typhon as a single product that has two chassis. Similar in some respects to a preamplifier that has a separate power supply chassis.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
There are technical benefits to using isolation transformers. They can provide a level of protection from noise and impulse disturbances coming from the power grid. However, there are very significant caveats when used for high-end audio systems. DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery) is critical to sonic performance for high-end audio components. The instantaneous current capability of a transformer is determined by its energy storage rating which is directly related to the size of the transformer. For good performance in an audio system the isolation transformer needs to be significantly over-rated beyond what the continuous current requirements are for the system. The bottom line is that the transformer needs to be quite large. If the transformer is too small it will significantly reduce DTCD and cause a noticeable loss of sonic dynamics. Most consumer systems do not need the level of protection provided by isolation transformers. A simple and inexpensive "whole house" surge protection system installed at the electrical panel is quite sufficient.

There are sub-classes of isolation transformers, the balanced power isolation transformers being one. Unlike the normal power supplied to a home outlet, balanced power supplies AC voltage to both the hot and the neutral conductors. This has the potential to cause problems with some equipment and care must be taken in the deployment of such a system. It is too complex for me to explain here. This is why it is somewhat controversial in anything other than commercial installations. The technical benefits over a connventional electrostatic isolation transformer is debatable.

Our factory is located in an industrial park where there are neighboring businesses that use heavy electrical equipment that can cause very significant power line disturbances. For this reason we use an isolation tranformer for the dedicated power circuits that feed our reference audio studio. The tranformer is actually physically larger than the transformer that feeds AC power to our business. It is heavy, large, expensive and it hums. Not something I would want in an audio room.

We have a dedicated electrical distribution panel for the audio room and it is fitted with a whole house surge protection panel.

The Triton and the Typhon provide power distribution and sonic performance enhancement to our reference audio components.

So in your view, you think that Equi=Tech wall panel will not help DTCD and actually it will harm it? The panel I am going to install is 10kVA. It should have more than enough reserve for my audio system.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So in your view, you think that Equi=Tech wall panel will not help DTCD and actually it will harm it? The panel I am going to install is 10kVA. It should have more than enough reserve for my audio system.

I've used balanced power from a 10kva Equi=tech panel for 4 years with lots of different types of gear without incident; in fact it has improved performance on everything and my sense is that the power supplies are more stable with it. the darTZeel amplifiers have enjoyed increased dynamic snap and headroom with the 10kva Equi=tech. Bruce Brown uses a 7.5Kva Equi=tech and has considerably more gear in his studio than I have and has had zero issues for 7-8 years.

so while balanced power is not SOP and has the potential to be a problem with gear not properly designed, so far I've never heard of any issues.

I had a whole house 'surge' protection system Calin refers to prior to installing my Equi=tech. the Equi=tech blew it away in performance in every area.....noise, dynamics micro and macro, refinement, harmonic richness, and cohesive musical flow. my sound was less strained and stressed. blacker backgrounds and simply a greater ease and listenablity. and it protects my gear from surges and brief flickers much much better.

and I don't read Calin's comments as any more than reasonable caution about issues beyond his control.....and that any isolation transformer can be undersized and have dynamic power issues. the 'Q' transformers used in the Equi=tech are very robust for their power rating (and very quiet too) and I get no sense of any compression or lack of dynamic snap or energy......and I have a pair of SS 500w into 8 ohms monoblocks and -4- 1000 watt class D subwoofer amps fed by it, as well as multiple sources including a couple of large master recorder tape decks and tt's. the Equi=tech never even gets to breathe hard even at warp 9 SPL's.

at some point I do plan on contacting Richard and seeing if I can demo these products with my Equi=tech to find out for myself if there is another level of performance that can be found. no harm to try it and they are local so no shipping involved either.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Using an Equi=tech wall cabinet, I don't see how electrical delivery can get any better, but I've been wrong before! ;)

It would be interesting to try the Triton/Typhoon in my system to see what it does.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Using an Equi=tech wall cabinet, I don't see how electrical delivery can get any better, but I've been wrong before! ;)

It would be interesting to try the Triton/Typhoon in my system to see what it does.

maybe when I try it I can drop it off at your place and you can try it, or vice versa.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing