Upgrading Genesis II's

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Mine still ‘looked’ like new, but a number of them had sagged slightly such that there was some rubbing. Surrounds still fine, but a couple of the spiders had broken and I’d been babying them for a while. Dog spit up on the back of the right speaker, which I did not notice, put the amp into oscelation, and that was the end of the woofers. Would they have lasted another 10 years … perhaps. Fortunately amp was ok, that’s a whole lot harder (and more expensive) to replace. Bought replacement woofers and wiring, installed them myself, and now no babying.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Mine still ‘looked’ like new, but a number of them had sagged slightly such that there was some rubbing. Surrounds still fine, but a couple of the spiders had broken and I’d been babying them for a while. Dog spit up on the back of the right speaker, which I did not notice, put the amp into oscelation, and that was the end of the woofers. Would they have lasted another 10 years … perhaps. Fortunately amp was ok, that’s a whole lot harder (and more expensive) to replace. Bought replacement woofers and wiring, installed them myself, and now no babying.
Thanks for explaining.

Vin_wang

Sep 18, 2021
Melbourne Australia
Just curious and want to ask, are you replaced the woofers with existing NOS woofers or new one developed by Gary.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
I replaced them with the newer ribbed aluminum drivers sourced from Gary.
Were they a direct drop in replacement and was there anything else needed. Were the accelerometers on the woofers compatible with the amps? Are your speakers the G2 or 200 series.

MAK

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Were they a direct drop in replacement and was there anything else needed. Were the accelerometers on the woofers compatible with the amps? Are your speakers the G2 or 200 series.

MAK
My speakers are 200, in fact right at the boundary of 200/201. They have the bohlender midrange and taller amp ….. but the brown woofers. The replacement woofers are electronically compatible but physically slightly larger. This meant either rerouting the hole (very messy) or face mounting. I’m a reasonably capable woodworker, so I made MDF spacers. FWIW, I have also recently had the woofer amp recapped.

Some years ago I had replaced the older audioquest speaker cables with the shorter, upgraded genesis version. Less likely to put the amp into oscillation. When replacing the woofers, I had elected to also replace the internal woofer wiring harness. Glad I did as the old wiring had an odd configuration, presumably to combat the oscillation issues.

Anyhow, the new setup has been working well and ironically the amp seems to be running cooler, probably the new caps.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
With sagging woofers, when nothing is broken, just turn them 180° and you can live happily for a long time to come.
Yes, that was recommended to me and done about 10 years ago. I did not notice any broken spiders then.

Vin_wang

Sep 18, 2021
Melbourne Australia
Hi Mark,
Just want to ask you about the mid band switch your mentioned previously for crossover.
Part number 212P0112N332RA , is this one a direct drop in replacement for the 3 position switch or we have to modify it.
Regards
Vincent

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Hi Mark,
Just want to ask you about the mid band switch your mentioned previously for crossover.
Part number 212P0112N332RA , is this one a direct drop in replacement for the 3 position switch or we have to modify it.
Regards
Vincent
It is a drop in replacement. Don,t forget to solder the bar across the unused pins on the wafer switch.

MAK

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Which amplifiers have you liked in other systems which you found to be musically satisfying and emotionally engaging?

markhof56

Feb 22, 2021
I use Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse mono amps which work great; they are a hybrid, single tube input stage, solid state output. The Genesis Bass amp is connected using the Genesis Servo bass interconnect so is driven by the output of the amp and not the preamp. All other electronics are likewise Aesthetix Eclipse.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I previously like the valve amplifier with my other speaker. I have tried accuphase p700 to drive genesis, it seems sound better with accuphase.

I, personally, think many tube amplifiers would sound wonderful. For example, an ARC 250 or 750, VAC 200 or 450, VTL 450 or Siegfried II, Jadis JA200 Mk. II, is what I personally would buy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing