Using 2 WiFi routers in media bridge mode to lower noise level

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Maybe it was discussed before, but it’ve recently tried this configuration while auditioning Telegartner switch, and the impact on sound quality was comparable to the use of this very expensive audiophile switch by itself.
The setup is quite simple:
1. You buy a second wifi router with bridge capability (in case of ASUS routers which I currently have this option is called media bridge);
2. The first router is connected to your service provider and is configured in a normal way, it provides wired and WiFi connections to all your home appliances except for your audiophile switch / musical server /streamer /dac;
3. The second router is configured in bridge mode, it uses the fastest available WiFi connection to access your main router, and then you connect your audio device or audiophile switch to this router via ethernet cable.
The idea is that you use air to filter all the noise that originate from your service provider and other devices connected to your main router. Of course it helps if both routers are powered by LPS and are on different power lines.

I’ll have to do some further testing to make sure I am not just imagining things, but so far I am impressed. Please, let me know if this configuration makes sense or if some of you already have tried it.

Reactions: matthias

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I've read of people stringing together multiple switches...2, 3, 4, 5, ... and listening to hear the best configuration. I. Just. Cannot.

Reactions: Daverich4

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I know some people use WiFi bridges to extend networks or to go from WiFi to Ethernet. If it sounds better for you, go with it.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
1. You buy a second wifi router with bridge capability (in case of ASUS routers which I currently have this option is called media bridge);

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
Please, can you exactly disclose which ASUS routers you are using?
Thanks again

Matt

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
Please, can you exactly disclose which ASUS routers you are using?
Thanks again

Matt
I think it does not matter which ASUS router is used as the main one. But the second router should have this media bridge ability. The link below describes how to check that: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043003
I use RT-AC86U as the main router and was using RT-AC1200 as the second one. I do not think, you need a fast WiFi connection for audio. According to some reviews, a 100Mb port on Melco router gives better sound, than a 1Gb port, so I think the simplest model with support of media bridge mode should be a good choice.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
3. The second router is configured in bridge mode, it uses the fastest available WiFi connection to access your main router, and then you connect your audio device or audiophile switch to this router via ethernet cable.
Sorry, I am not really able to understand what the advantage of your configuration is in comparison to a very good wifi extender with ethernet port like this one:

Matt

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Sorry, I am not really able to understand what the advantage of your configuration is in comparison to a very good wifi extender with ethernet port like this one:

Matt
You probably can get the same result with an WiFi extender. But in my case the second router does not broadcast WiFi signal, so you cannot use it to connect other WiFi devices.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
You probably can get the same result with an WiFi extender. But in my case the second router does not broadcast WiFi signal, so you cannot use it to connect other WiFi devices.
You can configure the RE650 in the same way as ethernet output only.
AFAIK, @Blackmorec does use it as well in this configuration.

Matt

Reactions: abeidrov

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
You don't want to broadcast from the extender or router that is connected via ethernet to your audio system. Wi-Fi radios are very noisy and definitely harmful to sound quality.

I can't reach my main system with a cable, so I've been connecting via wi-fi for a few years. I believe that this method; extender or router with broadcast turned off and an upgraded power supply on the extender, is as effective as a fiber connection for shedding digital noise.

Reactions: abeidrov

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
You can configure the RE650 in the same way as ethernet output only.
AFAIK, @Blackmorec does use it as well in this configuration.

Matt
The RE650 is configurable as a "wi-fi to ethernet" bridge and the broadcast radios ca be turned off. The downside of the RE650 is the built-in power supply. Blackmorec did some upgrades on the power supply in his.

I use a TP-Link RE580D, which has an external PSU, so easily replaced. Unfortunately TP-LInk doesn't make that one any longer.

I was using the built-in wi-fi in my exaSound Playpoint, hadn't tried an external bridge out of sheer laziness. Replacing the inboard wi-fi with external was one of best improvements I've ever heard in my computer audio systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: matthias

vert

Oct 26, 2015
You don't want to broadcast from the extender or router that is connected via ethernet to your audio system. Wi-Fi radios are very noisy and definitely harmful to sound quality.
Yes, I turned off the wifi on my cable modem/router that my streamer was connected to. And this made a huge difference.

I connected an access point to the router and I put that access point in another room to broadcast the wifi signal.

Reactions: audiobomber

donkeyshark

Oct 30, 2021
Denmark
Maybe it was discussed before, but it’ve recently tried this configuration while auditioning Telegartner switch, and the impact on sound quality was comparable to the use of this very expensive audiophile switch by itself.
The setup is quite simple:
2. The first router is connected to your service provider and is configured in a normal way, it provides wired and WiFi connections to all your home appliances except for your audiophile switch / musical server /streamer /dac;
The idea is that you use air to filter all the noise that originate from your service provider and other devices connected to your main router. Of course it helps if both routers are powered by LPS and are on different power lines.

I’ll have to do some further testing to make sure I am not just imagining things, but so far I am impressed. Please, let me know if this configuration makes sense or if some of you already have tried it.
Hi, I'm new to this forum as a member but not as a reader. Your post has kind of stuck in my mind. Would you be so kind as to let on how your impressions with your ASUS solution are now after a month or so? It would solve a lot of problems for me if I could go wireless between my main router in another room and a media bridged ASUS close to my dCS streamer in the music room and, still have excellent SQ.

Kind Regards from Copenhagen

dubselect

Aug 29, 2021
I can confirm that adding a second Wi-Fi router to a local audio network improves the sound quality. But to hear advantages of this approach you need to provide clean power for both routers. You need to use power conditioner with independent outlets or replace bundled switch mode power supplies with linear power supplies.
I switched from this configuration - "Linn DSM streamer -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Cisco E4200 -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Synology DS212" - to this one - "Linn DSM streamer -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Cisco E4200 -> Wi-Fi bridge -> Asus RT-N12E C1 -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Synology DS212". Asus router is currently functioning as a repeater. All these devices are connected to separate low-current power outlets of Isotek Evo3 Aquarius.
The difference in the sound quality in my case was quite significant and easily distinguishable. Reduced background noise, improved dynamics and resolution, less smearing in all the audible frequency range. The sound became more involving and less fatiguing. This is certainly not a night and day difference, but still quite significant, it definitely makes it all worth it for me.

harilyar

Nov 18, 2021
A cheap way to test if you can hear these changes is to get a D-link dgs105 switch for 20$, put clean 5v on it and ground it. A simple switch as last before the streamer is what Network Acoustics (with the ENO filter) recommends, and it clearly worked for me. Differences in sound as described above. I also use 2 asus routers in bridge mode, because of necessity, and personally I can't hear the benefit, but I don't have good power supplies on them.

Reactions: cpvniii

dubselect

Aug 29, 2021
I replaced the power supply for the router, connected to the streamer and playing a role of Wi-Fi receiver. It was a simple bundled SMPS (12V). I switched to a chargerlike 6V small linear PS. The improvement in SQ was comparable to introducing Wi-Fi bridge - lower background noise, better dynamics, increased resolution. Again, not a big difference. but still significant. BTW, I replaced RT-N12 router with a different model, which supports 5 GHz and 5-12V input and can function as a media bridge.

Reactions: HK Panda

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I can confirm that adding a second Wi-Fi router to a local audio network improves the sound quality. But to hear advantages of this approach you need to provide clean power for both routers. You need to use power conditioner with independent outlets or replace bundled switch mode power supplies with linear power supplies.
I switched from this configuration - "Linn DSM streamer -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Cisco E4200 -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Synology DS212" - to this one - "Linn DSM streamer -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Cisco E4200 -> Wi-Fi bridge -> Asus RT-N12E C1 -> AQ Vodka RJ/E -> Synology DS212". Asus router is currently functioning as a repeater. All these devices are connected to separate low-current power outlets of Isotek Evo3 Aquarius.
The difference in the sound quality in my case was quite significant and easily distinguishable. Reduced background noise, improved dynamics and resolution, less smearing in all the audible frequency range. The sound became more involving and less fatiguing. This is certainly not a night and day difference, but still quite significant, it definitely makes it all worth it for me.
I have my music server bridged to my player using this technique. Will be adding an LPS for the routers in the very near future so I am encouraged by these comments.

cpvniii

Sep 29, 2013
A cheap way to test if you can hear these changes is to get a D-link dgs105 switch for 20$, put clean 5v on it and ground it. A simple switch as last before the streamer is what Network Acoustics (with the ENO filter) recommends, and it clearly worked for me. Differences in sound as described above. I also use 2 asus routers in bridge mode, because of necessity, and personally I can't hear the benefit, but I don't have good power supplies on them.
This is an excellent suggestion. I did purchase a 105 and then another and together they make a large difference. I was very happily surprised.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
This is my setup. Very happy with the net results.

NAS and Music Server are in one side of the house with a LPS powering the Music server and the Router / Bridge. Bridged router in the music room powered by 12v Battery with Cat 8 going to the DAC. Both the Music Server and Router bridge are silver wire connected to grounding boxes.

Preview Clipping (7?21?04 PM).jpg
Preview Clipping (7?21?23 PM).jpg
Preview Clipping (7?21?50 PM).jpg

Reactions: WladimirMXP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing