VAC 452 iQ review in Stereophile

An extremely enthusiastic subjective review by Michael Fremer - the kind of review that makes people say "I want them!" - followed by a measurement sections showing disappointing very poor measurements of signal to noise ratio by John Atkinson. Should we conclude that poor SNR improves sound quality? ;) The recent review of the new Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems Momentum HD line preamplifier also shows a similar behavior - much improved sonics compared to the previous version, but extremely poor measurements of signal to noise ratio, much worst than the ones of the previous model.

Comments

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Have you owned any of the MBL amps Caesar ? There is a substantial difference as you go up the line. They have the same watts rattling going from 9007 to 9011, but the musical capabilities when driving a difficult speaker are quite different.
There is a world of difference between the 9007 and 9011. I would never buy the 101E unless I could pair it with the 9011.

knghifi

Dec 7, 2014
I thought the Statement stereo were around $14k. Thats less than most gear people are advocating. I bet VAC will sell thousands of them over time. There are a whole lot if Phi200 out there. Those can be had for a steal now.
Try $75K each. $150K for mono configuration.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Here is 4-452 VAC Music Blocks. Put your headphones on and go to 23 minutes into the video.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I watched the whole vid ,nice .
Defintevely a big sounding system .
For a live recording I was really impressed. Usually we have to deal with over compression in so many recordings. But this recording at the show had so much attack when all the instruments came in. One of the best live recordings I have ever heard. I was actually shocked listening to this with headphones because how much of the dynamics you could pick up on even though nothing even remotely close to being in the room. This live engineer did a remarkable job. It may be that they did a stage split and remastered the recording which is most likely. I miss running front of house sound so much. I was so happy mixing concerts and touring. Just not in a place to be able to do that anymore. But memories I will never forget. Touring with the jazz fest was something special mixing for headliners like George Benson and I have always loved mixing for Ottmar Liebert. Live music is king.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Sounds great.
I didnt know you had a lot of expierence on the recording / mixing side .
Comes in very handy while designing speakers etc i suppose .
It does for sure. I know what I am trying to reproduce and honestly feel it has given me advantages in many aspects of speaker design. Yes....been doing this since I was in High School. My dad was a professional musician as so was I. But as much as I wanted to be a rock star, I was much better on the engineering side. A soundman can really make or break a band. And I have mixed for several bands that really didn't have much dynamics to them and therefore created them. But I have mixed for some bands that just did everything right and I didn't have to do much. I really wish I could do all over again.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
ROFLMAO

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I hate you. If you add Luna Negra, I hate you even more!

:p
I have mixed for them so many times it's not even funny. Probably one of my all time favorites. But they have almost always been different from venue to venue. Sometimes just two acoustic guitars and sometime the full band including Jon Gagan. But I have seen a lot of different musicians rotate over the years.

Just imagine 2 acoustic guitars with no compression. I would run a 4 way system most of the time using a split sub mix so the EQ for the subs had zero effect on the rest of the drivers. The clarity was to die for. And the subs gave the acoustics a percussive attack you could feel in your chest when they slapped the body of the guitars. I have some direct off the board recordings of these events probably buried up in my garage. Hopefully this crazy summertime heat here in So Cal hasn't ruined them. Now I got to go look for them and dig my ADAT machine out so I can transfer them. Gives me something to do lol. I haven't used my ADAT 8 track machines in over a decade.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Manila, Philippines
ADAT? I was more of an RDAT guy. You never told me this. I hope if the tapes aren't toast, this OL fan can have a dub :)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
ADAT? I was more of an RDAT guy. You never told me this. I hope if the tapes aren't toast, this OL fan can have a dub :)
Hopefully the 100+ degree weather for months during summer didn't kill them. But back then I would tour with three of these machines so I could record individual tracks pre eq and then I always recorded main right and left tracks. Sometimes it's fun to bleed those in during a mix down. This would actually be a lot of fun for me to do. I may have to transfer a mixdown on to our R2R as well.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 14, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
My old machines
download.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have you tried them with the CH preamp?
Not yet. I have run M1s with the L2 Reference before I got the L1/X1. That was great. Problem was, SE inputs only.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
earlier in this thread i posted this (post #17) relative to some measurements of the dart 468 Mono blocks.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vac-452-iq-review-in-stereophile.30470/#post-643537

i just received some additional clarity in a message from Herve Delatraz on this issue i shared just now on the thread for my 468 mono blocks here;

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-blocks-in-my-system.29522/page-3#post-648874

since i can no longer edit that earlier post, wanted to get this reference into this thread. just FYI.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing