Videos - oomph, tympani, menace, power

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Welcome to the battle for Stalingrad.

Shostakovich 8th Symphony -- Third Movement

edit: Go to youtube to play this video.
Thanks for the video, tima. Shostakovich is always welcome :)

Thinking/typing out loud… Might ASI Sugar Cubes quiet down the room's contribution without killing any dynamic contrasts?

Reactions: Argonaut

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
That Altec setup is one of the most stringent sounding videos I have heard...
Had to look this up as I wasn't sure what you were saying.
The online definition of Stringent reads; Strict, Precise, Exacting or Extremely Limiting.
Could you please expand your explanation of what you hear when listening to that Altec setup (I have Altec's of my own, just need to know if I need to modify mine some).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The online definition of Stringent reads; Strict, Precise, Exacting or Extremely Limiting.
Could you please expand your explanation of what you hear when listening to that Altec setup (I have Altec's of my own, just need to know if I need to modify mine some).
I think he meant strident sounding...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Could he have meant “strident”?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Reactions: bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

I meant like the flavor. It's not a good one.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I meant like the flavor. It's not a good one.
Odd. I suspect English wasn’t your primary language. Either that or you are just being provocative.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

is this the recording or am i wrong?. absolutely brilliant recording

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes -- that is the Shostakovich 8th. My video covers the 3rd Movement (Allegro non troppo). Your video starts at the beginning; its 3rd Movement begins ~ 30:40.
if you don't have the recording yet and you like bruckner, i can highly recommend it. gennady rozhdestvensky bruckner no5 with the orchestra of the ussr of culture.
P.S its not a klemperer sound with vpo;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
if you don't have the recording yet and you like bruckner, i can highly recommend it. gennady rozhdestvensky bruckner no5 with the orchestra of the ussr of culture.
P.S its not a klemperer sound with vpo;)

Thanks for that suggestion. Do you have a catalog number? My initial look suggests it is not on vinyl.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Here...
Bruckner Anton
Symphony No. 5 (2lp) - Rozhdestvensky
MELODIYA - C10 22055 007 - STEREO - USSR - Original of 1985 - 1985 1639_resize.jpeg

Reactions: tima

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Incorrect sir. I just missed the a at the start.
OK, if that is truly the way it sounds to you. Not to me, but we don’t hear everything the same way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing