Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

Very interesting. I have trust you will prove yourself right. Thanks so much for posting about the journey, it's been really educational.

No problem. Hope these pages provide some camaraderie and much needed respite from the endless philosophical debates elsewhere on wbf lol.

No problem. Hope these pages provide some camaraderie and much needed respite from the endless philosophical debates elsewhere on wbf lol.
Dear Bill,congratulations for your speaker and congrats to build,i am good only to connect cables to speaker
But one thing we have in common,the park bench i saw in your garden

Attachments

• FD38A426-4B80-4F46-BB5D-54B4A5B62970.jpeg
    FD38A426-4B80-4F46-BB5D-54B4A5B62970.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Dear Bill,congratulations for your speaker and congrats to build,i am good only to connect cables to speaker
But one thing we have in common,the park bench i saw in your garden

Thank you for visiting these pages, Gian. We likely have much more in common than you think. I am big fan of Italian food and wine (Amarone in particular) for one :D

That spot is a good one in the garden as it is the last spot of sun in the day due to its aspect. As such it gets sat in for gin and tonics a lot.

My wife love garden and would like to visit the English Garden,my first girl friend was English,my preferred team after Milan AC is Manchester United and we have an English dog

Attachments

• 577D9FE5-3BBD-4975-AF54-1E3799F7D1B6.jpeg
    577D9FE5-3BBD-4975-AF54-1E3799F7D1B6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
My wife love garden and would like to visit the English Garden,my first girl friend was English,my preferred team after Milan AC is Manchester United and we have an English dog

You met your wife in school right? You had a girlfriend before that?

Reactions: gian60
When i was 16 i was more than one month in London to study English and foumded one gorl there
I remember i was in King s road

Reactions: bonzo75
When i was 16 i was more than one month in London to study English and foumded one gorl there
I remember i was in King s road

But you were into hifi since you were 13. So you must be the only audiophile who has successfully dated after the addiction started

My first system in 1973
And in 1976 my father bought to me Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2

This looks like a Springer Spaniel. My grandparents owned these their whole life as they are very good to train and for gun dogs. They collect pheasants very well indeed. So I guess I grew up with Springers.

Reactions: gian60
English roses for you, Gian. Smell amazing.
0F014538-E5B0-44CF-AD8A-F37E0AF1742F.jpeg

Bill, I have been following the design and construction of your horn speakers avidly and enviously. I am glad you decided to build horn subs. As I have written before horn bass is the icing on the cake.

Hi Don,

Thank you for your kind words of support - I really appreciate it.

You are right - bass horns are the final frontier without question and to have horn loading top to bottom will massively improve chances of synergy and integration. I have completed the design now and very happy with the modelled performance of the bass subs in Hornresp. They are very flat from 90hz down to 30hz. They are still 100dB at 25hz not that I need that tbh.

I am on hols tomorrow so the build won’t start till early August. I am pretty set on my driver though - the 11” Supravox 285 either as singles or paralleled pairs.

Best.

Bill, I have been following the design and construction of your horn speakers avidly and enviously. I am glad you decided to build horn subs. As I have written before horn bass is the icing on the cake.

Hi Don,

You are right - bass horns are the final frontier without question and to have horn loading top to bottom will massively improve chances of synergy and integration. I have completed the design now and very happy with the modelled performance of the bass subs in Hornresp. They are very flat from 90hz down to 30hz. They are still 100dB at 25hz not that I need that tbh.

I am on hols tomorrow so the build won’t start till early August. I am pretty set on my driver though - the 11” Supravox 285 either as singles or paralleled pairs.

Best.
I would love to learn more about your horn subs, please.
And enjoy your hols

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Hi Don,

Best.
It’s my likely choice for bass driver when I get around to my ultimate TQWTs.

I would love to learn more about your horn subs, please.
And enjoy your hols

Sure Chris. I will document the whole build for you on here so you can see it all unfold (or fold should I say lol)

It’s my likely choice for bass driver when I get around to my ultimate TQWTs.

I think it will make a fantastic TQWT driver tbh. Will be extremely fast, dynamic and musical.

Hi Don,

Best.
I suspect that we are paddling the same canoe up the Orinoco Bill,

• Haha
Bill, how do you intend to time align your horn subs with the upper range horn?

Hi Don,

That is a good question. There are 3 options really.

1. Physically move the bass horn for the difference in path-length between the main horn and the bass horn. This will mean that the bass horns are actually in front of and to the side of the main horns. Considering doing this.

2. Cheat and dsp the whole thing - not for me thanks. I would consider to do this if I was only digital. But I am only analogue.

3. Compromise and calculate the critical distance that the drivers must be within to still act as one. That is no more than 1/2 the wavelength of the critical crossover frequency. If I cross at 80hz (still tbd), that frequency is 14.13 feet. Therefore following this theory my two towers should be within 7ft of each other but then you have to account for difference in path length. So if the horns were the exact same length (which they aren’t!) then they could in theory be 7ft maximally away from each other (forward or backward) @ 80hz.

Please note that I have not tested method 3 - I was taught this by my Russian friend. How it plays out I don’t know.

Best regards!

Reactions: marmota and adyc
Hi Don,

That is a good question. There are 3 options really.

1. Physically move the bass horn for the difference in path-length between the main horn and the bass horn. This will mean that the bass horns are actually in front of and to the side of the main horns. Considering doing this.

2. Cheat and dsp the whole thing - not for me thanks. I would consider to do this if I was only digital. But I am only analogue.

3. Compromise and calculate the critical distance that the drivers must be within to still act as one. That is no more than 1/2 the wavelength of the critical crossover frequency. If I cross at 80hz (still tbd), that frequency is 14.13 feet. Therefore following this theory my two towers should be within 7ft of each other but then you have to account for difference in path length. So if the horns were the exact same length (which they aren’t!) then they could in theory be 7ft maximally away from each other (forward or backward) @ 80hz.

Please note that I have not tested method 3 - I was taught this by my Russian friend. How it plays out I don’t know.

Best regards!
1 is what Stavros did in 2019 Munich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing