Vitus Master Stereo MP-S 201 ... Munich 2014 Debut

Hi Morricab,

No sooner had I posted my question then the answer was posted on Wizard's blog...Apparently, it's up to 200w/8 ohms and 400w/4 ohms of Class A. Also, as mentioned all over this thread is Vitus' "intelligent Class A"....be that as it may.
Well I posted this information in my earlier post which Wizard then copied/pasted pretty much word for word in his blog. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the info is accurate. I like and respect Wizard...he is on the pulse.

I wonder if Vitus has any idea how much damage they are doing to themselves with a stupid piece of paper full of nonsensical specifications?

I have never seen a Vitus product, never mind heard one but in my mind it has always been a supremely built product with typical Scandinavian elegance , pride and a price to match . Now I shall forever doubt their credibility and wonder if they should be consigned to that ever growing group of money grabbers exploiting the insecurities of middle aged men with ever thicker front panels, bigger boxes full of nothing and skyrocketing prices.

Having Dynaudio's "Danes don't lie" slogan mulling in my head I keep wondering why Vitus did this: naiveté, pandering to some stupid EU power consumption law or just an honest mistake?

The fact that they have fans now lashing out blindly at any form of criticism does their cause no good either.

Not a single person here has criticized the amplifier itself, just that piece of paper. God forbid that this amp lands on John Atkinson's or Paul Miller's test bench. Can a distributor, retailer somewhere not whisper in Vitus' ear?

Last edited:
I wonder if Vitus has any idea how much damage they are doing to themselves with a stupid piece of paper full of nonsensical specifications?

I have never seen a Vitus product, never mind heard one but in my mind it has always been a supremely built product with typical Scandinavian elegance , pride and a price to match . Now I shall forever doubt their credibility and wonder if they should be consigned to that ever growing group of money grabbers exploiting the insecurities of middle aged men with ever thicker front panels, bigger boxes full of nothing and skyrocketing prices.

Having Dynaudio's "Danes don't lie" slogan mulling in my head I keep wondering why Vitus did this: naiveté, pandering to some stupid EU power consumption law or just an honest mistake?

The fact that they have fans now lashing out blindly at any form of criticism does their cause no good either.

Not a single person here has criticized the amplifier itself, just that piece of paper. God forbid that this amp lands on John Atkinson's or Paul Miller's test bench. Can a distributor, retailer somewhere not whisper in Vitus' ear?

Excellent Post.

Perhaps they depend on gullibility of some to make some sales. Given the standby power consumption figure of <1W I have my doubts about the claimed 400W class A per channel operation. One or both of these figures are also floating matter.

david

Okay - Whispers heard :)

Even though being a Viking - I am but human - and make mistakes.......

Firstly let me clear some of the "specs"

700/1400w
is NOT in class A they are peak to peak ratings, and we never gave such irrelevant marketing BS specs before, but are "required" to by some of our partners.
The MP-S201 does about 500W / 8 ohms - and no not 500W in class A - it would be stupid - as it's never needed.

550W power consumption
is rms (required by EU standards) and yes here we made a mistake - this is NOT at full power - this is in "idle" with zero load in mode 2 which is high biased AB.
there is a specific reason we have one power cord for each channel - no single mains outlet (by EU standards) will be able to deliver enough current for the MP-S201 to reach its full potential.

So well spotted by some of you - your comments are correct - and should hereby be cleared up. As for the more specific specs on this "subject" we are still working on them. The MP-S201's we had in Munich - was PROTOTYPES - final product will be finished by next week - and then we will do our detailed measurements.

Intelligent Class A
Do we regulate the BIAS - YES
Do we regulate the BIAS as others - NO
All we do, it measure the temperature on the output devices - and regulate the BIAS slightly - to maintain a specific temperature on each device with in a few degrees C to maintain the sound "signature" if you like we are known for.
This is controlled by a high end CPU (Cortex) with our own OS. We do not use DPS's for such control - as DSP's has a different usage all together, but yes - we use a lot of DSP's in other areas - and in products not released yet - these are for future products - and possible under a different brand name all together.

On a personal level - I find little usage for specs. When I first started Vitus Audio - our power rating was listed like:

Enough
More than enough
More than you will ever need..

Power ratings alone tell nothing, and as such useless information

As someone already mentioned (and no we pay NOONE for spreading ANY information) we will remove all specs from all our material in short future for the same reasons.

As for "the sound" it's all subjective - some like them blond, some like brunets - I have my personal taste - and all the products we make follow what I want. When customers has a similar taste and hence love our products - we feel honored - when customers has a different taste and prefers other manufactures products - we obviously respect that :)

As I have said many times - the main reason I started Vitus Audio, was the simple fact - that I could not afford either Gryphon nor Boulder - whom I respect a great deal. We do our own thing - we do not follow trends - we do not "cave in" to make sales - and yet with the specs on this amplifier - I honestly jumped right in...

As I started this post.. I will end it

Rgds
Vitus

Perhaps they depend on gullibility of some to make some sales. Given the standby power consumption figure of <1W I have my doubts about the claimed 400W class A per channel operation. One or both of these figures are also floating matter.

david

We claim nothing/disclosed nothing about rating in Class A. read my post. And we depend on no one's gullibility to make sales - in fact we could sell a lot more if we we did...

Great post...and deeply respected. I have not had the opportunity to hear your amps, but respect those of my friends who own your equipment including the latest Masterpiece series and love them (including one who owned Gryphon before). In fact, I do know what you mean about Gryphon, being an owner myself, and thus it makes me even more interested in hearing your electronics some day. Thank you for taking the time to enter the 'fray' of the 'enthusiasts'.

700/1400w
is NOT in class A they are peak to peak ratings, and we never gave such irrelevant marketing BS specs before, but are "required" to by some of our partners.
The MP-S201 does about 500W / 8 ohms - and no not 500W in class A - it would be stupid - as it's never needed.

550W power consumption
is rms (required by EU standards) and yes here we made a mistake - this is NOT at full power - this is in "idle" with zero load in mode 2 which is high biased AB.
there is a specific reason we have one power cord for each channel - no single mains outlet (by EU standards) will be able to deliver enough current for the MP-S201 to reach its full potential.

So well spotted by some of you - your comments are correct - and should hereby be cleared up. As for the more specific specs on this "subject" we are still working on them. The MP-S201's we had in Munich - was PROTOTYPES - final product will be finished by next week - and then we will do our detailed measurements.

Intelligent Class A
All we do, it measure the temperature on the output devices - and regulate the BIAS slightly - to maintain a specific temperature on each device with in a few degrees C to maintain the sound "signature" if you like we are known for.
This is controlled by a high end CPU (Cortex) with our own OS. We do not use DPS's for such control - as DSP's has a different usage all together, but yes - we use a lot of DSP's in other areas - and in products not released yet - these are for future products - and possible under a different brand name all together.

On a personal level - I find little usage for specs. When I first started Vitus Audio - our power rating was listed like:

Enough
More than enough

As someone already mentioned (and no we pay NOONE for spreading ANY information) we will remove all specs from all our material in short future for the same reasons.

As for "the sound" it's all subjective - some like them blond, some like brunets - I have my personal taste - and all the products we make follow what I want. When customers has a similar taste and hence love our products - we feel honored - when customers has a different taste and prefers other manufactures products - we obviously respect that :)

As I have said many times - the main reason I started Vitus Audio, was the simple fact - that I could not afford either Gryphon nor Boulder - whom I respect a great deal. We do our own thing - we do not follow trends - we do not "cave in" to make sales - and yet with the specs on this amplifier - I honestly jumped right in...

Rgds
Vitus

Good of you to write in Hans Ole Vitus , I hope your explanation suffices to those consumed by paper specs . Terms like 'gullibility ' and other accusations are harsh , especially since they come from a person with industry affiliations , outright claims of a con job without substantial evidence are in bad taste . All that heard the MP-S at Munchen were impressed , me included .

Ok then ..... Let's get back to the music .

700/1400w

550W power consumption

Intelligent Class A

Enough
More than enough

Rgds
Vitus

We still don't have a straight answer, does this amp operate in Class A mode at all or not? Is the allusion to Class A operation also a marketing demand from you partners?

Good of you to write in Hans Ole Vitus , I hope your explanation suffices to those consumed by paper specs . Terms like 'gullibility ' and other accusations are harsh , especially since they come from a person with industry affiliations , and outright claims of a con job are in bad taste . All that heard the MP-S at Munchen were impressed , me included .

Ok then ..... Let's get back to the music .

I am happy to - in fact - this one I asked for with having "unclear" specs - the wonders of beings stressed out prior to a big show ;)

And yes - but getting use to this - we are very succesfull - that creates envy and "enemies" - simple fact of life - but none the less - made my own bed on this one...

We still don't have a straight answer, does this amp operate in Class A mode at all or not? Is the allusion to Class A operation also a marketing demand from you partners?

Regardless of what I answer - I am sure you will continue along the line you have started - so let me just state this - an amp which does not get below 55degrees C in operation, with the size of heatsinks we use - will not be an AB amplifier.

Plenty highly regarded manufactures claim they operate in "pure" class A - but never become HOT..

We build class A amplifiers - but for me it is pointless to continue debating it - and again a very simple reason why we will be removing our specs. We build products for the love of music - not in a battle of meaning less specs which tells absolutely nothing about how the product sounds.

So with respect - I will rest my case and not respond to your meaningless questions.

The upcoming video tells all.

ihjiyih.jpg

Since I am now on this forum - I would be honored if you as members would enlighten me with some of your favorite tracks which you would like us to add to our playlist for future show.

rgds
Vitus

Since I am now on this forum - I would be honored if you as members would enlighten me with some of your favorite tracks which you would like us to add to our playlist for future show.

rgds
Vitus

You may have these , but here's my choice . Must remark on how smooth and flowing the SM-011 sounded with the Gauder Acustic speakers . Good stuff !

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Hans Zimmer - Gladiator Soundtrack
Nils Lofgren – Acoustic Live

Thank you for clearing this up. A simple mistake after all. Danes don't lie, but like all of us they make mistakes. Apologies to have peed on your proud moment.

It is strange that most of us care little for specs until a manufacturer claims something obviously unbelievable.

Thank you for clearing this up. A simple mistake after all. Danes don't lie, but like all of us they make mistakes. Apologies to have peed on your proud moment.

It is strange that most of us care little for specs until a manufacturer claims something obviously unbelievable.

Yes it happens :)

And yes again - my point exactly - some are able to post more "believable" specs out there - but for those of us who knows the math - it's still untrustworthy ;)

You may have these , but here's my choice . Must remark on how smooth and flowing the SM-011 sounded with the Gauder Acustic speakers . Good stuff !

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Alison Krauss & Union Station - Live
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Hans Zimmer - Gladiator Soundtrack
Nils Lofgren – Acoustic Live

Thx :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing