Viv Lab Owners

I read the review on Stereophile. It contains mistakes IMHO and that’s why I sent an e-mail to Stereophile. In short;

I am not sure why this inaccurate information was included in the review. It could have been a direct reference to the manufacturer’s comments, or perhaps it was an oversight in research. Either way, such misinformation is problematic and misleading for readers.

I read the review on Stereophile. It contains mistakes IMHO and that’s why I sent an e-mail to Stereophile. In short;

I am not sure why this inaccurate information was included in the review. It could have been a direct reference to the manufacturer’s comments, or perhaps it was an oversight in research. Either way, such misinformation is problematic and misleading for readers.
Hi which part of the info are you referring to

Hi which part of the info are you referring to
Almost whole review is full of mistakes, but I addressed skating specifically;

The review suggests that the offset angle is responsible for skating and that by eliminating the offset angle and making the tonearm straight, the ViV Labs arm eliminates the skating force. This is incorrect.

In reality, skating is not caused by the offset angle, and making the tonearm straight does not negate the need for anti-skating. Skating occurs due to overhang or underhung geometry. Specifically, straight, underhung arms like the ViV Labs model switch the direction of the skating force after the null point while regular overhang arms have same direction of skating throughout the record. Unlike regular arms with overhang and offset angles, underhung arms only have one null point. Designing an anti-skating mechanism that compensates for this directional switch after the null point is complex. Perhaps this is why the manufacturer chose not to include an anti-skating mechanism, or they may be unaware of this nuance. Nonetheless, it is incorrect to suggest that anti-skating is redundant for this or any similar arm. It is not negligible either.

IMHO it’s more like a manufacturer’s claim than a review.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu