VPI ADS or SDS Speed Controller, Any thoughts?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just wondering what sound improvements members experienced with either of these devices. I'm thinking about purchasing an ADS since SDS are hard to find on the used marketplaces.

Any comments appreciated.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
The ADS at some point after start up, reduces the current therefore the motor is running with less vibration.
Of course the main purpose of ADS is to accurately adjust the rpm

I wouldn’t consider a VPI without the controller, it does improving the performance

Reactions: MJB and Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The ADS at some point after start up, reduces the current therefore the motor is running with less vibration.
Of course the main purpose of ADS is to accurately adjust the rpm

I wouldn’t consider a VPI without the controller, it does improving the performance

Thanks. What sound changes did you hear?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My issue with these is that they only have one channel output. The turntable still has to use a capacitor for phase shift for a secondary output. What’s much better is two sine waves 90* apart from a two channel amplifier driving them. That way you dont have an anemic secondary phase. It does require removing the cap, and making an extra connection.

Reactions: Lee

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thanks. What sound changes did you hear?

You will experience better dynamics, more details, quieter background.
You will have an overall sound improvement

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
You will experience better dynamics, more details, quieter background.
You will have an overall sound improvement

Thanks!

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I have heard that a new generation of VPI controller will be launched soon, perhaps during next AXPONA

Vienna

VIP/Donor

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
There is some speculation that a new ADS product will debut at Axpona. I'm trying to get an answer on that although I'm not sure I need to get a fancy one.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I believe that they will present a better one not a fancier one.
I think the new one will be equipped with feedback and continuous speed adjustment

Let’s see

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I believe that they will present a better one not a fancier one.
I think the new one will be equipped with feedback and continuous speed adjustment

Let’s see

That suggests the controller receives information from the platter and adjusts platter speed. Presumably the ADS works on belt drive systems.

If the updated ADS actually adjusts the motor based on platter speed rather than motor speed, that should be a improvement. Implmentation can make a pretty big difference: for example how many times the platter is read ... per revolution or per second, how frequently the motor is adjusted based on that information, how quick is the motor to respond, etc. There's still the potential latency of the belt versus the feedback to the motor. Nonetheless the new ADS could yield greater accuracy.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I have heard many things unofficially, let’s see which of them will be elaborated at last.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing