Wadax World Premiere at Munich Highend

Greetings everyone, and thank you for your patience as I have been gathering information to answer some of your questions.

One of the biggest questions has been whether Studio Player will offer UPnP, and I am pleased to let you know the answer is yes. We will incorporate DLNA into Studio Player to provide access to music sources external from the capabilities of the Player itself. I do not have a lot of specifics yet, but please understand it will be an incorporated feature. There is no onboard Roon support in Studio Player.

The Player, as demonstrated in Munich, offers a built-in volume control so you can use it like a preamplifier. The volume can be controlled from the unit remote, or if you are streaming, from the device running the streaming app (for example, if I am streaming Tidal from my iPad, I can use the volume control on the iPad to control Studio Player).

The transport utilized is a D&M. The difference between Studio Player and the announced Studio Transport will be several; the Player includes streaming capabilities as well as a DAC. The transport will only be a disc spinner, but it will incorporate the Akasa optical system so it can be used in future across Wadax platforms.

Some have asked how the sound quality compares to the previous Atlantis line (now discontinued) - the Studio line is better in every way from the Atlantis series. Numerous technologies incorporated during the development process for Atlantis Reference have been trickled down into Studio to provide exceptional performance at this price point.

I will keep you up to date with any further info as we get closer to shipping. Please feel free to ask any more questions; if I missed your question, just let me know and I will get back to you.
Thanks Brandon ,
that is really good news and I think makes the unit even more attractive.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Greetings everyone, and thank you for your patience as I have been gathering information to answer some of your questions.

One of the biggest questions has been whether Studio Player will offer UPnP, and I am pleased to let you know the answer is yes. We will incorporate DLNA into Studio Player to provide access to music sources external from the capabilities of the Player itself. I do not have a lot of specifics yet, but please understand it will be an incorporated feature. There is no onboard Roon support in Studio Player.

The Player, as demonstrated in Munich, offers a built-in volume control so you can use it like a preamplifier. The volume can be controlled from the unit remote, or if you are streaming, from the device running the streaming app (for example, if I am streaming Tidal from my iPad, I can use the volume control on the iPad to control Studio Player).

The transport utilized is a D&M. The difference between Studio Player and the announced Studio Transport will be several; the Player includes streaming capabilities as well as a DAC. The transport will only be a disc spinner, but it will incorporate the Akasa optical system so it can be used in future across Wadax platforms.

Some have asked how the sound quality compares to the previous Atlantis line (now discontinued) - the Studio line is better in every way from the Atlantis series. Numerous technologies incorporated during the development process for Atlantis Reference have been trickled down into Studio to provide exceptional performance at this price point.

I will keep you up to date with any further info as we get closer to shipping. Please feel free to ask any more questions; if I missed your question, just let me know and I will get back to you.
Thank you for al the hard work in answering a litany of questions about your tremendous work. Super exciting and definitely thinking about Wadax for next major step.

When you say the Studio Players has the ability to "provide access to music sources external from the Player itself"...does that mean music server as well? Earlier, Mike had kindly said the Studio Player cannot receive music from a music server...which is what I had guessed as well. Nevertheless, since you are online, I thought I would ask the source!

Brandon, thank you for the information. nice to read that the STUDIO PLAYER has more capability than it appeared to have.

unfortunately; when you throw acronyms around such as "UPnP" and "DLNA" some of us are clueless what exactly than means. and what does it not mean?

how do those things transmit to users? which type devices will be able to connect? and which will not? at what resolutions? dsd? maybe an actual example of a piece of gear that might connect and exactly how.

happy to have someone else explain it in English (not more acronyms) for those baby boomers like myself who are scratching their heads.

Brandon, thank you for the information. nice to read that the STUDIO PLAYER has more capability than it appeared to have.

unfortunately; when you throw acronyms around such as "UPnP" and "DLNA" some of us are clueless what exactly than means. and what does it not mean?

how do those things transmit to users? which type devices will be able to connect? and which will not? at what resolutions? dsd? maybe an actual example of a piece of gear that might connect and exactly how.

happy to have someone else explain it in English (not more acronyms) for those baby boomers like myself who are scratching their heads.
The UPnP component of Studio Player is in its final testing; we only briefly discussed it today, and I will have more info regarding external connectivity in the next couple of weeks. UPnP allows access to files stored on a local NAS drive or other network storage device. I should have more details regarding connectivity as well as how it works in the next week or two; I will let you know the information as I receive it. And for clarity in LL21's question, it will not be a music server.

The UPnP component of Studio Player is in its final testing; we only briefly discussed it today, and I will have more info regarding external connectivity in the next couple of weeks. UPnP allows access to files stored on a local NAS drive or other network storage device. I should have more details regarding connectivity as well as how it works in the next week or two; I will let you know the information as I receive it. And for clarity in LL21's question, it will not be a music server.
thanks. i'll wait to hear more details, as i'm not clear quite yet exactly how one would manage those files? where would you control them? i have a couple of local NAS units, but they need some way to play the files such as Roon. in the absence of a file management system, how is that done through UPnP or DLNA?

not looking for answers now, but at some point.

obviously i have the Wadax Ref server with Roon, so i'm asking for other's that are clueless like me.

thanks. i'll wait to hear more details, as i'm not clear quite yet exactly how one would manage those files? where would you control them? i have a couple of local NAS units, but they need some way to play the files such as Roon. in the absence of a file management system, how is that done through UPnP or DLNA?

not looking for answers now, but at some point.

obviously i have the Wadax Ref server with Roon, so i'm asking for other's that are clueless like me.
The best way to control remote file playing is via a third party app such as Audinirvana, JRiver, or something similar.

ok, now you are connecting the dots for some of us. thank you.

Mike, if you have a synology NAS you could run DS Audio (a synology app) to play music. I can’t say that is a great sounding solution but it will work.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Hi, just joined the forum, after procrastinating about joining for some time, this exciting new player finally prompted me into action.

Thank's to those that have already posted valuable information here, my question will most certainly be obvious, but as someone with a severe visual impairment I am unable to view any photographs or diagrams of the Studio player, my particular interest is in the cd loading mechanism. Am I correct in thinking this unit is equipped with the D and M mechanism, if my assumption is correct are discs loaded via a sliding tray?.

Thank's to anyone who can help.

Rich

Last edited:

This is great news as I have been asking about this since the Studio Player was launched. Enabling the Studio Player's Media Renderer (UPnP/DLNA) will enable users to play files off of their respective local networks via a. host of applications even Roon. While it may not be Roon tested it should be able to see the Studio Player on the network as an "Other Network Device" and make use of a "Chromecast wrapper" (for lack of a better term) to connect to the Studio Player (its DAC). There's no reason why it should not work with any software which sees renderers on the network, i,e, Audirvana, As for NAS (network-attached storage) that should not make any difference. For those with QNAP-branded hardware, there's a Roon app in their software/package library last I checked. For those with SYNOLOGY devices, there is a brute-force "kludge" workaround but that can get involved and is not for the faint of heart.

Hi, just joined the forum, after procrastinating about joining for some time, this exciting new player finally prompted me into action.

Thank's to those that have already posted valuable information here, my question will most certainly be obvious, but as someone with a severe visual impairment I am unable to view any photographs or diagrams of the Studio player, my particular interest is in the cd loading mechanism. Am I correct in thinking this unit is equipped with the DNM mechanism, if my assumption is correct are discs loaded via a sliding tray?..

Rich
hi Rich, welcome to What's Best Forum. enjoy!

yes, a front mounted sliding tray.

Reactions: Rich J

Thank's to those that have already posted valuable information here, my question will most certainly be obvious, but as someone with a severe visual impairment I am unable to view any photographs or diagrams of the Studio player, my particular interest is in the cd loading mechanism. Am I correct in thinking this unit is equipped with the D and M mechanism, if my assumption is correct are discs loaded via a sliding tray?.

Rich
yes that is correct. Its very straightfoward to load it.

The best way to control remote file playing is via a third party app such as Audinirvana, JRiver, or something similar.
Thank you...so from someone who still plays only redbook CDs and does not have a clue...you are saying I could get a music server (Wadax or Taiko for example), run that with its own software program or one of the ones above you mention in order to be able select the music...and it would then connect into the back of the Studio Player to its DAC and then come out thru the Studio Player's analog outputs into the preamp?

If I understand it’s a end point how ever we call it
I know end point is a roon name but it says simply
It can be Seen as a network Dac
Correct me if I’m mistaken
To me this is an amazing player and puts plenty of nails in the competition I think
At the cost of other players of media , the features seem to be way beyond even what we thought

Elliot you made a great impression on me and now this product is a true one box solution
now place on a shelf and wadax and others do the updates. A very smart design
thanks all

A Big thanks to Elliot who has been a very supportive guide in an industry filled with less than ideal people

I’ve grown to learn and appreciate him !!

hi Rich, welcome to What's Best Forum. enjoy!

yes, a front mounted sliding tray.

Thank you Mike, I have pretty much read all of your Wadax posts, so very informative,
To be perfectly frank, I could never have envisaged being able to afford a Wadax component.

thank's to the guys at Wadax and the introduction of the Studio line a more affordable option and a possibility to listen to Wadax in my own listening room.
yes that is correct. Its very straightfoward to load it.

Thank's Elliot,, I only play physical RBCD, did you listen to the Studio Player playing CD or SACD? in Munich?.

Rich
Welcome to WBF, Rich!

Thank you Mike, I have pretty much read all of your Wadax posts, so very informative,
To be perfectly frank, I could never have envisaged being able to afford a Wadax component.

thank's to the guys at Wadax and the introduction of the Studio line a more affordable option and a possibility to listen to Wadax in my own listening room.

Thank's Elliot,, I only play physical RBCD, did you listen to the Studio Player playing CD or SACD? in Munich?.
I did but mostly streaming as that was how for the most prtart they were being used. I was only a listener and had no control of the music this year :)

I did but mostly streaming as that was how for the most prtart they were being used. I was only a listener and had no control of the music this year :)

Thank's again, I fully appreciate listening conditions at the show were hardly ideal, did you discern any particular differences in SQ between disc playback and streaming, I realise direct comparisons weren't possible, but any impressions you were able to form would be very helpful.

Thank's again, I fully appreciate listening conditions at the show were hardly ideal, did you discern any particular differences in SQ between disc playback and streaming, I realise direct comparisons weren't possible, but any impressions you were able to form would be very helpful.
I can't give you an answer as almost all the music played was streaming. I did get to see and listen to a disc for a short time. I listened extensively to straming via Tidal in bot the Wadax room ( no preamp) and in the Gobel room with preamp. IMPO this is going to be a very succesful and in high demand item. It has a lot of buzz and I dont know anyone that heard it that walked away without good things to say about the sound.
Until I actually get one and have the chance to do what you are asking I can't comment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing