Warped Records

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
The interface between the record and my turntable platter flattens any warps that I have so far encountered with my new turntable.
Even severe warps are flattened enough for play when using my peripheral ring. Minor warps are no problem at all for the ring.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Even severe warps are flattened enough for play when using my peripheral ring. Minor warps are no problem at all for the ring.
I have been thinking for some time to buy the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp for my XL DC. But for what it is, the RRP cost is excessive (£1,250 for the 1.3kg ring and £1,500 for the heavier 2kg ring which was only for the Stabi M and XL DC and no longer in production but still being sold by some Kuzma Dealers..maybe old new stock).

However an ORB Record Flattener (the + model only being slightly more expensive than the 2kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp) would also give me flat records to put on my Keith Monks Classic RCM which would most probably give me a better cleaning process (sucking up the fluid more effectively as the vacuum arm wouldn't be moving up and down like a yo yo due to warped records) and flat records for any other non Kuzma TT I may buy in the future.

The plus for the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp is that I have no fear of damaging any records (especialy some of my expensive to replace records) from using a Record Flattener if the flattening process goes wrong.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have been thinking for some time to buy the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp for my XL DC. But for what it is, the RRP cost is excessive (£1,250 for the 1.3kg ring and £1,500 for the heavier 2kg ring which was only for the Stabi M and XL DC and no longer in production but still being sold by some Kuzma Dealers..maybe old new stock).

However an ORB Record Flattener (the + model only being slightly more expensive than the 2kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp) would also give me flat records to put on my Keith Monks Classic RCM which would most probably give me a better cleaning process (sucking up the fluid more effectively as the vacuum arm wouldn't be moving up and down like a yo yo due to warped records) and flat records for any other non Kuzma TT I may buy in the future.

The plus for the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp is that I have no fear of damaging any records (especialy some of my expensive to replace records) from using a Record Flattener if the flattening process goes wrong.
The other consideration I am thinking about is the sound of the music using the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp along with the Kuzma Ebony Record Clamp (doesn't actually clamp the record due to it's light weight and is not screwed down onto the record label) (this combination is recommended by Franc Kuzma himself) may be superior to the sound I would get with a flattened record using the ORB and using the Kuzma heavy screw down XL DC TT record clamp (that I am currently using with neoprene rubber spindle washers).

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The other consideration I am thinking about is the sound of the music using the Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp along with the Kuzma Ebony Record Clamp (doesn't actually clamp the record due to it's light weight and is not screwed down onto the record label) (this combination is recommended by Franc Kuzma himself) may be superior to the sound I would get with a flattened record using the ORB and using the Kuzma heavy screw down XL DC TT record clamp (that I am currently using with neoprene rubber spindle washers).
Forgot to mention that the UK RRP for the Kuzma Ebony Record Clamp (£1,650) is also very expensive for what it is.

I guess for the best sound I could achieve regarding my currently warped records with my Kuzma TT set-up and effectively cleaning my warped records is to have all three items, which would be a UK RRP of approx. £4,700 (for the NOS 2kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp) or approx. £4,450 (for the 1.3kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp that is currently in production).....gulp..... o_O :oops:.......Total cost for me for purchasing all three items (in one go) amount to quite a lot of money to deal with warped records with the hope the sound quality is increased to what I already am hearing ! :rolleyes:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I just bought a half dozen new LPs this week from local record stores. Nothing fancy, pressing wise.... a few new LPs and 2 reissues. All perfectly flat.

I've used the Vinyl Flat with great results for my warped LPs. Obviously not going to get ORB or DF-02/3 results but it will make an unplayable LP 90% flat.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Forgot to mention that the UK RRP for the Kuzma Ebony Record Clamp (£1,650) is also very expensive for what it is.

I guess for the best sound I could achieve regarding my currently warped records with my Kuzma TT set-up and effectively cleaning my warped records is to have all three items, which would be a UK RRP of approx. £4,700 (for the NOS 2kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp) or approx. £4,450 (for the 1.3kg Kuzma Outer Bronze Ring Clamp that is currently in production).....gulp..... o_O :oops:.......Total cost for me for purchasing all three items (in one go) amount to quite a lot of money to deal with warped records with the hope the sound quality is increased to what I already am hearing ! :rolleyes:
Not to mention extra steps in playing an LP. I used to do an outer ring and clamp and I'm thrilled to not be doing that anymore with my Garrard 401 which just likes records on the stock mat without anything else.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A long long time ago when my main turntable was a VPI HRX, I bought up a lot (as in a lot/set not A LOT/plenty LOL) of records from a dear record dealer friend that would have been rated NM/NM for a big discount because they were warped. The outer ring made this possible. Later on I moved to a TW AC-3. That and I once dropped my ring close to my foot. Don't ask LOL I obviously went for the TW because I preferred the TW's more open presentation but I did give up some drive and of course the periphery ring. Some years after that I got my TechDAS. I was worried because some people were saying that vacuum hold down like those used by Luxman in the 80's would press dirt into the vinyl but people here with Micro-Seikis assured that that vacuum lay out was safe.

Over 10 years later I've had no LPs damaged and I continue to avail of the availability of records that have warps untenable on tables without rings or VHD. Despite my ability to go with the AF1P and Covid Scuttling my AF0 dreams, I continue to be happy with the old girl. I performed the upgrades myself in minutes and still play with my different sub platters.

On the LP side of things I would say that the vast majority of the warped records I have acquired were victims of the shrink wrap. This is especially true of sealed LPs from new to those going back to the 60s.

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Not to mention extra steps in playing an LP. I used to do an outer ring and clamp and I'm thrilled to not be doing that anymore with my Garrard 401 which just likes records on the stock mat without anything else.
The extra preparation steps before the stylus hits the record grooves doesn't bother me, in fact I like all of the preparation steps I currently undertake i.e.;

1) Choose appropriate thickness neoprene rubber platter spindle washer(s) (from 0.5mm to 2mm (sometimes using more than one in thickness combinations depending on record thickness etc. Note:- I have learnt which particular records needs a certain thickness of washer(s)and noted this for future record playing). (These neoprene rubber washers (8mm internal diameter for spindle, 30mm outer diameter allows the record to be completely flattened onto the platter surface. I bought them off Amazon at a very cheap price i.e. much much cheaper than the Kuzma spindle washers). Being neoprene rubber, they don't damage the record label either - like some metal washers might do). Place spindle washer over platter spindle.
2) Carefully and slowly (to avoid any static being introduced onto record) take record (that has been previously cleaned with a Keith Monks Classic RCM before being put into a new anti-static sleeve and been played for the first time) from anti-static inner sleeve holding one edge with an anti-static micro cloth
3) Carefully place record onto the TT platter (which is being placed on top of the chosen thickness spindle washer).
4) Carefully screw down Kuzma XL DC brass record clamp onto record label until all surface area of the record is in contact with the platter (checked by lightly tapping record surface at various points with a finger tapping on an anti-static micro fibre cloth (to avoid getting any grease , dirt etc. transfer from the finger).
5) Check static (in kV) on record surface with a Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter. If static is too high (i.e. 0.3kV and above) go to step 6) below. If not, go to step 8) below.
6) Use a Milty Zerostat 3 antistatic gun at the platter mounted record (firing in three triangular positions - 4 trigger squeezes per position).
7) Re-check static (in kV) on record surface with the Simco FMX-003. If still not lower than 0.3kV re-use Milty gun.
8) Using a Giotto manual hand air blower, clear away any loose surface dust from the record (Note:- try not to use my Audioquest Carbon Fibre Brush as this re-introduces static to the record surface),
9) Spin the platter (this appears to reduce any airborne dust from settling / re-settling on the record surface (most probably due to air movement moving away from the platter as it spins due to it's spinning movement forces etc.)
10) Look at my stylus for dirt with my Acoustical Systems magnifying glass, and clean stylus with a carbon fibre stylus cleaning brush from any dust clinging to the stylus
11) Lower tonearm onto the record surface and enjoy the music (hopefully with little to none pops and clicks and low record noise).

I undertake these steps every time I play a record and I am not bothered the time it takes as I want to listen to the best sound possible from my vinyl.

Note:- That I have been making extensive tests for static on record surfaces using the Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter (invaluable for checking surface static on any surface) undertaking various record anti-static preparations from taking the record out of it's record sleeve to placing onto the platter, to removing from the platter and putting back into it's record sleeve. This has led me to now know the best procedure I need to undertake to keep record surface static build up to a minimum.
When my CSPort IME1 Static Eliminator arrives, I will be undertaking further tests with this device using my Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter.

Reactions: Fishfood

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A long long time ago when my main turntable was a VPI HRX, I bought up a lot (as in a lot/set not A LOT/plenty LOL) of records from a dear record dealer friend that would have been rated NM/NM for a big discount because they were warped. T
A very good point highlighting a sometimes overlooked benefit where ones turntable is equipped with a full platter vacuum system In that often good quality recordings ,sadly warped , can be picked up for peanuts and occasionally what would have been a very expensive pressing at a most advantageous price.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
The extra preparation steps before the stylus hits the record grooves doesn't bother me, in fact I like all of the preparation steps I currently undertake i.e.;

1) Choose appropriate thickness neoprene rubber platter spindle washer(s) (from 0.5mm to 2mm (sometimes using more than one in thickness combinations depending on record thickness etc. Note:- I have learnt which particular records needs a certain thickness of washer(s)and noted this for future record playing). (These neoprene rubber washers (8mm internal diameter for spindle, 30mm outer diameter allows the record to be completely flattened onto the platter surface. I bought them off Amazon at a very cheap price i.e. much much cheaper than the Kuzma spindle washers). Being neoprene rubber, they don't damage the record label either - like some metal washers might do). Place spindle washer over platter spindle.
2) Carefully and slowly (to avoid any static being introduced onto record) take record (that has been previously cleaned with a Keith Monks Classic RCM before being put into a new anti-static sleeve and been played for the first time) from anti-static inner sleeve holding one edge with an anti-static micro cloth
3) Carefully place record onto the TT platter (which is being placed on top of the chosen thickness spindle washer).
4) Carefully screw down Kuzma XL DC brass record clamp onto record label until all surface area of the record is in contact with the platter (checked by lightly tapping record surface at various points with a finger tapping on an anti-static micro fibre cloth (to avoid getting any grease , dirt etc. transfer from the finger).
5) Check static (in kV) on record surface with a Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter. If static is too high (i.e. 0.3kV and above) go to step 6) below. If not, go to step 8) below.
6) Use a Milty Zerostat 3 antistatic gun at the platter mounted record (firing in three triangular positions - 4 trigger squeezes per position).
7) Re-check static (in kV) on record surface with the Simco FMX-003. If still not lower than 0.3kV re-use Milty gun.
8) Using a Giotto manual hand air blower, clear away any loose surface dust from the record (Note:- try not to use my Audioquest Carbon Fibre Brush as this re-introduces static to the record surface),
9) Spin the platter (this appears to reduce any airborne dust from settling / re-settling on the record surface (most probably due to air movement moving away from the platter as it spins due to it's spinning movement forces etc.)
10) Look at my stylus for dirt with my Acoustical Systems magnifying glass, and clean stylus with a carbon fibre stylus cleaning brush from any dust clinging to the stylus
11) Lower tonearm onto the record surface and enjoy the music (hopefully with little to none pops and clicks and low record noise).

I undertake these steps every time I play a record and I am not bothered the time it takes as I want to listen to the best sound possible from my vinyl.

Note:- That I have been making extensive tests for static on record surfaces using the Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter (invaluable for checking surface static on any surface) undertaking various record anti-static preparations from taking the record out of it's record sleeve to placing onto the platter, to removing from the platter and putting back into it's record sleeve. This has led me to now know the best procedure I need to undertake to keep record surface static build up to a minimum.
When my CSPort IME1 Static Eliminator arrives, I will be undertaking further tests with this device using my Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Tester / Field Meter.

You are a very patient man :)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
You are a very patient man :)
Or a crazy one lol :D.... One of my traits (good and bad) is I am a bit of a perfectionist ! lol :cool:

Reactions: Fishfood

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A very good point highlighting a sometimes overlooked benefit where ones turntable is equipped with a full platter vacuum system In that often good quality recordings ,sadly warped , can be picked up for peanuts and occasionally what would have been a very expensive pressing at a most advantageous price.
Yessir! It works out very well for both buyer and seller :)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

I tried to listen a heavily wrapped LP yesterday that has been through AFI Flat 2 record flattener 3 times and it was still unlistenable. Then I put on a borrowed Kuzma outer ring (+ the ebony clamp), and the record played perfectly. I was never interested in playing records with outer ring but in such cases it is worthwhile.

BTW, Kuzma has just introduced a new record clamp made from mopane wood…

IMG_2899.jpeg

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Shameless plug for VYGER Atlantis or Indian—which have vacuum hold down and no need for ring clamps or record weights. I suppose there will be some records still so warped the vacuum wouldn't suck on 'em enough, but in that case a ring might not flatten it either.

And yes, I said shameless, I represent VYGER here on west coast USA. :cool:

Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Ebony is actually plentiful and being managed with an eye on sustainability.

It’s good news but for us ebony is getting scarce and hard to find every day. In 2016 I bought many ebony stuff when I was living in RSA such as masks, decorative goods etc. I don’t think they’re available now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing