Warped Records

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I’m buying records since 1995. I have both old and newly pressed records. Almost all newly pressed records (lets say 2000 and later) are warped. Some of them are very lightly warped, not a big problem. On the other hand almost all old records are perfectly flat. I wonder how could they manage to manufacture warped records with today’s technology while 50 years old ones were perfectly flat. What do you think about this?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think audiophiles buying new records have a warped mind that gets transferred

MaxwellsEq

Mar 18, 2023
I bought records for several decades before the 1990s. Quite a few were warped. Some were so bad I took them back. But it always was a risk with the technology, since the hole has to be perfect to minimise wobbly notes and timing, whilst the record needs to be flat to minimise unnecessary infrasonic input to the system.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think audiophiles buying new records have a warped mind that gets transferred

That's cheeky. Depends on what counts as 'new'.

There are some reissues with great music that we would not otherwise hear without buying new. Classic Records, Cisco.

Where I'm a bit wary of warp is with mint originals from 60s through 80s in shrink wrap.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I do suspect shrink wrap too. My thoughts regarding new pressing plants:
- RTI: always have slight warp,
- QRP: most of them almost flat but occasionally came across very warped ones
- Pallas: usually warped
- Optimal: some of them perfectly flat some of them very warped. hit and miss.
- GZ Media: all warped

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I do suspect shrink wrap too. My thoughts regarding new pressing plants:
- RTI: always have slight warp,
- QRP: most of them almost flat but occasionally came across very warped ones
- Pallas: usually warped
- Optimal: some of them perfectly flat some of them very warped. hit and miss.
- GZ Media: all warped

The 180g and 200g from AP/QRP are almost always flat. I tend to not be a fan of heavy thick records.

I've found Speakers Corner are pretty good. Don't know who does their pressing. Probably in Germany.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
The 180g and 200g from AP/QRP are almost always flat. I tend to not be a fan of heavy thick records.
I agree. QRP is alright. There shouldn’t be a problem like warped records at all when 50 years old mass produced ones were flat.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I buy a lot of new release vinyl and lots are a dished or warped - some a lot, some a little. I feel your pain.

The main reason imo is stupid as fcuk heavy 180/200gm vinyl and the record manufacturers not allowing the proper 8 - 10 hours for the pressings to dry correctly.
120/140gm takes about 3 hours - large difference.

But, it doesn’t bother me as 13 years ago I bought an Orb DF-02 record flattener.

The single BEST hifi purchase I have ever made.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
How about those center holes too? Most new vinyl, even the expensive stuff, looks like the hole was cut with a sawzall.
Yes and I have found a lot are undersized as well !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I buy a lot of new release vinyl and lots are a dished or warped - some a lot, some a little. I feel your pain.

The main reason imo is stupid as fcuk heavy 180/200gm vinyl and the record manufacturers not allowing the proper 8 - 10 hours for the pressings to dry correctly.
120/140gm takes about 3 hours - large difference.

But, it doesn’t bother me as 13 years ago I bought an Orb DF-02 record flattener.

The single BEST hifi purchase I have ever made.
Have you ever noticed your Orb DF-02 Record Flattener changing the grooves of the record that alters the sound ?

I am just thinking that changing the state of an LP from warped to flat must also do something to those fine grooves i.e. widen them, narrow them extend them etc. ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I bought Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day (their last live Concert in 2007 at Wembley Stadium, UK) LP Box Set and David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk LP Box Set a few years back that cost me £250 each.
They were so called brand new and sealed, but they both had some warped LPs.
I was gutted after spending so much money on them !

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Have you ever noticed your Orb DF-02 Record Flattener changing the grooves of the record that alters the sound ?

I am just thinking that changing the state of an LP from warped to flat must also do something to those fine grooves i.e. widen them, narrow them extend them etc. ?
You will know when you have gone too far and melted it. I’ve done a handful. Different vinyl formulations also behave very differently. But if you flatten a warped record without too much heat I hear no differences.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Never.

that is not how controlled heating / flattening / cooling works. If the record is too warped where the grooves are deformed, it cannot change that and will still be unplayable. It does not change the grooves in any way.

Orb have been making professional record flatteners for over 30 years - they make them for Air Tight and Furutech as well.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just looking online and see there are currently three versions of the ORB Record Flattener i.e. the 'DF-01IA ', the 'DF-01IA+' and the 'DF-02'.

In the UK, the DF-02 is quite a bit more expensive than the DF-0IA and the DF-01IA+ (i.e. approx. +£1,000 from the DF-0IA and approx. +£800 from the DF-01A+).

Does anybody have experience of the DF-01IA / DF01IA+ vs the DF-02 and whether the extra financial layout for the DF-02 is worth it ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The interface between the record and my turntable platter flattens any warps that I have so far encountered with my new turntable.
Yes, I have managed to do the same with my Kuzma XL DC TT using small (inner diameter 8mm for spindle, outer diameter 30mm) of various thicknesses (0.5mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm and 2mm) flat neoprene rubber washers of various thickness combinations (depending on record thickness, amount of warp etc.) over the spindle and below the record and the original screw on record clamp.
I screw the clamp down just enough so it compresses the record to the platter so that when I tap the top of the record at various locations I can hear it is touching the platter across the record surface to the outside of the platter edge.
This seems to work quite well in overcoming some of my warped records.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just looking online and see there are currently three versions of the ORB Record Flattener i.e. the 'DF-01IA ', the 'DF-01IA+' and the 'DF-02'.

In the UK, the DF-02 is quite a bit more expensive than the DF-0IA and the DF-01IA+ (i.e. approx. +£1,000 from the DF-0IA and approx. +£800 from the DF-01A+).

Does anybody have experience of the DF-01IA / DF01IA+ vs the DF-02 and whether the extra financial layout for the DF-02 is worth it ?
Correction the 'DF-02' is marketed under the 'Furutech' company name not 'ORB' company name.

After reading about the ORB on other forum sites, it appears the Furutech DF-02 is an older model to the ORB DF-01IA and DF-01IA+ with the DF-01IA+ appearing to be the latest model from ORB.

Therefore it's interesting why the Furutech DF-02 is still being advertised in the UK and why is it more expensive than the later (and guess better technology) ORB DF-01IA and DF-01IA+ ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Correction the 'DF-02' is marketed under the 'Furutech' company name not 'ORB' company name.

After reading about the ORB on other forum sites, it appears the Furutech DF-02 is an older model to the ORB DF-01IA and DF-01IA+ with the DF-01IA+ appearing to be the latest model from ORB.

Therefore it's interesting why the Furutech DF-02 is still being advertised in the UK and why is it more expensive than the later (and guess better technology) ORB DF-01IA and DF-01IA+ ?

They all basically will do the same job. The DF-02 can be stood up vertically and used if you need space. Orb used to make a DF-03 a few years back.

I believe Orb only currently manufacture the two DF-01 models.

Buy what you can afford

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing