What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Of those Grumiaux will be far superior.

Many other older performances from Milstein, Devy Erlih, Henryk szeryng are excellent. In modern recordings the Sigiswald Kujiken on Harmonia Mundi is excellent you might want to check if a CD is available..

Btw I watched Faust, Hahn, Podger and Ehnes play in various concerts though not the partitas.
Agree!
My 3 favorites are Grumiaux, Szeryng & Milstein.
:)

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree!
My 3 favorites are Grumiaux, Szeryng & Milstein.
:)

The best Chaconne and most haunting piece of violin I heard was Haitto, but a very rare LP. Almost not available. The Kogan chaconne is also great there is a live one on Melodiya. Live I had a heard the chaconne played on cello it was one of the best shows I ever went to.

Reactions: CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Of those Grumiaux will be far superior.

Many other older performances from Milstein, Devy Erlih, Henryk szeryng are excellent. In modern recordings the Sigiswald Kujiken on Harmonia Mundi is excellent you might want to check if a CD is available..

Btw I watched Faust, Hahn, Podger and Ehnes play in various concerts though not the partitas.
Thanks! I do like the Grumiaux quite a lot, and have only recently discovered Hilary Hahn's version of this work which shows promise.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Good morning one and all,

This morning I have settled in to listen to Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 1, 14 & 15; Chamber Symphony in C Minor, performed by Boston Symphony Orchestra. Andris Nelsons has the Conn. 2hrs 37min play time.

The Chamber Symphony arrangement is by Barshai.

There is a booklet (Liner Notes) available on Primephonic. Good read. Far too lengthy to cut and past here, and in any event I am sure the historical context of Shostakovich, his Symphonies, and his life generally within the USSR (and under the beast Stalin), is well known among regular contributors to these pages.

The BSO is a remarkable orchestra, and the recording is first rate - shout out to the engineers and production team: Shawn Murphy, Nick Squire, Tim Martyn et al. Kudos.

Released: 25 June 2021

Recorded: February 2018, November 2018, April 2019, January 2020

Recording location: Boston: Symphony Hall

Catalogue: Number is not immediately at hand - apologies.

IMG_0060 (1).jpeg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Good morning one and all,

This morning I have settled in to listen to Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 1, 14 & 15; Chamber Symphony in C Minor, performed by Boston Symphony Orchestra. Andris Nelsons has the Conn. 2hrs 37min play time.

The Chamber Symphony arrangement is by Barshai.

There is a booklet (Liner Notes) available on Primephonic. Good read. Far too lengthy to cut and past here, and in any event I am sure the historical context of Shostakovich, his Symphonies, and his life generally within the USSR (and under the beast Stalin), is well known among regular contributors to these pages.

The BSO is a remarkable orchestra, and the recording is first rate - shout out to the engineers and production team: Shawn Murphy, Nick Squire, Tim Martyn et al. Kudos.

Released: 25 June 2021

Recorded: February 2018, November 2018, April 2019, January 2020

Recording location: Boston: Symphony Hall

Catalogue: Number is not immediately at hand - apologies.

View attachment 79650
Hi Andrew,
A friend recommends this sacd boxset to me last week.

What's your view?
Thanks!

IMG-20210621-WA0037~2.jpg

Reactions: rando

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Andrew,
A friend recommends this sacd boxset to me last week.

What's your view?
Thanks!

View attachment 79652

Good afternoon!

I am sorry but I have not heard these yet. I am happy to report they are on Primephonic (under a different cover), so shall enjoy them over the next day or so - thanks for the share.

IMG_0062.jpeg

I know Mr. Wigglesworth is a conductor known for his love of the Russians, and Shostakovich in particular. BIS is usually a very reliable label.

IMHO it is rare these days to find a poor performance - especially with the modern recordings. In my case if I don't like something or other, it is usually just my own personal preferences coming to the fore.

Please let me know your thoughts once you have a listen.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Looking at the BIS site it appears this boxset offers new disc printings which don't align with pairings on the SACD releases. With exception of release you chose combining the first three symphonies.

Everything on Primephonic should be identical except the five earliest recordings. Symphony Nos. 5, 6, 7, 10, and 14.

Also receiving acclaim throughout the series were the recordings themselves and their superior sound quality, an aspect that has been enhanced even further for this boxed set, now that the five symphonies that were released first, and on CD, have been re-mastered for Surround Sound and SACD to match the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Well, I count this within the modern Classical genre, and for me Icelandic composer, multi-instrumentalist, and producer Ólafur Arnalds is one of the most important musicians now writing.

From a former heavy metal band drummer comes this beautiful gentle and to me calming album.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 7.55.17 pm.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing