What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My new purchase : a Japanese single-layer SHM-SACD reissue!
:D
20210703_093008~2.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
@CKKeung Imagine my surprise at finding this import available for immediate delivery stateside. Thanks. :D

Fireworks and then Vivaldi after getting home tonight. Multiple bombastic soloists and pairings!

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Andrew,
A friend recommends this sacd boxset to me last week.

What's your view?
Thanks!

So circling back to you my friend, I had the opportunity to listen this morning to the 3rd Symphony. It is very competently done, and I feel a fool saying this - I mean who am I to offer any criticism of any conductor or orchestra - but I could not love it as much as the BSO under Andris Nelsons.

I hate to say it, but for me the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra is, respectfully, for me simply not as good here as the BSO, and I thought Mr Wigglesworth struggled to gel with them - it didn't seem quiet 'right'. The string sections in particular seemed to me to have a slightly odd tempo to them. I couldn't really get on top of it, or more correctly I couldn't really settle with it.

Still - all very competent and no doubt a wonderful SACD - but for me it lacked the out and out blood sport that are the Russians.

I shall try and Numbers 1 & 2 in due course.

I would be very interested in your thoughts once you get the SACD and hear the NRPO here.

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the recording - I certainly don't regret listening to it. BIS? - well excellent as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
The last couple of evenings I have been listening to this to fall asleep to. I commonly do this: have gentle music playing while I drift off. This is aptly named.

Cat: Aparté – AP001

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 4.31.17 pm.png

It is a 2009 recording with the wonderful Ophélie Gaillard. I love her playing, and have great admiration for the feeling she brings to each piece. Recording is excellent, IMHO.

It is a collection of works, and an album which I enjoyed very much indeed.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 4.34.41 pm.png

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A best-buy boxset for John Williams' music :

20210703_093024~2.jpg

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
A few days ago I listened to this. I enjoyed it. Beautiful voice. First time I have heard these pieces. I generally like Sibelius. But then I like Finns.

The cover art alone got me interested enough to dive in. Worth a quick stream IMHO.

So much music released every single day. Literally do not have time to listen to 1/100 of it.

Chandos: lovely recording by the engineers. Can't locate the catalogue number, but it was released 2 July - so brand new.

095115521724.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 6.37.40 pm.png

This from another site

"Written in 1913 for the diva Aino Ackté, the tone poem Luonnotar draws on text from the Finnish national epic poem, the Kalevala. Its virtuosic demands are ably met here by award-wining soprano Lise Davidsen, who also feature in the Suite from Pelléas and Mélisande, music re-worked by Sibelius from his incidental music written for the first performances of Maeterlinck’s play in Helsinki, in 1905, in Swedish. The tone poem Tapiola, from 1926, is Sibelius’ last great masterpiece and evokes the forests of his native Finland. The programme is completed by a pair of much earlier works, Rakastava and Vårsång (Spring Song)"

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
This last night - an absolute classic of a recording, very well known, by one of my favourite pianists. For me I prefer Moravec's renditions of Chopin and I like Perahia for everything. But who can criticism Pollini.

Chopin: Etudes Opp.10 & 25, Maurizio Pollini

Around half the tracks have the Maestro Listening Guide on PP, which I very much enjoy reading as the music unfolds.

Nothing much to say about this one: it has been extensively reviewed in the past, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest Chopin recordings.

From Gramophone Magazine:

Recorded 1972

The 24 Etudes of Chopin’s Opp 10 and 25, although dating from his twenties, remain among the most perfect specimens of the genre ever known, with all technical challenges – and they are formidable – dissolved into the purest poetry. With his own transcendental technique (and there are few living pianists who can rival it), Pollini makes you unaware that problems even exist – as for instance in Op 10 No 10 in A flat, where the listener is swept along in an effortless stream of melody. The first and last of the same set in C major and C minor have an imperious strength and drive; likewise the last three impassioned outpourings of Op 25.
Lifelong dislike of a heart worn on the sleeve makes him less than intimately confiding in more personal contexts such as No 3 in E major and No 6 in E flat minor from Op 10, or the nostalgic middle section of No 5 in E minor and the searing No 7 in C sharp minor from Op 25. Like the playing, so the recording itself could profitably be a little warmer at times, but it’s a princely disc all the same.

00028941379429.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Reactions: Andrew S.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This wonderful new release is available on Qobuz today. He's a remarkable pianist, and DG has given him rather close but excellent sound. I'll probably buy the hi-res files or the CDs (it's a 2-disc set) at some point.

1625856218221.png

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Hi Andrew,
A friend recommends this sacd boxset to me last week.

What's your view?
Thanks!

View attachment 79652
I have No.11 from that set--it's excellent. The bass drum whacks in the second movement will give one's woofers/subwoofers something to think about!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
A few days ago I listened to this. I enjoyed it. Beautiful voice. First time I have heard these pieces.
I am a bit of a nut about Luonnotar and this one is outstanding. So is the recording.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Admittedly this idea came from Sousa book I dragged out through the recent holiday. Elijah seemingly had a moment of popularity at the tail end of last pandemic. Despite the McCreesh looking increasingly interesting I picked up this locally.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing