What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Reactions: Andrew S.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Oh - two of our best Australians - thanks for listening to Elena and Tamara: Tamara is one of our finest pianists, and Kats-Chernin - originally from Uzbekistan - probably our preeminent contemporary composer and interpreter, and is a fine pianist in her own right. Kats-Chernin works cover just about every conceivable genre in the classical repertoire: classical composition and harmonic structure, dance company colloborations, operas, ballet and TV and film scores. Sort of the Anne Dudley of classical tv music here. Remarkable talents both.

Tamara is on the radio (ABC Classic Thursdays 3-4pm GMT+10 is anyone is interested) - she spends an hour or so "at the keyboard and discussing music" - here is the weblink: https://www.abc.net.au/classic/programs/duet/

Its a great show and I try not to miss it. She isn't on every week but most - but has of late - especially since Covid. Her Last guest was Lang Lang.
Nice bit of info, much appreciated!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Still pulling my way through listening to discs that piled up during the multiple seasons of 'indoor listening season.' By end of the month listening will be refocused on backlog of activity in here.

Folder.jpg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Very enjoyable. Qobuz 16/44.1
1629595922827.png

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Still pulling my way through listening to discs that piled up during the multiple seasons of 'indoor listening season.' By end of the month listening will be refocused on backlog of activity in here.

View attachment 81224
Interesting...I have this set by Hogwood. From memory (I have several sets), I favor:
- Furtwangler live performances
- Karajan '63
- Solti
- still settling my assessment of newer performance: Fischer (Budapest), Currentzis (Sony Classical), Honeck (Pittsburg/Reference Recordings)

Have you heard these?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We shall see...seems to hold promise for an exceptional performance:

1629602907675.png

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Carrying on the Kats - Chernin / Tamara Cislowski theme for a moment - these Satie interpretations are really quite beautiful, should a more soulful mood arise.

I listened to them last evening, and enjoyed them. Streamed from PrimePhonic. Great recording from DG.

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 5.13.34 pm.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Interesting...I have this set by Hogwood. From memory (I have several sets), I favor:
- Furtwangler live performances
- Karajan '63
- Solti
- still settling my assessment of newer performance: Fischer (Budapest), Currentzis (Sony Classical), Honeck (Pittsburg/Reference Recordings)

Have you heard these?

Since I'm digital only. The honest answer to your itemized sets is... not really. :)

Furtwangler on Tahra or Archipel have certainly been investigated. Even the '54 9th loses much in digitization, I suspect.

Karajan '63 on DG fared much better and was actually the first box of classical LP's astrotoy owned if you read down a couple posts. Much has been deservedly said about this set, but I refer you back to my opening comment. :)

Solti on Decca I own as well and have to admit your prodding will knock some dust off it. Memory is quite dim on particulars. This may be a dead heat between pressing and printing plant.

Of the contemporary recordings:

Beethoven is about the only Fischer on CC I've not heard. Have you heard Fischer (Danish/Naxos)?

Curentzis... too many living cups of anarchy are being passed around openly these days. No, thanks, none for me please.

Honeck is certainly the one I'd consider out of this bunch. Where I struggle and pull through that small bit more on this modern recording is related to how tedious interpretation and perfect playing kill this and every other overdone work to be found in every concert hall multiple times yearly. At times you can hear the overly polished approach reveal some oil being applied. An admission of age in what is perennially a Fresh! new concert work or release.

Of the digital era cycles, I think Vänska will be nearer the top than not.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Insanely good Beethoven...for an incomparable version to the others we own (Karajan '63, Solti, Harnoncourt, Hogwood, Fischer, Currentzis, Honeck, Rajski, Suitner). Not heard too many others. BTW, this is an exceptional remastering by Pristine Classical that (for me) vastly exceeds the DG remastering.

1629643623687.png

Reactions: Andrew S. and rando

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Beethoven is about the only Fischer on CC I've not heard. Have you heard Fischer (Danish/Naxos)?
Two different guys, I think.
Curentzis... too many living cups of anarchy are being passed around openly these days. No, thanks, none for me please.
Amen. It's what he does.
Honeck is certainly the one I'd consider out of this bunch. Where I struggle and pull through that small bit more on this modern recording is related to how tedious interpretation and perfect playing kill this and every other overdone work to be found in every concert hall multiple times yearly. At times you can hear the overly polished approach reveal some oil being applied. An admission of age in what is perennially a Fresh! new concert work or release.
Agreed. So far, I am generally positive.
Of the digital era cycles, I think Vänska will be nearer the top than not.
Yes but I'd put this half-series ahead of it:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing