What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Which title, Christian? Images aren't showing.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
This new release from Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante is another winner based on my first hearing of the first two concertos on the disc:

View attachment 32344

I never played any of the Leclair concertos but I did give a performance of one of his sonatas once. And I have to say, never did I ever associate Leclair and his music with a full but un-occupied bathtub in a rustic setting. I will never be able to listen to his music the same way again.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
I never played any of the Leclair concertos but I did give a performance of one of his sonatas once. And I have to say, never did I ever associate Leclair and his music with a full but un-occupied bathtub in a rustic setting. I will never be able to listen to his music the same way again.

The cover image is clearly meant to be enigmatic. I quite like it.

Leclair's Op. 7 concertos however, as performed by Biondi and Co. and captured by the Glossa recording crew, are ravishing!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Lovely nuances .....

image.jpeg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Staying late in the store, so I put on a favorite, 4 sides of good ol' Ludwig van...

4397794.jpg

Early 80s performance, recorded in digital, yet sounds decent! The strings are actually a bit soft and muted, but they seem to have the proper weight.
Walter Berry is just fantastic on the 4th movement, the recording capturing the drama of this entrance perfectly!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Nice performance and a spectacular recording .

image.jpeg

APP

Oct 1, 2014

+1
Taken from a concert at the Ruhr piano festival last July, these are performances on a grand scale, yet wonderfully fluent, charged with an infectious energy and effortless poise. They are perhaps remarkable most of all for the rapport between Barenboim and the Berlin Staatskapelle, whose principal conductor he has been for almost 20 years, but who are conducted here by Andris Nelsons. All too often in other performances of these concertos, the orchestra is kept firmly in its accompanying place; here Nelsons repeatedly reveals how much beauty and detail there is to be found in the orchestral writing, too. The playing is ravishingly refined, and there are countless examples of how carefully Barenboim matches what his colleagues do, and vice versa.
the Guardian

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Reinhard Fuchs: 'Wo Angst auf Umhülle prallt' for female voice and large orchestra (2001)

0015001KAI_fuchs_webcover_1_0.jpg

J.S. Bach: 'Ich glaube, lieber Herr', BWV 109

71-QruLXrCL._SL1500_(2).jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Analogue Production LP... audiophile-classic-rca-royal-ballet-ansermet-2lp-box-180g-no-0683-libretto_20727446.jpg

Highly recommended and easily one of the best sounding classical LP's. I did notice a little tape hiss on several of the quiet passages, however, the overall performance and the SQ are pretty much first rate, with the exception of the aforementioned. ( which IMHO is very minor). Very easy to listen to these bonbons....my wife even liked them!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Analogue Production LP...

Highly recommended and easily one of the best sounding classical LP's. I did notice a little tape hiss on several of the quiet passages, however, the overall performance and the SQ are pretty much first rate, with the exception of the aforementioned. ( which IMHO is very minor). Very easy to listen to these bonbons....my wife even liked them!

Fully agree, Davey, it's a gem.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Analogue Production LP... View attachment 32528

Hi Dave!

This is the recent reissue, like we had in the store, right?
Glad to know it sounds good :)

cheers,
alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Just bought the Analogphonic LP release of Sinopoli's Bruckner 8th with the Staatskapelle Dresden. Performance is sublime. Is there any better music than the 3rd movement of this work? The sound too, is noticeably better than any previous release of this performance, though it does still have some of that characteristic DG dryness and hardness, though nothing like the CD releases. You wouldn't even know side 1 goes for over 32 minutes - it is expertly cut over the 4 sides (a beautifully performed Strauss Metamorphosen is on side 4). A pity DG did not put this on SACD (so far as I am aware), though perhaps they might have thought the original 24/44 source material did not warrant it (though personally I think it does).

bruckner.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for sharing. I'm not familiar with this piece, but have enjoyed the Bruckner that I have been exposed to, so I will order this. Have you purchased any other recent releases that you can recommend? I hate to order just ONE LP...:)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What is meant by 'tulip' in this context, Christian?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Thanks for sharing. I'm not familiar with this piece, but have enjoyed the Bruckner that I have been exposed to, so I will order this. Have you purchased any other recent releases that you can recommend? I hate to order just ONE LP...:)

As per usual, I got a small batch of them via my twice yearly order (this one being my end of Autumn one here in the antipodes).

I have only played three so far but all have been very good indeed. Apart from the Bruckner above, I can also strongly recommend the new Speakers Corner Oistrakh Sibelius Violin Concerto reissue and the two-LP reissue by Warner Classics of Rostropovich playing the Dvorak and Saint-Saens cell concertos. The latter is remarkable not only because of the superb remastering (24/96) but also because they've put the Dvorak concerto across three entire sides and the Saint-Saens onto the remaining side. Other companies might have attempted to cram both concertos all onto one disc, though it must be said that Rostropovich has the slowest tempo I've ever heard in these concertos (stately interpretations versus the more energetic and urgent Starker ones, for example). The remastering really is superb and if you are used to the lacklustre EMI catalogue remasterings onto CD over the last few decades, this is a real eye opener in terms of sound quality. I think it is even better than the HiQ label were managing with their DMM mastering direct from the analogue tapes.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...Violin_Concerto_Ormandy-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...aensCello_Concerto_No_1-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

When I've got through all of them I will post regarding the good ones and any bad ones will remain un-mentioned!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing